PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged Jeep Wrangler

TrrboJeep
12-20-2005, 12:13 PM
If anyone out there is unhappy with the performance of their 2.5L AMC Jeep motor (87rwh), and has been considering a motor swap, think turbo! I've been running a Garrett 60/48 turbocharger on my 1999 TJ now for about 5 years. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about adding a turbo to the AMC 2.5L/ 4cyl. Check the Gallery for pictures of this setup! :)

Turbodave
12-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Awesome install! How is it's driveability off-road? Just curious if the peakiness of the turbo changes anything.

8valves
12-20-2005, 07:59 PM
I'll tell you I'm dissapointed in my winter ride, 90 Wrangler w/ the AMC 4.2. It's now actually a 4.5 or so after a .060 overbore, and the thing is still a DOG! Maybe I should turbo that and we'll go and run 'em!

Either way, I think your Jeep is pretty awesome. Cool stuff there and way to be different.

Aaron Miller

Frank
12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Its a great site. Too bad I didnt get a better look at it during SDAC-15... stupid daytona was giving me hell!

TrrboJeep
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Awesome install! How is it's driveability off-road? Just curious if the peakiness of the turbo changes anything.
Dave,
Of road maners diden't change much. When your using 4wheel low range, you rarely put enough load on the motor to get much boost. But when I go to the sand dunes the added power really comes in handy. It's nice to be able to spin all 4 33" tires up a 300' tall 45 degree sand dune and not bog down!

I'll tell you I'm dissapointed in my winter ride, 90 Wrangler w/ the AMC 4.2. It's now actually a 4.5 or so after a .060 overbore, and the thing is still a DOG! Maybe I should turbo that and we'll go and run 'em!
Aaron,
If you turbo'd that strait six, I wouldn't stand a chance against you! lol
I have a friend out in Yuma, AZ who has a turbo on his 4.0L (actually it has been bored and stroked to a 4.6L) he's putting down 750 hp to the rear wheels at 20psi! He's running a 4,500 rpm stall speed converter and red line is 7,500! I attached a few pics for you. Nothing like being able to put daylight under the front wheels in all 3 gears, in the dirt! :eek:

Frank, it sucked about your car at SDAC15, but SDAC16 is fast approaching... Now that I'm a member there WILL BE a blue Jeep out there in the staging lanes this year... should be quite the site! lol

Frank
12-21-2005, 09:53 AM
That Jeep is sweet! Yeh if I go, I will be flying out.

Frank

afsautoworx
12-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Dang, ive been wanting to turbo my 93 Cherokee 4.0HO , does your friend have a aftermarket engine managment system or something different. Id be interested in any information about turbocharging a 4.0. I like how he put the turbo on the other side, at first it didnt make sense to me but the more i thought about it, the more it MADE sense.

8valves
12-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow, that's intense. I wonder how it's so rev happy, this thing gets pissy if I try to take it over 3K rpms trying to get up to speed on the freeway!

I should take my old 50 trim and throw it on there real quick.

WAIT! On the 4.0 is the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the engine bay? I don't think so... am I wrong here? Then how..... why..... weird.

Aaron Miller

TrrboJeep
12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow, that's intense. I wonder how it's so rev happy, this thing gets pissy if I try to take it over 3K rpms trying to get up to speed on the freeway!

I should take my old 50 trim and throw it on there real quick.

WAIT! On the 4.0 is the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the engine bay? I don't think so... am I wrong here? Then how..... why..... weird.

Aaron Miller
Aaron, you're right. The 4.0L does not have a cross flow head, none of the Jeep in-lines did, 4 or 6's. There is just a nice amount of room on the passenger side of the motor for the turbo. So you mount it there and plumb the exhaust to it! The 750 hp stroker is running a high dollar Hesco (aluminum) head, and yes he does have a stand alone controler running the fuel and electronics. I can find out more about his setup or you can check out their web site at www.104racingteam.com If you check out the video section, look for video's with the name Felix in them. He's the guy with the turbo Wrangler! That Jeep can accelorate faster in the dirt than most cars can on pavement! lol

afsautoworx
12-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Ill check out his website, thanks for the link. :thumb:

Omniboy
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
that is nice man

glhs502
03-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey Trrbo Jeep I have a few 2.5AMC questions, my 1998 Dakota has the same 2.5 Jeep engine, Its looks to be a nice HD 4 banger. I was thinking about getting a T2/T3 exh flange welded to the exh manifold and mounting a T2 turbo to it, run some tubing for an intercooler, plumb up the oil/water lines. Install and FPR from a turbo dodge car and set my G-valve at about 8psi. Will the pistons handle some boost if I don't go crazy?
How much do the injectors flow? What will happen when the MAP sensor sees pressure instead of vacum??
I like the way you mounted your turbo on the right side of the engine but I want to keep my AC, plus there seems to be plenty of room on the left side off the exh manifold. Let me know what you think..
Also will all or most parts for the 4.0 six work on the 2.5? I thought about getting some better ratio rocker arms.

Thanks
Derek Price
GLHS 502
'02 Dakota QC 4.7 HO CAMMED
'98 Dakota RC 2.5--its red..

TrrboJeep
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey there Derek,
Sorry for the long delay in responding. To answer your questions... yes the stock pistons will take some boost without going south on you. 8psi is probably about the most I'd try to run on the stockers. The stock injectors are rated at 22lbs/hr and not up to the task of fueling a turbo. You'll have to get some bigger ones. I'd recommend 36's. As far as the MAP sensor goes mine lasted for 4-5 years seeing boost but eventually failed. Do yourself a favor and install a small one way check valve between the sensor and the throttle body and you'll save yourself an $80 tab on a new sensor down the road. Yes, the rocker assemblies are identical between the 4.0L's and the 2.5L's. Just remember, increasing the ratio of the rocker will also increase the valve overlap, which for a turbo application is not a good thing.

To help out with detonation, slot the bolt holes in the crank sensor mounted on the transmission bellhousing, and rotate it slightly. I have found that it can be moved enough to take initial timing from 12 degrees of advance (stock setting) to around 8 degrees. :eyebrows:

Good luck. On the Jeeps, we don't have the room you Dakota guys do on the exhaust side of the motor. :( Otherwise I'd have probably mounted mine on the manifold as well.

glhs502
04-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the reply...

Dave
05-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Joel I want to see your Jeep real badly this year. It's a shame we left too early last year. Bring it to the Host Hotel. I promise I'll give yeh some good burnouts in the parking lot. :thumb: I'm going for the longest sober burnout record this year!!!!!!!!

TrrboJeep
05-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Bryan,
I most likely will not be there this year. :(
It is a 12 hr drive for me, and I don't have the time right now to commit. I will just have to view all the pics when it's over.
I've been entertaining the idea of selling the Jeep this summer? I love it, and it is a real head turner, but it takes up a lot of my time & $$$, that I would rather spend with my family right now. My son is 6 and my daughter is 3. They need a lot of Dad time and guidence at that age, so my turbo addiction will have to be put on hold for a while. :nod: I'm OK with that.
BTW, congrats on breaking into the 13's with the Spirit.

Joel

mpgmike
06-27-2006, 01:54 AM

Aaron Miller
My brother had an '88 Wrangler with the 4.2 (total dog) we installed the 4.0 head on. I did some port work on it (nothing radical like I'm doing lately), 0.030" overbore, added a fuel injection system from an '89 Cherokee, a Comp Cams (can't remember the specs) set-up, a '93 exhaust manifold, and a 2.5" complete exhaust. Even with the mudders on it it kicked total butt!

The 4.0 head has raised intake ports, larger valves, and larger ports when compared with the 4.2 head. There are a couple of coolant passages that need welded/plugged shut, then the head gets milled. Use the 4.0 valve train and push rods, but with a 4.2 head gasket. If keeping the carb intake, there are some dowl pin holes that need to be redrilled lower on the manifold to mate up properly with the head, but like I said, we went EFI.

Mike

moparzrule
11-05-2006, 11:15 PM

Either way, I think your Jeep is pretty awesome. Cool stuff there and way to be different.

