PDA

View Full Version : Question about re-indexing the shutter wheel in the distributor

jonnymopar
08-05-2014, 02:39 PM
I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but now that this swap seems to be really gaining popularity, I'm curious to see if anybody has an answer to this. I've been running a modified distributor for the past 6 years with no problems. I have it set up just as it appears in Dave's magic spreadsheet that's been floating around for nearly a decade. Pop the metal shutter wheel off the plastic, move it over one 'nub', and fasten it back down. Great, now it works fine rotating in the opposite direction on a 16V, but the shutter with the hole isn't at the same angle relative to the rotor as it was before.

Is there any benefit to actually taking the time to index it so the shutter with the hole is the same angle from the rotor position as it is stock? Has anyone done that instead?

turbovanmanČ
08-06-2014, 06:06 PM
It works close enough. Mine spins backwards. I had pics somewhere and a writeup of what I did.

turbo84voyager
08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
while we are on this topic, what wires need to be swapped from the hep?

Thanks!

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I removed the internal tabs and swapped connectors.

jonnymopar
08-07-2014, 02:28 PM
You need to switch the signal wires. Each HEP plug has 8 volts, signal, and ground. You can tell just by looking at the three wires going into each of the connectors. Two of the 3 color codes will be the same for both. The ones that don't match are the ones you swap. I carefully switched mine in the ECU bulkhead. Simon's suggestion would also work.

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2014, 06:10 PM
You need to switch the signal wires. Each HEP plug has 8 volts, signal, and ground. You can tell just by looking at the three wires going into each of the connectors. Two of the 3 color codes will be the same for both. The ones that don't match are the ones you swap. I carefully switched mine in the ECU bulkhead. Simon's suggestion would also work.

That was too much work, lol. 5 secs with some needle nose pliers fixed mine rewire. :p

jonnymopar
08-07-2014, 07:16 PM
That was too much work, lol. 5 secs with some needle nose pliers fixed mine rewire. :p

Eh, I had the bulkhead apart anyway to add the pin for the charge air temp sensor. It wasn't a big deal.