PDA

View Full Version : 2.2/2.5 big plenum custom intake GROUP BUY

Pages : [1] 2

acannell
07-14-2014, 07:16 PM
The prototype has been successfully installed and has functioned perfectly, so its time to start taking names for who wants one!

The specs of this intake are:

Plenum: 231 cu. in. (3.79L) **not including throttle body elbow, runners, or head flanges.**

Runners: 1.75" ID, approx. 6" long along centerline from inside plenum to gasket surface. (Includes lengths of head flange transition, runner, and plenum plate volume. Runner opening inside plenum is oval shaped because it intersects the plenum at at angle, giving it a much larger opening than the runner ID, equivalent to a circular opening of 1.97". Runner openings inside plenum are bellmouthed.

Throttle: 2.5"/2.375" OD/ID 90 deg. elbow, flange designed to mount up to 58mm Chrysler throttle body and has 58mm bore. The throttle body flange is located very close to the stock location and angle, but shifted downwards about 1.75".

Head flanges: Funnels smoothly and continuously (no undercuts) from runner ID of 1.75" to port shape. Port shape is approx 1/16" larger than than stock size of port on swirl and G heads to allow for port matching.

Fuel injection: Uses stock rail and will likely work with any other rail that fits in the stock location. Injector angle and location is identical to stock.

Construction: 6061-T6 aluminum, hand TIG welded. CNC machined components. Cosmetically the intake is unpainted, and either raw machined or straight from the aluminum supplier. Standard methods can be used to polish and/or paint it as you like.

Fitment: Designed to be used with a stock exhaust manifold and all turbos that were available as standard equipment from Chrysler. May also fit with other turbos or headers. If you have fitment questions, please post pictures in this thread of your engine bay and/or measurements and discuss it in this thread so others can see.

Weight: About 7.5 lbs.

Notes:

A spacer to move the wastegate actuator towards the drivers side by approximately 0.675" is likely required, as well as extending the wastegate actuator rod as needed. The spacer can be a simple block of aluminum with two holes in it, made with a hand drill.

Although the pictures show it installed along with a Saginaw power steering pump, the production version has a longer plenum in order to allow for better bellmouthing, and will not fit with a Saginaw pump. The production version will require a ZF pump or no pump.

Clearance to the firewall brake line shield at the closest point is approximately 0.7", in a G-body.

A protruding screw on the firewall needs to be cut off, this can easily be done with a small saw or dremel.

L-body fitment is underway! The runners will be slightly shorter but otherwise there will be no changes. If you want yours to fit an L-body, please indicate so when you commit to the group buy!

A heat shield is recommended to block rising heat from the turbo between the runners. This can be a simple sheet of metal cut in a rectangle and secured to the intake using typical methods.

A 1/4" NPT port is included on the plenum end plate, throttle body side, which should line up perfectly with the brake booster vacuum hose. Any other required ports or bungs will need to be added by you. This allows you to add them right where you want. The pictures below show an example installation with several holes added, but these are not included in the production version. Also shown in the pictures is a bracket on the steering pump used to mount the ground strap, but this has been deleted from the production version. A simple tapped hole can be added to mount the ground strap.

For the history of the development of this product please see this thread:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633538-2-2-2-5-big-plenum.html

The price is $330 + $40 shipping

If you can arrange pickup in Hemet, CA, then there is no shipping charge!

This price is only for this group buy! The price will go up in the future!

Consider the total cost in time and money for a typical custom intake, such as:

-Cost for custom plenum, $325+

-Cost for lower part of 2 piece, $100+

-Cost and/or time to port 2 piece lower, hours or $75+

Which comes to around $500.

If you compare specifications to other options, I think you'll find that this intake has a bigger plenum, bigger runners and runner openings, and requires no porting or additional work to attain those specifications.

Also, for those who want a truly MASSIVE plenum volume either now or in the future, this intake can be modified to extend the plenum up towards the hood, nearly doubling plenum volume. This is possible because this intake resides much lower than the stock intake, so there is plenty of room above it for additional plenum volume.

I'm looking for 20 orders to get the ball rolling!

All I need is a commitment to buy an intake at the $330 + $40 shipping price. No deposits will be taken now. Please do not commit unless you actually plan on actually paying for an intake in the next 30 days. Once I receive 20 commitments, I'll ask for non refundable deposits of $165, and your intake will ship within 6 weeks of receiving your deposit.

Remember to specify if your intake needs to fit an L-body or not! :thumb:

Lets fill 'em up!!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/9a9fdaef-5e31-4592-b00d-eb238a0e25ec_zps0a17db8d.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/9a9fdaef-5e31-4592-b00d-eb238a0e25ec_zps0a17db8d.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140705_192712_zpshtqxtyab.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140705_192712_zpshtqxtyab.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140712_100948_zpsb000086c.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140712_100948_zpsb000086c.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140712_101024_zps705e4174.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140727_162616_zpsdy89tyzg.jpg
(http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140712_101024_zps705e4174.jpg.html)

Vigo
07-15-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm in for an L-body compatible version.

acannell
07-15-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm in for an L-body compatible version.

