PDA

View Full Version : Tool shed stays in the 13's tonight.

turbovanmanČ
09-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Well, my last attempt to make it out, wanted to get 12's before the 16 valve head but it wasn't to be. Corbys cal had shown up this morning so it was put in. Van seemed to run very nicely. Made it out to Mission, huge lineup at tech and I missed my first race. It looked good that we would get alot of runs in but then they started to trickle in, :( Tank with a good strong batch of C12 too.

First run, 2.0 60ft and I bog it badly, pig rich and the turbo won't spool, finally at just over 1/4 of the way she picks up, run a 13.7@98.94 mph.
Aprox 30 psi of boost.

2nd run, disconnected the alky and went back out, a massive burnout, crowd and the announcer went absolutely nuts, :nod: Another 2.0 60ft and it ran better but some slight detonation on top and 1700 egt's, :eek: clicked off a 13.5@99.42 mph. Need to figure out my launches, this cal acts weird off the line?

3rd run, hooked up alky, and set it for higher boost, put cam back to straight up-it was 4 deg advanced, two turns on MBC. Did my burn out and near the end, it stalled??????????? would't restart then finally came to life, another 2.0 60ft then it ran like ----, cutting out, lean and no boost???????? 17 sec run. Get back to the pits and check it out, no blown hoses etc. Brake torque it, 25psi easily. So I readjust the alky. Too bad I didn't get another run, the dew set in and they closed it so thats it for me this year folks, :(

All in all, had a blast this year, broke some wicked parts, broke my PB.

1FastCSX289
09-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, on the bright side, you'll have something to do over the winter and a goal to shoot for in the spring.

I just bought a devilsown alky kit (came in the mail yesterday :lol: ) So, im certainly no expert.......but doesnt the fuel curve have to be adjusted for the alky? How can you just "disconnect" it without adding fuel back in? My plan was to decrease the gasoline as the progressive controller added the alky. Or am I wrong?

Are you running slicks?

Aries_Turbo
09-23-2006, 09:25 AM
id set it up so the base tune is reasonable with no knock at 18-20psi and then only spray enough alky to keep the detonation down at 25+psi. I wouldnt rely on a secondary system (alky) as the main fuel source.... use the gas for that and use the alky as an additional fuel/detonation supression device. if you maintain a 11.5a/f the whole way from say 5psi to 25psi, the egts will start out low and eventually work their way to the point where they are too high. use the alky to keep the egts down and the knock away but make the car able to handle the boost up to about 18ish psi. any more than that and your timing will be too retarded.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
09-23-2006, 09:28 AM
What he said, I was using it for detonation control. Yes, using 22 inch slick slicks, have some 24.5's for next year.

Clay
09-23-2006, 09:47 AM
sounds like you were WAY rich down low. My GLHT did the same stall thing on the line when I put the +20s in it, and didnt keep it cleaned out before the burn out. So your tune may be off across the rpm range.

BadAssPerformance
09-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm guessing the 12 second tune is a littel fat ;)

Sorry to hear you didn't make it to 12's Simon! All us 8-valvers were pulling for you!

Our tracks are open till the end of Nov or later weather depending... maybe I can talk Turbodave into making his van beat your time this year ;)

GLHSKEN
09-23-2006, 11:10 AM
SIMON, why would you change the computer?? HUGE variable to throw in there for the last try...

Anyway, congrats on this years progress. The "Tool Shed" is marching down... Almost cracked the 100mph mark as well. My 1st year with the GLHS I finished the season with a 99.98mph mark... 1st pass the next year 106.27

1FastCSX289
09-23-2006, 11:53 AM
id set it up so the base tune is reasonable with no knock at 18-20psi and then only spray enough alky to keep the detonation down at 25+psi. I wouldnt rely on a secondary system (alky) as the main fuel source.... use the gas for that and use the alky as an additional fuel/detonation supression device. if you maintain a 11.5a/f the whole way from say 5psi to 25psi, the egts will start out low and eventually work their way to the point where they are too high. use the alky to keep the egts down and the knock away but make the car able to handle the boost up to about 18ish psi. any more than that and your timing will be too retarded.

Brian

It seems as if youre fuel curve is set up to flow the right ratios up to 25 PSI, then when you add the alky, youre going to go rich and negate a lot of the intercooling effects of the alky. It seems like you have to remove at least some of the gas when the alky turns on to maintain that 11.5 AFR.

