PDA

View Full Version : Source for enclosed trailer accessories

Turbo Joe
09-22-2014, 08:30 PM
so where do you guys go to buy add-ons and such for your enclosed trailer? Just bought one but want to add some things. An awning is on my want list as is more lights and other things.. I've always had open deck trailers but I finally have an enclosed 8.5x24 V-nose :) let me know places or sources please thanks :thumb:

86Shelby
09-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Speedway Motors sells a bunch of stuff for racers and their race car trailers. I haven't seen awnings that I recall, but lighting, storage, electrical etc they carry a bunch of.

looneytuner
09-23-2014, 10:00 AM
RV dealers for awnings.

turismolover22
09-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Were lucky enough to have a big trailer centre/distributor local. Though I've found if youcan find, or make, what you need from a hardware store, or big box store, it will be cheaper than a Trailer lot. Just like hitch balls at U-Haul are like 12 bucks.

Turbo Joe
09-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Speedway Motors sells a bunch of stuff for racers and their race car trailers. I haven't seen awnings that I recall, but lighting, storage, electrical etc they carry a bunch of.
cool i have them saved in my favorites list too for some reason, thanks :)

RV dealers for awnings.
thats all I keep hearing besides a post I saw somewhere about making the frame your self and gathering/making hardware but just buying the awning cover itself thru an RV dealer or something like that

Were lucky enough to have a big trailer centre/distributor local. Though I've found if youcan find, or make, what you need from a hardware store, or big box store, it will be cheaper than a Trailer lot. Just like hitch balls at U-Haul are like 12 bucks. yea I hear ya on that

fishcleaner
09-25-2014, 01:12 PM
My local marine store carries E-Track and all the accessories, you might get lucky there.

Dr. Johny Dodge
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Jegs also carry a lot of stuff to help store stuff in a car hauler

Turbo Joe
05-14-2015, 10:46 PM
well it's been a while but got an update on my trailer I picked up.. it's a 2014 and when i was looking around all of the ones i saw that were finished usually had a bench I didn't like or it had bad lighting of the color combo sucked ..
stuff like that and i thought to myself why spend the extra money on a finished when half the stuff would need to be redone to my likeing and end up costing me more? So the search narrowed down alot for me as I started looking for an unfinished trailer.
Then I happen to find one near me that was exactly what i was looking for too. went and checked it out and bought it onsite. over the rest of last year and thru the winter when i had time I got it close to finally done. 8.5k superwinch, 120v .5amp led lighting
fully insulated, and a 10k watt inverter running off of 2 massive AGM type batteries that have combined over 2k cranking power for power on the go. Just have to install the winch and that'll be it for now.. I got to many other things to do

turbovanmanČ
05-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Nice work on the bench unit. :thumb:

BoostedDrummer
06-04-2015, 01:08 AM
What are you going to do as far as the flooring goes? Also, what materials and cost did you use for the insulation and walls? I bought a 2014 Lark 8.5x20ft enclosed trailer a few months ago and it is bare bones. Great for taking the car to the track, but the ONE interior light doesnt work.

Turbo Joe
06-04-2015, 02:53 AM
flooring will eventually be the rubber coin style flooring with some alum.treadbrite strips on the ramp. As far as the insulation, I went with 1" styrofoam, it comes in 4x8 sheets and the trailer came with 3/8 plywood so I put that back up over the insulation, then covered it with that white heavy vinyal sheeting ( mainly used in wet areas ) that stuff is nice and easy to clean, but it's $30 a 4x8 sheet. As far as lighting goes, set your self up with a small inverter and get a few of those 4 foot shop lights like I got. They are 120v but only pull .5 amps, L.E.D., and are really bright!!! they did run me about $70 each though..I have 6 of them in my trailer and its like a surgeons room in there... yea a little overkill..but no shadows or dark spots :)
PS: all that stuff I sourced at my local Lowes or Home Depot except my inverter, that I got somewhere else.

Turbo Joe
06-04-2015, 03:05 AM
Nice work on the bench unit. :thumb:

thanks man :thumb:

BoostedDrummer
06-04-2015, 04:45 AM
flooring will eventually be the rubber coin style flooring with some alum.treadbrite strips on the ramp. As far as the insulation, I went with 1" styrofoam, it comes in 4x8 sheets and the trailer came with 3/8 plywood so I put that back up over the insulation, then covered it with that white heavy vinyal sheeting ( mainly used in wet areas ) that stuff is nice and easy to clean, but it's $30 a 4x8 sheet. As far as lighting goes, set your self up with a small inverter and get a few of those 4 foot shop lights like I got. They are 120v but only pull .5 amps, L.E.D., and are really bright!!! they did run me about $70 each though..I have 6 of them in my trailer and its like a surgeons room in there... yea a little overkill..but no shadows or dark spots :)
PS: all that stuff I sourced at my local Lowes or Home Depot except my inverter, that I got somewhere else.
So you unscrewed the original plywood from the wall, placed the styrofoam sheets on the wall(with glue, or sticky back?) and then put the plywood back up in their original place? Also, how did you managed to get the ceiling to stay attached to the roof? I've looked at the inside of my trailer to see how it can be done but the roof supports seem really flimsy, like they might bend or something.

