PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank dimensions

bfarroo
10-01-2014, 10:31 PM
I am going to need to fab up a gas tank at some point in time and would appreciate anyone who has their tank out at any point in time to get me dimensions so I can have one made. Also a general description or drawing of what the baffles inside look like would be great also. From what I've heard the company that made the tanks is out of business but any info that I could follow up on with that may be helpful also.

Thanks

Chris W
10-02-2014, 03:33 AM
I am going to need to fab up a gas tank at some point in time and would appreciate anyone who has their tank out at any point in time to get me dimensions so I can have one made. Also a general description or drawing of what the baffles inside look like would be great also. From what I've heard the company that made the tanks is out of business but any info that I could follow up on with that may be helpful also.

Thanks

I am pretty sure Johnny has the name and phone number for the company that made them for Mosler. You should check with them since they might still have the plans.

Chris-TU

player1up
10-02-2014, 09:37 AM
I think he posted a pic of the tank on here but there is one on his site on page 2 (http://www.consuliergtp.com/consulier2.html) of the restoration.
The company is Orlando Metal Works Inc. They are out of business.
A google search only pulled up some company info with a couple of names ( Timothy and Thomas Everhart ) and the phone number has been reassigned to some other company.
The original specs are either still at Rossion in a box somewhere ( lost forever ) or lost forever... :(
Aaron needs to make a tank cover so at some point he'll have to take his tank out. He owes me a few favors, I'll guilt him into getting the measurements. :eyebrows:
Does your car have the filler neck? Aarons car is also a targa, I've asked him to send some pics of the filler neck setup.

Chris W
10-02-2014, 12:00 PM
I think he posted a pic of the tank on here but there is one on his site on page 2 (http://www.consuliergtp.com/consulier2.html) of the restoration.
The company is Orlando Metal Works Inc. They are out of business.
A google search only pulled up some company info with a couple of names ( Timothy and Thomas Everhart ) and the phone number has been reassigned to some other company.
The original specs are either still at Rossion in a box somewhere ( lost forever ) or lost forever... :(
Aaron needs to make a tank cover so at some point he'll have to take his tank out. He owes me a few favors, I'll guilt him into getting the measurements. :eyebrows:
Does your car have the filler neck? Aarons car is also a targa, I've asked him to send some pics of the filler neck setup.

You might try contacting the current company on the off chance that the original company was bought out. Just like Rossion, sometimes employees continue on even though ownership changes hands and the guy who built them may still be there. Also, they may still have the plans in their records too like Rossion still has all these parts. It's worth a shot.

Chris-TU

DaveSkrab
10-02-2014, 12:27 PM
I too will need one. My plan is to visit with Brian Slowe to fabricate one. Likely won't be the exact dimensions or capacity of the original, but I'm ok with that.

player1up
10-02-2014, 01:22 PM
You might try contacting the current company on the off chance that the original company was bought out. Just like Rossion, sometimes employees continue on even though ownership changes hands and the guy who built them may still be there. Also, they may still have the plans in their records too like Rossion still has all these parts. It's worth a shot.

Chris-TU

I was hoping that would be the case, but when I looked up the number ( (407) 851-3730 (tel:14078513730) ) It's to an insurance agency now.

Chris W
10-02-2014, 03:47 PM
You need to research the original company. When I googled them this is what came up:

Vickers Metal Works, Inc.
www.vickersmetalworks.com/
Vickers Metal Works, Inc is a full service metal fabrication shop in Orlando Florida. From design to installation.
Google+ page · Be the first to review
6701 Edgewater Commerce Pkwy, Orlando, FL 32810
(407) 297-7546

player1up
10-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I saw that too, but when I called them, they said they don't make fuel cells and are not affiliated with Orlando Metal works.

168glhs1986
10-03-2014, 02:08 PM
My gas tank is for sale....$38k :)

Just bought another e30 m3 :).

bfarroo
02-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Just bumping this up in case anyone has their tank out.

DaveSkrab
02-21-2015, 08:39 PM
I am in the same boat as benji, I will likely have one fabbed up from a fairly local shop... in philly, who is somewhat familiar with these cars.

Johnny
02-25-2015, 01:15 AM
I have my seats out right now, I can measure for you.

bfarroo
02-25-2015, 01:50 AM
That would be great johnny, as much detail as you have time for, even if it takes 5 or 6 napkins to write everything down! I'm assuming the oddly shaped hump in the middle is to clear the center console and cables and such and the one on the left is obviously for the seatbelt. Where does the fuel exit the tank and where is the pump located? I'm assuming it uses an inline external pump?

Johnny
02-25-2015, 02:01 AM
Exit is at the bottom. And yes, it uses a inline pump. Part number is on my ConsulierGTP.com web site and here in the sticky section above.

Johnny
02-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Here are more photos of it.

- - - Updated - - -

And here are the drawings I made for you and measurements I took.

Johnny
02-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Sticker on tank.

Chris W
02-25-2015, 03:16 PM
I may also be interested in one of these tanks.

Chris-TU

GLHNSLHT2
02-01-2022, 11:10 PM
Anyone still interested in tanks? I work at Pyrotect fuel cells in oregon and can have these made. They probably won't be cheap, but cheaper than a fuel cell. I can ask if people want.