PDA

View Full Version : turbo removal on minivan

1FastCSX289
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I know the general consensus is that it is easier to remove the whole head when swapping a turbo.......but what about on a minivan? The T2 is blowing some oil and I need to swap it out. Can it be done while the head is still on? Looks like there is some room back there and the turbo has only been bolted on for about 3k miles, so my concern for rusty bolts is minimal.

Dave
09-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Well some folks have been able to rock the motor forward, pull the downpipe and all the other lines, but honestly I don't know how people do it with the turbo flange being in the way. It would be a real pita to try and contort your hand in those tight places. That's the only problem I see with pulling it with the head on.

Give it a try though, what would you lose? Time?

turbovanmanČ
09-25-2006, 05:06 PM
I tried to do it on my van but no go, even removing the K-member doesn't give me anymore room. Theres more room underneath but up top, its tighter than a car.

DBB mini
09-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Took mine off my van twice yesterday. It's more of a PITA than the stocker. Took me 90min to remove.

Ubmbass
09-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah I agree, I have taken my stock mitsu off the stock van 3 times without removing the head. It wasn't that difficult.

1FastCSX289
09-25-2006, 07:59 PM
So mixed advice here.....hmmmm. I guess I will give it a shot. Ive got all the tools I could ask for and a lift (perks of the teaching job), so if it CAN be done, it will be done. Ive got to get a hold of another turbo and give it a shot......if turbovanman is right, than I guess I will just have to yank the head.

You guys that had success......what did you do? Did you just unbolt the turbo from the flange, yank the oil and coolant lines and pull it out through the bottom? Or is there another trick?

Stevien1
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
You guys that had success......what did you do? Did you just unbolt the turbo from the flange, yank the oil and coolant lines and pull it out through the bottom? Or is there another trick?

Remove the through-bolt for the front motor mount and lift up on it so the engine rocks backwards. This will give you more access through the exhaust tunnel from underneath. Yank the starter, oil/coolant lines, drop the exhaust, and remove the turbo support bracket.

If it's a Mitsu and it's not all rusted up, you can pop the band clamp that holds the center section on the turbine housing and remove it without having to dick with the four mounting nuts. However, you might be 10 yrs too late for this kind of luck though! ;)

If it's a Garrett- remove the four nuts using various combinations of wrenches (including the flame wrench), some foul language, more combinations of swivel sockets/extensions, more bad words, etc etc. ;)

It CAN be done!

Devsdaytona
09-26-2006, 02:34 AM
I took out my axle, front motor mount and undid the turbo lines and flange bolts and wiggled it. Then simlpy wiggled the new one in hooked up the lines on the top of the turbo and then it slid onto the flange. I found it alot easier than removing the head. Since the week before I had the head of for a turbo swap, then the turbo was no good, so I tried this way and it was easy.

Whorse
09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I got mine off from underneath the car by removing the DP bolts and then putting some magic spells on a universal joint. Best to pull the head if you can't rock the motor forward.

1FastCSX289
09-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Im gonna try it. Rocking the motor shouldnt be a problem. The lift will make it easier. I will take the front mount right out, rock it forward with "Big Bertha" (my favorite pry bar) and prop it there with the jingle jack. Sounds pretty easy, but im sure I will be calling the van every name in the book by the time im done!

cordes
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I have taken a couple of turbos off with the head on now. If the nuts are really rusted on there it is a kick in the nuts, but otherwise it is easy. I have done it on an L-body I might add. I use a long pattern wrench for all but the upper left nut. For that one I use a rachet with an extension. Works pretty well, and saves some cash.

1FastCSX289
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
I have taken a couple of turbos off with the head on now. If the nuts are really rusted on there it is a kick in the nuts, but otherwise it is easy. I have done it on an L-body I might add. I use a long pattern wrench for all but the upper left nut. For that one I use a rachet with an extension. Works pretty well, and saves some cash.

Yea, ive been hearing more and more guys doing this. If it werent for the fact that the turbo was just put together 3k miles ago with anti-sieze on everything, I wouldnt even consider it........

DBB mini
09-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I've always just pulled all the lines & brass fittings from the turbo, remove DP, remove support bracket, I use an end wrench & maybe a socket/wobble joint, some are accessible from the top side, remove all 4 nuts, may have to remove starter (I didn't), pretty much done. Good luck.

Devsdaytona
09-29-2006, 02:21 AM
I took out my axle, front motor mount and undid the turbo lines and flange bolts and wiggled it. Then simlpy wiggled the new one in hooked up the lines on the top of the turbo and then it slid onto the flange. I found it alot easier than removing the head. Since the week before I had the head of for a turbo swap, then the turbo was no good, so I tried this way and it was easy.

See, the car only ran for about 5 mins, so the bolts and everything were easy to get off.