93sundance
09-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Well at least you are 7 tenths faster than last year. Cut off another 7 tenths next year and you are looking at a 12.7 :thumb:

Come up to Michigan for a few runs! Our track will be open until October 31st. Some nights its kind of dead and you can get 20 runs in! You would also have theopportunity to race Jason's (j4278h) minivans.

www.us131motorsportspark.com

Aries_Turbo
09-23-2006, 02:25 PM
It seems as if youre fuel curve is set up to flow the right ratios up to 25 PSI, then when you add the alky, youre going to go rich and negate a lot of the intercooling effects of the alky. It seems like you have to remove at least some of the gas when the alky turns on to maintain that 11.5 AFR.

Naah, youd have to spray ALOT of alky to make it "too" rich. you have to flow 30% more alky than you would with gas to make the same A/F... plus you are only spraying enough to fog the intake to cool it down and to add just a little fuel for the cooling effect in the cyl... ie lower egt's. if you take out all kinds of fuel and spray more alky, you are trying to tune two independant systems apart from each other which is tough.

If you are hell bent on doing that, you can tune on pump gas for 11.5 a/f at ~15-18psi with no alky, then pop in some race gas and tune for 12.0 with race gas to 25psi. then drain the race gas and add the alky to get the tune back to 11.5-11.8 a/f. somewhat of a pain but not that difficult. I myself will just add some alky to my tune and use it soley for richening (additional fuel that isnt used for fuel but for cooling EGT's) and for cooling the intake charge too.

Brian

Rattlesnake
09-23-2006, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=turbovanman;80274]
3rd run, hooked up alky, and set it for higher boost, put cam back to straight up-it was 4 deg advanced, two turns on MBC. Did my burn out and near the end, it stalled??????????? would't restart then finally came to life, another 2.0 60ft then it ran like ----, cutting out, lean and no boost???????? [QUOTE]

You were quenching the combustion.

cordes
09-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Too bad you could not make it this year. Hopefully you will be able to make some good strides toward your goal over the winter.

WVRampage
09-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Well it never fails that when you realy want something like that it never happens.

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2006, 12:04 AM
SIMON, why would you change the computer?? HUGE variable to throw in there for the last try...

Anyway, congrats on this years progress. The "Tool Shed" is marching down... Almost cracked the 100mph mark as well. My 1st year with the GLHS I finished the season with a 99.98mph mark... 1st pass the next year 106.27

Yeah, I know, you know me, hehehhheee. I figured Corby's cal would work better as he basically had the same setup as me but alas, I guess not.

Thanks, I am upset I didn't run 12's but also very happy I got down to 13.4 and kept you guys laughing and my home crowd in intriqued.

BTW, I have a vid of the 13.5 and the announcer is funny. My friend was sitting in the stands for that run and I did the biggest burnout ever, all the smoke you see in that video is mine, anyhow, this little boy goes to his parents, theres that fast minivan, that thing is awesome, :nod:

93sundance
09-24-2006, 12:15 AM
u should seriously come to michigan and race at our track! its not that far from Chicago. Beavis comes up here all the time

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Dude, thats a 5000 mile drive-one way, I don't have that kind of time right now, :(

BadAssPerformance
09-24-2006, 11:32 AM
5000 mile sone way? holy cow... if you dont have teh time, just ship the van to us, we'll race it for ya ;)

93sundance
09-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Dude, thats a 5000 mile drive-one way, I don't have that kind of time right now, :(
:eek: Woah, for some reason, I was thinking you were from Chicago area. I must have accedently read someone elses profile thinking it was yours. :lol: What am I thinking? I knew you were from Canada, DUH!

yep, I think I read basassperformance's profile, lol!

BadAssPerformance
09-24-2006, 01:46 PM
LOL... yeah, our tracks are open thru November ;)

Ubmbass
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, that cal should work just fine for you. there is probably something else going on. I never had detonation issues. even without meth injection.

Directconnection
09-24-2006, 04:03 PM
corby...how's your van doing? Whens the next time it goes to the track? We are waiting for an 11.9x slip!

DBB mini
09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Nice! At least you're still holding 13s & not backstepping.:thumb:

Ondonti
09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I would tell you to hit up pacific raceways but I think they are done for the year also. I dont really understand that as Seattle should have good weather till about halloween.

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, that cal should work just fine for you. there is probably something else going on. I never had detonation issues. even without meth injection.

Not really detonation issues, just running rich. PM me your exact setup, or post it here.

Did you get 11's?