I was thinking about using the black and white checkered tile pattern on the floor and adding a sealer over it in case anything leaks. As far as the ramp, I haven't made up my mind fully. I had thought about the aluminum strips for where the tires meet, but am afraid that the car will slip or spin the tires if it gets wet, like if I let the tail down in the rain or something. Thanks for the info!

86Shelby
06-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Perhaps swing by a local skateboard shop and see what they offer for the strips of the sandpaper type material they put on the boards. Something like that should offer plenty of grip dry/wet and still be friendly to bare feet.

mopar-tech
06-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Perhaps swing by a local skateboard shop and see what they offer for the strips of the sandpaper type material they put on the boards.

I suspect you will get robbed there.

Go to Home Depot in the paint section under tape, Duck or 3M brand tread tape.

Rrider
06-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Mcmasters has that stuff too. I like it better than rubber for pedals. I don't know if its any cheaper at HD/MCM versus a skate shop though.

acannell
06-04-2015, 12:58 PM
I think harbor freight may have that stuff too, throw in a 20% coupon and now youre in cheap land..

Dont forget ebay..ebay might beat them all

Turbo Joe
06-04-2015, 01:02 PM
So you unscrewed the original plywood from the wall, placed the styrofoam sheets on the wall(with glue, or sticky back?) and then put the plywood back up in their original place? Also, how did you managed to get the ceiling to stay attached to the roof? I've looked at the inside of my trailer to see how it can be done but the roof supports seem really flimsy, like they might bend or something.

I was thinking about using the black and white checkered tile pattern on the floor and adding a sealer over it in case anything leaks. As far as the ramp, I haven't made up my mind fully. I had thought about the aluminum strips for where the tires meet, but am afraid that the car will slip or spin the tires if it gets wet, like if I let the tail down in the rain or something. Thanks for the info!

1. yes, i numbered the plywood as I took it down so I can put it back up where it was. Sounds easy right? nope.. the plywood was attached to the trailer with these nails that have a twist grooves to them. Made it a real pain to remove, so when I put the plywood back up I used short fhcs woodscrews in the pre exsisting holes so it just thread right in.

2. the cieling wasn't bad at all. When I cut the styrofoam, I cut it carefully to size so it fit snugly in place. The frame work in my trailer gave me plenty to work with. The small ribs that make up the roof were 1" x 1.5" box tubing so the 1" foam fit flush with the roof when I laid the white paneling over it. It's a pretty strong roof but I wouldn't stand on it or anything.

3. Alot of people go with the checkerboard floor and it looks nice but I want something thats a 1 piece so nothing soaks thru and I can wash the floor incase of a mess happening. The aluminum treadbrite would be fine but you can use the traction tape too, but i'd go to like lowes or home depot for that like Gary said, it would be alot cheaper that way.

all in all, good luck with yours, I've had fun working on mine, making it the exact way I want it. Best of all its like a portable work shop where ever I go keeping me out of the weather. My trailer is a Horton Hybrid Hauler, GVW at 10k

Turbo Joe
06-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I'll try and post a pic of that screw nail I was talking about. I'm guessing alll the new trailer makers are using this method now? looks like screws till you try taking them out..

BoostedDrummer
06-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I had noticed they didn't resemble normal screws. But I'm definitely gonna try to get mine as nice as yours. I have a small winch that came off of an ATV that I cut apart to make a gokart out of, but I'm not entirely sure it will be strong enough to pull a 2300 pound Omni up the ramp if I break something one day, so thats another thing I'll be looking into.

I did a little bit of research last night and looking into flooring an enclosed trailer. The tile idea is nice, but, as you said, can leak between the tiles down onto the wood. I wound up on a website that sells the long, roll out vinyl flooring in a variety of patterns. It's also called linoleum. Its one solid piece, so anything spilled wont soak through it. After thats laid down, two parallel strips of aluminum where the tires would go should protect it well enough. Some people i've researched on different forums say that it eventually comes up, others say that if you prep it correctly, it'll be pretty durable for a good amount of time. One guy compared it to car paint. If you rush it, expect a bad product. Prep it, and take your time, and it'll come out right.

As far as the ramp, I'm thinking a few coats of some tough Rhino liner or truck bed coating should do fine for traction and weather proofing. The last thing I'm going to install in my trailer, somewhere hidden, is going to be a GPS tracker with Geo-fencing capability. It'll alert me or anyone elses phone that I program into it that someone is moving my trailer out of the "Geo-fenced" area I set up. Then I can log onto the trackers website and see in real-time where my trailer is at. Then, I can either call the cops, or do something else. I hate the thought of my trailer getting stolen.

dodgeman87
06-05-2015, 08:05 PM
A member of our local SDAC-Chicago chapter sells trailers. His name is Paul Smith of R&P Carriages, phone is 815-357-3292. Paul also has the record of the 2nd or 3rd fastest minivan. Tell Paul I sent you.

Jim Rieser

BoostedDrummer
06-06-2015, 01:07 AM
We already have trailers lol, no need for another one or my wife will kill me

dodgeman87
06-06-2015, 04:25 PM
I talked to Robin at R&P Carriages and she said they can get accessories, she said to give her a call.