PDA

View Full Version : 6AN male to 1/4 barb or hard line fitting for AFPR

Xtrempickup
09-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Anybody have the AN threaded return fitting for an ACCUFAB FPR. I have the thing, cant find a simple 6AN male to hose barb anyplace. all i find is threaded both ends. I need to put my AFPR in my car and nothing is helping me. I had a 6AN to 3/8 line but its too thick, the injector line is only 1/4. Don't seem to know where to get what i need. anybody see one someplace or have one lying around??

cordes
09-23-2006, 09:44 PM
I just put a univeral AFPR on my omni. If you have the universal acufab one that TU sells, and it is 3/8ths NPT thread on there, you will need to run a 3/8ths NPT to 1/4" hose barb fitting. Put that on there and then just bend and flare some 1/4 brake line to put it where you need it to go and then use 1/4" EFI fuel line to connect it all.

If your AFPR is of the style that requires the metric saginaw PS style fitting, then you can get a fitting to go from metric to 6AN, then you can get a fitting that will adapt hard tube to 6AN. I used a stub of 5/16ths to make a barb for my line. Hope this helps. I will be adding all this to my site in a week or so.

Xtrempickup
09-23-2006, 10:37 PM
its not the universal style one. i had a GM fuel line with fitting from their system, fit the regulator, but the line coming out was a 3/8, it fit but eventually it ripped my return line. its definately AN thread i was told, but get from AN to barb is the problem

TurboGLH
09-24-2006, 01:02 AM
its not the universal style one. i had a GM fuel line with fitting from their system, fit the regulator, but the line coming out was a 3/8, it fit but eventually it ripped my return line. its definately AN thread i was told, but get from AN to barb is the problem

There's a hose supply shop near my house. Give them a call and see if they have anything like that available (most likely), they had in stock the -5 a/n o-ring to compression fittings we needed instock a few months back so I'm sure something simple would be easy.

www.mcgillhose.com

Marcus86GLHS
09-24-2006, 10:59 AM
the stock TII fuel pressure regulator fitting (AN-style male thread X hose) that threads into the stock TII FPR will swap over to the Accufab unit. that's what i used.

cordes
09-24-2006, 10:18 PM

The GM style fitting is NOT an AN fitting. It is a saginaw fitting which is metric and a common power steering thread application. Do a search on www.turbobuick.com. Their stock FPR uses the same thread as the accufab unit that TU and FWD sell as a stock replacement for are car with the exception of needing the washers. That is because it is a AFPR origionally designed for a turbo regal.

If your AFPR does take an AN fitting, it is not the GM saginaw style fitting which I have seen on most all of the GMs.

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 12:23 AM
It takes a line that seals with the little oring on the end. its a -6AN with o-ring. i know this because ive checked it out. cant find one with a 1/4 line or barb tho

iTurbo
09-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Are you using the rail-mounted Accufab? If so, the female thread on the regulator for the fuel return is 14mm x 1.5 thread; not -6AN.

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 11:13 AM
ok so its not a AN, still havent found anything with a barb or pipe end to hook a 1/4 line to

Pat
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
A later T-I car will hvae a fitting into the end of the stock regulator with a few inches of 1/4" return line with a barb end.

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
what year later TI car. i could hit junkyards if i have an idea what to look at. i have an 84 TI here. older than that or newer ?

Garret
09-25-2006, 12:36 PM
yeah a Log Car

SwiftTech
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
no later T1, the log manifold FPR's just have hose barb on them already, no fittings. YOu need to look for someithing 88 and newer.

Garret
09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Weird cause I have two sitting infront of me from an 84 T1 and an 85 T1 that are both screw in fittings

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 12:52 PM
another wild goose chase i can see coming. i checked a 1 piece intake TII cars motor, nothing there, checked a TII 2 piece intake motor, nothing there. anybody going to the junkyard that can snag me one for a few bucks. but he is right , my 84 has the screw in style. sweet im set if i can get it out. could use anothe one also since i wont be able to move my 84 if i take this one off

SwiftTech
09-25-2006, 03:02 PM
weird cause my 84 doesn't, and the FPR on it mounts to the firewall, oh well learn something new everyday.

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
u are absolutely right its mounts to the firewall, but the fitting at the base of the FPR on the firewall screws in. its not like the pic he posted, but its a screw in, not a rail mount solid one piece regulator

Marcus86GLHS
09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
....another thing: are you even suppose to use a hose barb on a high pressure gasoline supply or return line? i've never seen that as OEM-style.....the way the stock hoses connect has a lot more integrity as once the clamp is secured the rubber hose will not pop off since there's a buldged-OD on the steel lines...even the stock Bosch FPR doesn't use hose barb connections..just a thought. an engine fire is a real bummer.

