PDA

View Full Version : where to put the restrictor...

Aries_Turbo
09-22-2006, 09:23 PM
ok, my turbo doesnt smoke nearly as bad as before since I put in a 10 micron filter but I have a feeling that the good ol melling pump is still over pressuring it. I mean, I have 2x+ the oil pressure that you need per rpm.... Ie 20psi at 1000 rpms, 60psi at 3000 rpms etc...

what Im wondering is if I need to put the restrictor right at the turbo (I have a .060 1/8npt male/female fitting) or can I put it anywhere in the oil feed line? t

thanks

Brian

GLHSKEN
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Brian, Contact CSXTRA. he put a filter off the oil distribution block that eliminated his issue. It's almost easier to change the oil pump isn't it. Rather than band aid the issue??

Aries_Turbo
09-23-2006, 02:17 PM
I have that filter that he talked about. He and I have already talked about this. it helped but didnt stop the issue. the turbo is only oozing oil from the exhaust side. Im gonna assume that if you put the restrictor anywhere in the feed line, it will be fine but I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion and I wanted Chris W to pop his head in here too.

I do like the beefy oil pressure but I just want to reduce the pressure to the turbo. If I cant get it to stop smoking, i may just change the pump.

Thanks though Ken,

Brian

Bardo
09-23-2006, 02:38 PM
i love the cat :D

Chris W
09-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Brian,

Be careful when using the 10 micron filters. While they may be okay for use during the warmer months, a few of our customers have experienced limited oil pressure to their turbos at start up once the temps begin to drop. We have since moved up to the 60 micron Stainless Steel mesh cartridge filters since we found that the flow is more consistent then solid sintered versions. Micron size is better controlled with SS mesh screens while sintered filter pores can vary in size. The smaller pores tend to clog up sooner then the larger ones which limits the flow and overall filtering surface area. Sintered filters are very cost effective though, especially in applications where reduced or complete flow stoppage does not cause damage to the very component you are trying to protect. They are used successfully in pneumatic (air/gas) applications or for less viscous fuids such as light oils, fuel, water, etc. For mission critical applications such as turbo filtration, we prefer to offer our SS mesh version. Repairing a turbo can get expensive so using an inline filter is a great way to protect your investment.

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=111_92&products_id=47

Also, I really DO NOT recommend oil restrictors in the turbo oil supply line. As Ken mentioned it is merely a band aid. You need to address the Melling oil pump issue and replace it with something that will provide the correct pressure throughout the RPM range.

Hope that helps,
Chris-TU

Aries_Turbo
09-23-2006, 11:32 PM
yeah I really outta just put in a stock mopar pump with maybe the MP spring kit to make it a touch higher. I'll do that in the spring. yeah the filter I have in there is a sintered bronze filter. I clean it (backflush/high pressure solvent spray) every time I change the oil so I dont fear it for now.

I thought you said Chris that some turbos, possibly yours, come with a restrictor at the inlet? I could be mistaken though. i did recieve my clutch the other day. :) thanks.

Brian