PDA

View Full Version : Consulier crash test

GTP#44
11-05-2014, 06:04 PM
This is a picture of a picture that Mike found during one of our parts hunts at Mosler.
It is in rough shape but you get the hint..it's a great test.
I hope everybody can see it..

168glhs1986
11-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I simply can't believe that's all the damage from the crash test.....amazing engineering in that claim shell chassis.

DaveSkrab
11-05-2014, 07:03 PM
The Consulier was only subject to front crash testing, the MT900s had side impact on top. The crashed tubs that are still there are quite remarkable. Amazing what light weight and composite materials can do!

168glhs1986
11-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Yea the MT 900 weren't monocoque designs Just learned that during the Grassroots podcast.

And Warren refers to the GTP design as a clam shell whichbis a great visual.

player1up
11-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Cut the fenders away from the tires and put it back on the track! ;)

Rrider
11-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Listen the this GRM podcast "dumb grm stories" to hear about an impromptu crash test between two GTPs. I don't think you guys will be surprised to hear the results.

http://classicmotorsports.net/media/files/podcast/audio/grm_podcast_dumbgrmstories.mp3

GTP#44
11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
I know where that picture was taken at Mosler ,you wouldn't see that floor like that unless you moved stuff for two weeks solid...!

player1up
11-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Listen the this GRM podcast "dumb grm stories" to hear about an impromptu crash test between two GTPs. I don't think you guys will be surprised to hear the results.

http://classicmotorsports.net/media/files/podcast/audio/grm_podcast_dumbgrmstories.mp3

That is a great podcast...favorite quotes " I got on the brakes a little... but I just flat t-boned him " or " I'll never forget the sound, take 2 50gal garbage cans and bang them together, it's like a cartoon BOING "

Yeah, The guy interviewing Warren in podcast 38 says that he's probably one of only a handful of people in the world that has been involved in a "multi-consulier crash"
He said they just bounced off each other!!!

Reaper1
11-07-2014, 04:24 PM
On hard impacts with full composite structures like that (the crash test car), the entire thing needs to have NDI done to it to make sure delamination did not occur somewhere else outside of the immediate area of damage. Those impacts travel through the structure as waves and can actually cause unseen damage a large distance from where the impact occurred.

GTP#44
09-24-2016, 05:55 AM
This is a picture of a picture that Mike found during one of our parts hunts at Mosler.
It is in rough shape but you get the hint..it's a great test.
I hope everybody can see it..

Check this post from 2014 about the crash test .

polopharm
09-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Sorry to be ignorant , what is Ndi testing?

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

83scamp
09-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Sorry to be ignorant , what is Ndi testing?

Pretty sure it means Non-Destructive Inspection...

Which could be anything from visual inspection, to Ultrasonic or x-ray inspection. Depending on what is recommended by the manufacture...

polopharm
09-24-2016, 01:21 PM
And is done how?

Reaper1
09-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Yes, NDI = Non Destructive Inspection.

It can be done a number of different ways. Most likely it will start with a "tap test"...use a coin (usually a quarter) and tap on the areas around the damage to see if there's any delamination of the structure. This will get you in the range of what is bad in the immediate area.

More than likely the damage didn't spread beyond that, but a full inspection of all critical hard mounting points should be done.

Ultra-sonic is the next easiest and probably the least expensive instrumented testing. If you start to see cracking and such around critical hard points, etc. this is probably going to be a good thing to do. This is very similar to when women go to the doctor during pregnancy. It uses a special gel and a transducer. Kinda like radar that can "see though" hard stuff.

I wouldn't think anything more than that would have to be done...and probably wouldn't be paid for by insurance anyway, but if it were a hypercar or an aero structure, it would probably get x-rayed as well.

You can actually do the "tap test" yourself. To get used to it, pick an area that you know has similar construction as what you are inspecting (and is good) and tap on it with a coin. Listen to how the sound is...usually solid. If you tap on an area with delamination, it will sound more "hollow".

Inspecting boat transoms for wood rot is done in the same way.

Once you find the edges of where the damage is...you can start to plan the repair.

HTH

polopharm
09-26-2016, 06:34 PM
This was very helpful. Does not seem so daunting, the internet carbon fiber repair folks agree with the coin tap test and there is great info on structural repairs.
"Fiberglast" web site is very helpful