Ubmbass
09-24-2006, 11:58 PM
my setup when running that cal was

venolias .030
ported g head (poorly ported, fixed now)
26x8.5x15 m/t slicks
alabama man lsd (didnt work very well)
digital 6 plus ignition with hvc coil
3100 lbs
sc61 turbo on a stephane header
rpmv in a pretty much stock trans
walbro 255
52mm tb in a custom intake
powerstroke IC with 2 1/2 inch piping
3 bar +40's all stock wiring
bone stock suspension with air shocks on the rear

that's all I can think of right now. if I think of something else, I'll post it.

come to think of it, it was a bit rich at 55 psi base FP, I leaned it down to around 47-50. It was a pig out of the hole on stock FP

Ubmbass
09-25-2006, 12:04 AM
oh, btw, I was on my way to getting 11's this past friday (the last event of the year at my local track) and they cancelled the event because of rain. :(

I am gonna try to go to boise if they still have some events left this year.

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2006, 12:49 AM
3100 lbs

Wow, thats heavy, saw pics of your van with lexan???

turbovanmanČ
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM

venolias .030
ported g head (poorly ported, fixed now)
26x8.5x15 m/t slicks
alabama man lsd (didnt work very well)
digital 6 plus ignition with hvc coil
3100 lbs
sc61 turbo on a stephane header
rpmv in a pretty much stock trans
walbro 255
52mm tb in a custom intake
powerstroke IC with 2 1/2 inch piping
3 bar +40's all stock wiring
bone stock suspension with air shocks on the rear

that's all I can think of right now. if I think of something else, I'll post it.

come to think of it, it was a bit rich at 55 psi base FP, I leaned it down to around 47-50. It was a pig out of the hole on stock FP

Awesome, turbo is our main difference. I will lean it out and play around, looks like Friday I can maybe squeak out the last one. It did not come out of the hole very well but pulled on the top end, hence my good MPH.

Wow, thats heavy, saw pics of your van with lexan???

Mines almost 3600 lbs, :eek:

oh, btw, I was on my way to getting 11's this past friday (the last event of the year at my local track) and they cancelled the event because of rain. :(

I am gonna try to go to boise if they still have some events left this year.

Shitty dude, I was hoping for good news from you.

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Mines almost 3600 lbs, :eek:

WTF? With people and luggage in it?

turbovanmanČ
09-25-2006, 01:13 PM
WTF? With people and luggage in it?

Hahhaa, its fully loaded baby, power everything except seats, functional A/C and FULL interior except rear seats, :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Your seats and A/C weigh 540lbs?

I remove the seats and spare tire to race. Race weight is 3060 with 1/4 tank.

http://www.turbovan.net/van.html

93sundance
09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
I couldn't stand being like Simon and racing with full interior. LOL. I'd be ripping out the seats and other interior pieces in a heartbeat. I understand he is trying to have the fastest van with full interior. I just couldn't do it though. I'd be at the track thinking, dammit, I'm gonna get in the 12s no matter what it takes...hmmmm...what could I do...OUT COME THE SEATS!! You would see the seets (and other interior parts) laying in the pits, lol.

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2006, 02:10 PM
A couple years ago at the Mopar Nats, my Shadow went 13.01... I took out the rear seat and it went slower... LOL

turbovanmanČ
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Your seats and A/C weigh 540lbs?

http://www.turbovan.net/van.html

I guess so, thats also with me in it, I weight 185 lbs.

I seem to remember him removing some interior stuff and he did remove the a/c.

I should have clarified, I take out the rear seats, the front seats stay. Also, I know the cast control arms are heavier as are the GTC front brakes so that could be it?

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Not sure if the 3060 is with or without Paul (maybe 250lbs?)

http://www.turbovan.net/mod_list.html

DBB mini
09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
My 89 van weighs 3000 even with 1/4 tank of gas & without me. I'm 170. Dude Simon you have a serious problem if you're outweighing me by 600lbs. Look for lead inside the doors, inside rear axle, under the carpet, etc.:lol:

Ubmbass
09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
my van weighs 2460 now, without me..

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2006, 08:48 PM
my van weighs 2460 now, without me..

Yeah, now thats more like it :thumb: And how much do you weigh, if you dont mine telling ;) And that was how light when you went 12.50's?

EDIT: And for those curious, that is 50# heavier than my Z! :eek:

Ubmbass
09-29-2006, 12:19 AM
When I ran 12.5's the van weighed 3130

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Any luck on finding another drag strip Corby?

Ubmbass
09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
yeah, I am racing tomorrow at my local track.. I got invited to race at the night of fire event with the jet cars. Should be fun, a bunch of people who haven't seen my van race before.