Aaron Miller

Is a 90' still carbureted? If so you have some options for more pep. First change over to an HEI or TFI style ignition with atleast 8mm plug wires and set your gap to .045 on the plugs. I picked up about 10-15 HP, when you only have 110 to begin with 10 HP is a large difference. Next focus on the exhaust, headers and a single 2.25 or 2.5'' exhuast makes a huge difference. After that the stock BBD junk carb needs swapped, there a couple options. One of the best is the motorcraft 2150 swap, there's a guy on ebay that has them on all the time. It's a complete swap, custom adapter, custom brackets, and rebuilt carb to whatever specs you tell him all for $260. Or you can go with an offenhauser 4 barrel intake and an edelbrock 500 would be a good choice.
All of those mods and you would be closer to around 140-150 HP and a good bit more torque too.
I have an 87' AMC eagle with the 4.2. So far I have the HEI ignition, 8mm wires, and straight through 2'' exhaust (with the stock manifold). Swapping out the cat for a glass pack made just as much difference as the HEI ignition, now acceleration is tolerable. Next is the carb though, it studders too much and gets very annoying.

redwrangler09
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
If anyone out there is unhappy with the performance of their 2.5L AMC Jeep motor (87rwh), and has been considering a motor swap, think turbo! I've been running a Garrett 60/48 turbocharger on my 1999 TJ now for about 5 years. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about adding a turbo to the AMC 2.5L/ 4cyl. Check the Gallery for pictures of this setup! :)

dude, i tottaly want to tubo my 1995 jeep wrangler 2.5l 4cyl. i got an idea of what i need but want to make sure i got all the facts. im about to purchase a stock tubo that came off of a srt-4 neon. it comes with the manifold, but theres no way itll jus bolt up to the jeep. so question 1.) am i going to have to custom make a manifold, because i havent seen on on the internet. 2.) will i need a stand alone fuel system? 3.) what should i use to connect the turbo to the intake? thanks a bunch

cordes
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
dude, i tottaly want to tubo my 1995 jeep wrangler 2.5l 4cyl. i got an idea of what i need but want to make sure i got all the facts. im about to purchase a stock tubo that came off of a srt-4 neon. it comes with the manifold, but theres no way itll jus bolt up to the jeep. so question 1.) am i going to have to custom make a manifold, because i havent seen on on the internet. 2.) will i need a stand alone fuel system? 3.) what should i use to connect the turbo to the intake? thanks a bunch

Welcome to the site. You are coming in with some style bringing this thread back from nowhere for sure.

There was someone else on here who had a turbo wrangler with the 2.5 in it. IIRC he was spraying alky and running a SMEC or SBEC if memory serves correctly. I don't know what he was doing for an intake though.

bfarroo
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I'd think the Turbofold from the SRT4 would be hard to work with the AMC 2.5 as the manifold and turbo are one piece. The only thing you'd really be able to bolt the SRT unit to would be a similar 2.0/2.4 head.

redwrangler09
04-30-2010, 10:56 AM
ok cool. im really jus lookin for some more power. nothin huge but just a lil extra kick for the road. the jeeps got 35's with 4.88 diff gears and pulls them good, but jus want some speed and power behhind it. what do you think abt gettin a custom turbo manifold with a small turbo or if you have a turbo you'd suggest? as far as fuel goes, i hear of a lot of people puttin a blow by system on the carb on bigger motors, but would it work on the 4cly? thanks

redwrangler09
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the site. You are coming in with some style bringing this thread back from nowhere for sure.

There was someone else on here who had a turbo wrangler with the 2.5 in it. IIRC he was spraying alky and running a SMEC or SBEC if memory serves correctly. I don't know what he was doing for an intake though.

ohh ok well what would you suggest for doin this? do you think a custom manifold with a blow by fuel system would work? thanks

contraption22
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Just now reading the earlier portions of this thread.... I am imagining the sound of a 4.0L Jeep motor at 7000 rpm, and it makes me uncomfortable! lol

Reeves
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Just now reading the earlier portions of this thread.... I am imagining the sound of a 4.0L Jeep motor at 7000 rpm, and it makes me uncomfortable! lol

I think I poo'd a little.

Captain Chaos
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Last Activity: 12-19-2008 03:17 PM

I remember him on the forums, wonder whatever happened to him.

contraption22
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I think I poo'd a little.

haha. America's answer to the 2JZ!