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 05:41 PM
bummer in the from a stock TI dept, mine has a nut on the fpr, but that is to hold the reg in place on the bracket. a return line isnt under as nearly as much pressure as the 3/8 inlet. if there was a fitting out there for this thing i wouldnt still be looking, but anyplace i look doesnt make anything such. still need something to work with. as far as an underhood fire goes, ill take my chances if i can find out with a hose barb at the least, no flaring on the end i'll even deal with

turbovanmanČ
09-25-2006, 05:55 PM
If you want, I'll get the TBI fitting and fit a barbed fitting on for you. I figure around $20-$30 or less depending on what the wreckers charge me for the line. LMK.

Marcus86GLHS
09-25-2006, 05:58 PM
hey what about calling the GM parts dealer, ask him to look up the line that is used on the 85-87 GN's, those cars used the accufab reg. maybe theres stock somewhere? worth a shot.

also dont forget hose barbs have sharp edges that can cut into the fuel lines, another reason not to use a hose barb with fuel.

Xtrempickup
09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
works for me, ill go for that shipped for that price of course ( but if you are gonna go through the trouble,) a normal pipe flared end to the hose would be perfect, nothing out there i can find. just make sure it fits the FRP. I dunno if a GM parts dealer would be able to even find me one and if they the stock lines on a gm are 3/8 i think

cordes
09-26-2006, 12:39 PM
My 90' 2.5 TI shadow had the proper size fitting with 1/4" barb on it.

Xtrempickup
09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
found a gm fitting today of a 3.1 MFI car that seems to be right, not the oringed kind, but same thread and a flared end

Xtrempickup
09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
found a gm fitting today of a 3.1 MFI car that seems to be right, not the oringed kind, but same thread and a flared end does the fitting on ur car have an o-ring, is it a metric thread or is it a AN or is it one thats like power steering. the one i pulled today the thread is good, the fitting base is flat. just wna see what you have installed before i do it and it leaks or something

turbovanmanČ
09-26-2006, 03:51 PM
The part in that pic won't work, you need the fuel line side with the o-ring.

Marcus86GLHS
09-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Simon's right, that fitting is gonna leak.

Xtrempickup
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
i bet so far so good tho i have that thing so tight if its gonna leak i guess i will see it

Xtrempickup
09-29-2006, 06:27 PM
WEll guess what, I ordered a -6AN fitting and it doesnt Fit. where the heck does everyone get their misinformation. how come i cant find the correct thread size nad pitch whatever anyplace on the accufab site or buick sites or what not. doesnt make much sense to have no listing of size

mw6886
09-29-2006, 08:17 PM
It's 3/8 NPT, thats why you can't find it in AN. Go to your local hardware store and get a 3/8 NPT to barb brass fitting. Works like a charm, just use good teflon tape.

Xtrempickup
09-29-2006, 09:12 PM
npt will never seal, i sell NPT, tahst the first thing i checked when i was looking for a cheap fitting. 1/4 is the one that fits and its loose, 3/8 will never turn into that opening

mw6886
09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Eh, I couldn't remember if it was 1/4 or 3/8. I am using NPT, and it works like a champ.

Xtrempickup
09-29-2006, 10:07 PM
i tried it first and found it was loose, i wont risk leaking using teflon with fuel. what i have now is tight, not right but ill watch it and see , if it doesnt leak, im never removing it to try to fix

cordes
09-29-2006, 11:21 PM
WEll guess what, I ordered a -6AN fitting and it doesnt Fit. where the heck does everyone get their misinformation. how come i cant find the correct thread size nad pitch whatever anyplace on the accufab site or buick sites or what not. doesnt make much sense to have no listing of size

There is no misinformation here. Just people who don't want to listen. I told you what to look for, and then I believe that iturbo gave the exact thread pitch and size on the previous page. You can lead a horse to water...

Xtrempickup
09-30-2006, 06:08 PM
got 2 from from a 2.5TI car thats about 90-91 now its done, thanks for that bit of correct info, anybody who needs one i have an extra

Marcus86GLHS
10-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Dont Use Npt Threaded Fittings With A Straight-threaded Afpr, You Are Asking For An Engine Fire.

Please Dont Give Folks This Horrible Tech "help".

Xtrempickup
10-01-2006, 11:27 AM
i used the correct things finally, 2.5L cars have the oringed fitting with the line on it the correct size