PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stem Seals Lifted. How to reseat?

jefo
08-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Hey guys,

I recently started seeing blue smoke coming out of my tailpipe. All of the spark plugs had oil on them. 130psi compression on all 4. I checked the valve stem seals by taking a look under the valve cover, and a bunch of them look to be above thier seat? This head was rebuilt about a 1000 miles ago. The valve stem seals are mopar and its on a 2.5 caravan at 20psi of boost.

What causes this? And what is the easiest way to reseat the seals?

Thanks,
-Jeff

cordes
08-01-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure what caused it, but you'll have to remove the retainers and locks to get at them. You'll need to pressurize the cylinder or put some rope in there to stop the valves from dropping.

OmniLuvr
08-02-2014, 08:59 PM
ive had two things cause this and neither was good, broken valve guides, and lifted valve guides. hope it isnt either of those...

jefo
08-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Sorry Guys false alarm. When I took the springs off today what I though was a lifted seal looking through the springs was not. They all checked out. The search for the cause of the smoke continues.

Mods feel free to delete this thread.

turbovanmanČ
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Oil covering the whole plug means oil is coming in thru the intake-full of oil due to blowby or the piston oil rings aren't seated. Remove the plugs and use one of those tiny flexible flashlights, move the piston down from TDC and look in the bore. IF the whole piston is covered, its valve guide or blowby filling the intake, if the piston is clean at 12 and 6 oclock, rings didn't seat.

lbaonocsetr
09-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Im in the same situation. Tore off the valve cover n didnt really see anything. So im goin to try lookin in the spark plug hole. If it is a valve guide or blowby how do we fix that? #4 plug is dirty black so im goin to start on that cylinder. Hopfully i find somthing. Any suggestions would be good. Sorry to jump in. Jefo did u fix it yet?

cordes
09-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Valve guides or serious blow by generally will require a trip to the machine shop.