THANK YOU VIGO!! :D

1. Vicus (TD, unknown)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
3. signsoflife22 (TD, special)

Vigo
07-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Damn, i was hoping to be #1!

Also, what's the unknown/special stuff mean? I'm only asking for an l-body version because of a minor preference for a little more firewall clearance. I dont think the slightly shorter runners will have any downside for me.

acannell
07-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Damn, i was hoping to be #1!

Lol!! Gotta be really fast...u only missed it by 12 hours

Also, what's the unknown/special stuff mean? I'm only asking for an l-body version because of a minor preference for a little more firewall clearance. I dont think the slightly shorter runners will have any downside for me.

Unknown/special means I haven't confirmed what body style its being used on yet.

If you don't have an L-body I would recommend getting the normal version. It will have more clearance in the wastegate rod area and the extra firewall clearance shouldn't be needed if you have good motor mounts.

GLHNSLHT2
07-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I'd make them all Lbody versions just for the shorter runners :)

Dr. Johny Dodge
07-16-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd make them all Lbody versions just for the shorter runners :)

+1
that would make the intake transferable to a different body later if the buyer chooses to change cars or builds

acannell
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Huge thanks to SHADOW! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
3. signsoflife22 (TD, L-body
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)

Turbulence
07-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Add me in for an L body intake!

Martin

acannell
07-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Add me in for an L body intake!

Martin

YEEEHAW!! THANKS TURBULENCE!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
3. signsoflife22 (TD, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
5. Turbulence (TM, L-body)

Pageophile
07-22-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm in for an L-Body version please!

shackwrrr
07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Any interest in selling a diy version?
I have some ideas for an exotic plenum design, all I would need is the 4 head flange pieces and a stick of the aluminum tubing.

acannell
07-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Any interest in selling a diy version?
I have some ideas for an exotic plenum design, all I would need is the 4 head flange pieces and a stick of the aluminum tubing.

I can definitely provide the kit unwelded, and I have wanted to find a way to provide the pieces individually so people can make crazy intakes on their own. But so far the only way I have found that I can pull all this off is to sell the full kit either welded or unwelded. The way I was able to get the price so low is that I am essentially hiring myself as a slave labor welder, and if I can get an order for 20 intakes, thats plenty of work for me and it all works out.

But if I provide the kit unwelded, I cant lower the price, which I know seems odd. The reason is that there are 13 machined pieces to make the intake and the way I pay for all that machining and material is via the welding (labor).

Someday I'd like to make all the parts available by themselves, specifically so people can make crazy intakes on their own, but they would end up being more expensive to buy individually than the full kit. The flanges are the most expensive part.

So at the moment I can't offer the flanges by themselves, but you'd get them if you order the whole kit unwelded! :)

- - - Updated - - -

PAGEOPHILE YOU ARE GREAT THANK YOU!!!! :hail::)

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
6. Pageophile (TM, L-body)

shackwrrr
07-22-2014, 09:25 PM
I fully understand that, unfortunately with life in the way ill have to wait. Hopefully you still offer the intake when I have the cash. Its an awesome design by the way.

acannell
07-22-2014, 10:11 PM
I fully understand that, unfortunately with life in the way ill have to wait. Hopefully you still offer the intake when I have the cash. Its an awesome design by the way.

sounds good! :)

acannell
07-22-2014, 10:29 PM
THANK YOU TRYINGBE!! woohoo!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)

knownenemy
07-22-2014, 10:36 PM
THANK YOU VIGO!! :D

1. Vicus (TD, unknown)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
3. signsoflife22 (TD, special)

3. signsoflife22, aka: knownenemy (TD, special)

88C/S
07-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Would love to have one, but not sure it would pass visual inspection, unless...

Dr. Johny Dodge
07-24-2014, 03:56 AM

... unless you cut the top off a one piece to make a cover that goes over the round can plenium with a few tac welds to hide it and hose it all down with some black paint

- - - Updated - - -

... unless you cut the top off a one piece to make a cover that goes over the round can plenium with a few tac welds to hide it and hose it all down with some black paint

acannell
07-24-2014, 11:59 AM

I've been able to remove and install mine while its on the head, in car. Its a little bit tough because you have to get your arm back there, but its doable with a few choice allen wrenches and small wrenches. You can see the bolts from above so if you made a special ratcheting allen wrench somehow you could do it alot easier I bet. I just did it with what I had around. Point being could always change your "off road legal" car that you trailer only to racing events and never drive on the street :rolleyes: to smog legal by reinstalling your stock intake.