Big_P
04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Last Activity: 12-19-2008 03:17 PM

I remember him on the forums, wonder whatever happened to him.

Me too, he was a knowledgeable guy.

ShadowBrad
05-01-2010, 01:40 AM

Aaron Miller

Yeah even a stock 4.0L is a lot more rev happy than the 4.2L. The 4.2L has a smaller bore and longer stroke than the 4.0L. My friend's '90 Wrangler with the 4.2L would only rev to 4500 if you really pushed it. But my '88 Comanche with the 4.0L would easily pull to 5500 and was still making power up there.

Oh yes. That would be a seriously awesome sound. I always wanted to turbo my Comanche when I had it. Would have been a seriously fun 2WD truck.

-brad

cordes
05-02-2010, 10:12 PM
ohh ok well what would you suggest for doin this? do you think a custom manifold with a blow by fuel system would work? thanks

I forget his member name, but he was on here and IIRC he had a cardomain page too.

Does anyone remember the guy's screan name?

Vigo
08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh yes. That would be a seriously awesome sound.

I think they meant it would be a terrifying sound. If taking a stock 4.0 to 5000 rpm is 100% pointless and noisy, taking one to 7000 would be.. 300% pointless and noisy. Its definitely not a linear slope.. lol.

And what did you do to your 4.0 to make it make power at 5500 rpm? And by still making power do you mean 30hp or 130hp? If it was anything over 130hp at 5500 rpm id be impressed.

Dont get me wrong, i love the motor and still plan to build one (on my 3rd cherokee, so it must be getting closer..) but in stock form rpm is the enemy of the 4.0. Part of the problem is that the plenum is... not really a plenum.. its more like a 'runner extension' that takes off at a ninety degree angle from the main runner, has more runners stealing air out of it, and after like 27" makes another 90* turn to a throttle body thats WAY too small for a 4.0..:lol:

ShadowBrad
08-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Agreed the intake on the 4.0 from '88 is very terrible. The ones for the 4.0 HO with the 60mm throttle body are slightly better design. As far as making power there, no clue how much, I just meant it hadn't completely fell on its face yet, it would still be accelerating in 4th gear at that RPM. And I do agree with you, shifting that high on a stock 4.0 is kinda pointless, I usually shifted around 4500-4700 and got good results. Really all I was meaning was that the 4.0 would rev much easier than the 4.2 in stock form.

The previously mentioned 4.0 that was revving to 7000rpms. I believe it was said earlier in the thread to be heavily modded.

-brad

Vigo
08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I can see the 4.0 revving high just fine with a custom plenum, ported head, and different cam. Certainly nothing we dont do on other low-revving tractor motors we mod out (i.e. 2.2/2.5) :)

jeepwrangler1999
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I have a friend who will sell me a t3 turbo almost new for $100. Will this work for my 2.5l? i have a 99 wrangler as well! And my engine is brand new (10k miles) all stock internals though. What are things looking like for me? =)

Vigo
09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Well how well suited it is depends on what kind of t3 it is.. Is it the kind that came stock on these turbo dodge cars? If so it will work pretty well for a 2.5L jeep!

jeepwrangler1999
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I have a similar question. Do i need to get a fab shop to custom make my manifold?

Vigo
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Which manifold?

If you were trying to fit a turbo directly onto your exhaust manifold then it would need modifications from a shop with some good fab ability.

BUT, if i were you i would skip the idea of mounting it on the manifold entirely.. Just run the exhaust pipe under the motor and come up the other side and put it in the passengers side of the engine bay. Many turbo 2.5/4.0 people have done it this way and not only is it simpler from a fabrication point of view, it also makes the turbo far more accessible and simplifies your charge piping as well. I think it is just the better way to do it.

jeepwrangler1999
09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I tried to private message TrrboJeep but it wont go through. Can you pm me please? Thanks!!

jeepwrangler1999
09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
OH sorry Vigo ive been checking this forum everyday and i always forget to check and see if you answered me. Would getting a turbo for my stock motor be worth it? I know i should run more than 8lbs of boost otherwise detonation could occur. Im tight on money again so itd be hard for me to do all the engine mods that TrrboJeep has. I guess the bright side of doing it now is getting the turbo and everything hooked up with my 24lb injectors. and if i come into some money later i can then take everything down and do what TrrboJeep did! =) But what will i do tuning wise?? Thanks for everything

Vigo
09-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Would it be worth it? Well, i guess it depends on what your criteria are. The power gain will be dramatic, but if you dont do any of your own work (fabbing plumbing, doing some tuning, etc) and pay someone else to do it all, it might not be worth the thousands you'll spend..

