PDA

View Full Version : Lightning strike near a 85 and now won't run

Terry Again
09-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi I have a friend that has a 85 GTS that had a lightning strike near by it and the car won't start. I gave him a spare LM and now it runs. Is there anyone that can help/tell me if the stock 85 LM can have new info put on it to make a car run again? Or if anything can be done to it? The car will be mine here in awhile so I just wonder so I could have a spare LM again?
Thanks for any answers and reading this post,
Terry I'm brain damaged,whats your excuse?

Anonymous_User
09-24-2006, 06:59 AM
They can be repaired, but it is WAY more expensive than buying a used one from a board member. Hell, for a '85/86 LM you could probably find one for 25 bucks.

The lightning strike may have rendered it unrepairable, too.

Terry Again
09-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the answer so quick!! I was just wondering that. I was also wondering IF it could be reprogramed if it was possible to raise the programed boost levels and fuel levels Like the MP LMs do? Kill 2 birds with one stone!! :eyebrows: I do know after reading a few post here that what these guys are talking about is way past me!!:confused: I wondered if it could be done like a stck chip up to there and then have the boost levels go to 14 pounds? Could I still use it as a core to one of our venders for having a cal. done?
Thanks again,
Terry I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Frank
09-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Electricity does create both electrical and magnetic fields or something like that... LONG TIME SINCE FIELDS CLASS!!!!! PAIN!!!!! Anyway, it ruined... probably toasted the chip by probably erasing it.

Frank

GLHSKEN
09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
If it toasted the chip, It should more than likely be able to be socketed and a new chip (programmed of course) installed.

Terry Again
09-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I figured the EMF cleared it as another LM fixed it to start and run. I wonder if I could use as a core to have a vender do a cal on it? Or should I just use it to learn to take and add chips to it?:bowl: I hate to throw away as there is a day coming when parts will be scarce for older turbos!! So what to do??
Thanks for the post and replies,any one else?

Terry Again
09-24-2006, 10:08 AM
If it toasted the chip, It should more than likely be able to be socketed and a new chip (programmed of course) installed.

Thanks Ken you beat me to posting. Is that something a person can learn to do with out ruining the board? Or should this brain damaged guy find some one to do that,and hope it's not too expensive?
:lol: Goverment disability don't pay much!!
Thanks again,
Terry

MiniMopar
09-24-2006, 10:44 AM
The EMF probably fried all the silicone on the board. Some of the chips can't be found anymore. Not worth fiddling with it.

Terry Again
09-24-2006, 10:50 AM
WOW so negative:) I was afraid of that. Any way one could check to make sure?? Hate to toss away IF it could be saved?
Thanks man I do understand,

bn880
09-30-2006, 08:15 AM
They are right, and the 85 is not worth socketing/re-programming. You'd need to switch a few things and go to 87 TII to make things worth while. (IMO) It's quite easy if you find an 87 TII at a yard, but good luck these days.