PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice.

Deadpool
08-18-2014, 10:20 PM
I have a 2014 Dart GT 2.4L, I know you have a custom turbo mopar section here. Would this be like turbo'ing the 3.0? Turbo, manifold, RRFPR etc.? I would definitely like some insight here, I would keep the boost insanely low such as 5 to 7 psi. What size turbo should I use? the car runs super rich stock so im curious about a tune? there is a company that makes a tuner box for the dart currently that adjusts to mods. or would it be safe to assume that this would be fine like older Chrysler applications for a low boost kit? Thanks in advance.

here is the item
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=141_197_198&products_id=1982

cordes
08-18-2014, 10:32 PM
I would imagine that if you can get full control over the fuel and spark for the stock electronics you could proceed with any turbo project that the motor will handle. Otherwise you'll be looking at megasquirt at the least.

Deadpool
08-18-2014, 10:41 PM
whats mega squirt?

shackwrrr
08-18-2014, 10:46 PM
The problem with doing anything custom to the 2.4 is the multiair. Without electronic control of the Multiair your engine would not run. The other issue you run into trying to add boost to a newer engine is the intelligence of the system. In the old days as long as the map sensor never saw boost you were fine, now we have advanced engine control that can determine the power output of the engine by some math and a combination of the sensors on the engine. I would think that even if you prevented the map sensor from seeing any boost, the computer would soon realize that something is fishy and shut you down.

Deadpool
08-18-2014, 11:04 PM
-cracks knuckles- welp, back to the pentastar swap booklet.

cordes
08-18-2014, 11:50 PM
whats mega squirt?

It's aftermarket EFI. Ian brings up a great point about the multiair. I'm not sure how you would handle that. I would think that you might be able to to use the stock stuff for that and the megasquirt for fuel and spark. If you can't do that and you can't make the valves go full hard all the time you may be stuck.

Deadpool
08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
It's aftermarket EFI. Ian brings up a great point about the multiair. I'm not sure how you would handle that. I would think that you might be able to to use the stock stuff for that and the megasquirt for fuel and spark. If you can't do that and you can't make the valves go full hard all the time you may be stuck.
so i may just have to do the 3.6L swap after all. i lose manual trans but i gain 14 second 1/4 mile,lol.

contraption22
08-23-2014, 03:23 PM
How in love with the Dart are you that you're willing to do an engine swap on a new car just to go 14's?

Also it's been told that the 3.6 will not easily fit in the Dart. Certainly would have been a fun car if it did.

And you'd still likely have the same issues with electronics since chassis and engine systems are so tightly integrated nowadays.

If you want to go 14's, keep your Dart and buy an old stock SRT-4 for the cost of a few Dart payments.

Deadpool
12-27-2015, 05:58 PM
How in love with the Dart are you that you're willing to do an engine swap on a new car just to go 14's?

Also it's been told that the 3.6 will not easily fit in the Dart. Certainly would have been a fun car if it did.

And you'd still likely have the same issues with electronics since chassis and engine systems are so tightly integrated nowadays.

If you want to go 14's, keep your Dart and buy an old stock SRT-4 for the cost of a few Dart payments.

OK, well i dumped the dart as fast as i could get rid of that thing and im looking at a 87 CXS #376 i hope this works out because the dart was a TERD.

also while i was researching the 3.6L in a dart, it would fit. the chassis in the dart is the same as the chassis in the 2015 200. the difference was the length of the car. the 200 is only a coule inches longer(frame wise to the dart)) the engine mounts where all located int he same places on both cars. the reason the 3.6 was not offered in the dart was because of crash testing. the engine was too large for front end collisions. hence why the 200 added some length to the chassis to fit the engine. but the front end was still the same lay out as the darts.

Force Fed Mopar
12-27-2015, 08:32 PM
I think the way to get a 2.4 turbo in the new Dart would be to buy a 1.4 turbo car, and then swap in the 2.4 engine and get a tuner. That way you already have all the turbo controls and electronics in place, so all that needs done is adjusting the tune and boost control. Essentially just stroking the engine.

Not sure what tuners are available for them yet, though....

tryingbe
12-27-2015, 10:16 PM
OK, well i dumped the dart as fast as i could get rid of that thing and im looking at a 87 CXS #376 i hope this works out because the dart was a TERD.

I hope you have a reliable daily driver.