If you can or have friends that can do stuff like cut and weld pipe, you are most of the way there! Once you get the manifold to turbo pipe done and get the turbo properly braced, the rest is pretty easy mechanically for a basic setup.. a short charge pipe, blow off valve, oil plumbing to the turbo and back to the pan..

As for tuning, there are differing ways to go about it. If you were to stay at low boost you could do something strictly mechanical like an adjustable base rising rate fuel regulator and some slightly larger injectors, possibly along with the freebie base timing mod mentioned earlier in the thread. If you want to have more control or take the boost further, id skip the fuel pressure tinkering and control the larger injectors with a piggyback controller like the AEM FIC. I just got one and though i havent used it yet im learning that it can be a very powerful tuning tool.

jeepwrangler1999
09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah my best friend owns his own fab shop =) I can get the turbo this weekend. I barley know this guy though. So im kinda iffy about buying it from him. Anyway to inspect it to be positive its a functioning turbo? Any recommendations on what type of BOV to get? Thanks =)

Vigo
09-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Well the obvious thing is shaft play but also look for coked up oil in the turbine discharge area and especially in the oil drain part of the center section. A little flashlight might help with that.

As far as bov, no suggestions really other than just whatever looks like you can fit it in/on your charge piping the easiest. Pretty much anything will hold the low boost we're talking about. If you get one that's on some kind of pipe make sure it's no smaller than your turbo compressor outlet. There are some factory BOV's on really tiny pipes out there!

jeepwrangler1999
09-16-2010, 06:45 PM
I cant beleive i forgot to ask about an intercooler. Will i need one with this single didgit boost?

Vigo
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Not strictly. Skipping the intercooler will simplify your charge plumbing a LOT in the beginning because your charge pipe will just be ~2ft of pretty straight plumbing.

Having an intercooler is almost always better and you'll probably want one eventually but if you want to take this one step at a time and focus on getting the setup BUILT and RUNNING before you worry about making power, you can easily run a few lbs of boost without an intercooler.

jeepwrangler1999
09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Alright. I have the turbo in hand. Its a Borgwarner 51T/32. :eyebrows: The turbo is in great condition. No shaft play and the barrings sound great. I took some pictures but i cant figure out how to post them with my reply so maybe you can see them through my profile.

Vigo
09-21-2010, 01:18 AM
I didnt see them in your gallery..

If you've already got them hosted somewhere and you are using firefox, you can simply go to the picture, right click and select 'copy image location'. Then in the reply box here click the button that looks like a mountain and right-click > Paste the URL into the window. Then it will show the picture in your post.

jeepwrangler1999
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=518#
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=518#
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/images/garage/attach/garage_vehicle-518-12850369213.jpg
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/images/garage/attach/garage_vehicle-518-12850369224.jpg

jeepwrangler1999
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/garage.php?do=user_garage_view&id=5310

jeepwrangler1999
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Okay there we go. The Second link goes to my garage and there are a few more pics.

jeepwrangler1999
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh and also ive been looking at differnt pictures everywhere and trying to see how people have mounted their turbos i theese jeeps. How would you suggest that? Thanks for everything :clap:

Vigo
09-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Take a look at this for an idea of how it would all go together.. as you can see, the piping you need to fabricate is actually really simple.

But please disregard the part where it says that without a blow-off valve the pressure from the turbo will bend your throttle blade...:banghead::rolleyes:

http://www.505performance.com/JP_magazine_NOV_2009.html

sabrina
09-05-2011, 02:39 AM
I agree that intake on the 4.0 from '88 is very terrible.

Mr.Mopar
09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
The best flowing intake for the 4.0 is the 99 and up version.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

roachjuice
09-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweet. Turbo jeep.

Mr.Mopar
09-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Lots of good info on the 4.0

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html