PDA

View Full Version : 8v lifter oil hole

iTurbo
09-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Is there any benefit to aligning the lifter oiling hole in the side of the lifter body with the oil galley passage in the 8v SOHC heads?

I have done this with all my builds in the past, but on a recent tear-down, I noticed that some of them were no longer facing the oil galley. Apparently some lifters tend to rotate a bit with the engine running.

cordes
09-28-2014, 02:21 PM
I've never done that. I would think that it is like rings on a piston, AR bolts etc. They move during their normal use due to pressure and vibrations. I think you'd have to somehow key a part like that to stop them from rotating in their slots.

83scamp
09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be able to turn. The only lash adjusters I've ever seen fixed were the mechanical ones. The MP versions were pressed in, and the Koffel's Place ones were dropped in with red loctite, and set-screwed in place.

Perfectly normal.

iTurbo
09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys. I had a feeling it probably didn't matter. When I install them I always face the hole to the oil galley in the hopes that they will pump up faster and get any remaining air out. I can't say I've ever had a problem, even though most of the time I take them out they are no longer facing the galley.