BTW if you are San Diego, do you ever come up to Hemet? If so you could pick it up and not pay the shipping, so instead of $330 + $40 s/h = $370, it would just be $330! Or I occasionally go down to Escondido and/or Solana Beach, and you could pick it up then, same deal!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been able to remove and install mine while its on the head, in car. Its a little bit tough because you have to get your arm back there, but its doable with a few choice allen wrenches and small wrenches. You can see the bolts from above so if you made a special ratcheting allen wrench somehow you could do it alot easier I bet. I just did it with what I had around. Point being could always change your "off road legal" car that you trailer only to racing events and never drive on the street :rolleyes: to smog legal by reinstalling your stock intake.

BTW if you are San Diego, do you ever come up to Hemet? If so you could pick it up and not pay the shipping, so instead of $330 + $40 s/h = $370, it would just be $330! Or I occasionally go down to Escondido and/or Solana Beach, and you could pick it up then, same deal!

Vigo
07-24-2014, 01:49 PM
There are little ratcheting wrenches intended to hold 1/4" hex bits which may do what you are talking about.

acannell
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM
There are little ratcheting wrenches intended to hold 1/4" hex bits which may do what you are talking about.

i did use one of those for a few of the bolts, but something a little more "swively" and with a handle bent or shortened or something is needed to get some of the bolts because the rail mount blocks the ability to ratchet, and there is no straight-in access for the bolts around the swingvalve

something like one of those ratchets, but with a ball-end allen wrench bit cut short, and the wrench cut short or with some way to activate it from odd angles

or maybe a normal wrench but with an extended handle meant to be used in the small space between the plenum and firewall..could work too

- - - Updated - - -

i did use one of those for a few of the bolts, but something a little more "swively" and with a handle bent or shortened or something is needed to get some of the bolts because the rail mount blocks the ability to ratchet, and there is no straight-in access for the bolts around the swingvalve

something like one of those ratchets, but with a ball-end allen wrench bit cut short, and the wrench cut short or with some way to activate it from odd angles

or maybe a normal wrench but with an extended handle meant to be used in the small space between the plenum and firewall..could work too

OmniLuvr
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
so would you be willing to sell the cad design for the head flanges? my friend has access to the equipment, but not sure what programs or what he would need to run your design? but im sure I could find out...

acannell
07-24-2014, 04:43 PM
so would you be willing to sell the cad design for the head flanges? my friend has access to the equipment, but not sure what programs or what he would need to run your design? but im sure I could find out...

Wow two people from San Diego in this thread? Is there an SD meetup?

You'd have to redesign the toolpath to work with your equipment and that can be a very time consuming process, almost certainly not worth it unless you want to just do it for the experience/fun.

Can you tell me more about your machinist friend? I'm looking into the possibility of paying a machine shop make all the flanges since its a bit time consuming on my mill and I'm trying to keep it so my mill does more prototyping than production.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow two people from San Diego in this thread? Is there an SD meetup?

You'd have to redesign the toolpath to work with your equipment and that can be a very time consuming process, almost certainly not worth it unless you want to just do it for the experience/fun.

Can you tell me more about your machinist friend? I'm looking into the possibility of paying a machine shop make all the flanges since its a bit time consuming on my mill and I'm trying to keep it so my mill does more prototyping than production.

acannell
07-24-2014, 04:52 PM
THANK YOU 88C/S!! YOU ROCK!! :hail:

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
3. signsoflife22 aka knownenemy (TD, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
8. 88C/S (TM, waiting for body type confirm)

Vigo
07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Well, ball-end allen bits are fairly readily available in various lengths. Assuming one bought the shorter version and had a bit of clearance to the firewall ( ;) ) you could probably get them from the back with an air ratchet and extensions.

Can't wait to hold the real part and turn my conjecture into actual experience.

acannell
07-24-2014, 11:58 PM
WHATS IN A NAME???

:clap: SPECIAL DISCOUNT FOR A SPECIAL NAME CALLER!! http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/images/smilies/082607/clap.gif

This intake needs a name, if not just so we don't have to refer to it as "the intake" or "the custom intake".

I tried to think up some names, but the only one I could come up with was "Big Mouth". :rolleyes:

SO! Whoever comes up with a name I actually end up using will get 20 buckaroos discount off of "the intake", but it has to be in this group buy.

Whether or not I use the name is totally up to me, and I may even put up a poll so people can vote on it, but that doesn't mean I have to use whatever name wins.

So lets hear em!

Name candidates:

a) "BIG MOUTH 401" (assuming 4.01L is what it ends up being..could be close)

b) ?!??!?!!

GLHS60
07-25-2014, 12:12 AM
ASASSIN Intake

Thanks
Randy

- - - Updated - - -

acannell
07-25-2014, 12:15 AM
ASASSIN Intake

Thanks
Randy

- - - Updated - - -

HAHHA!

b) "ASASSIN" (GLHS60, TM)

GLHNSLHT2
07-25-2014, 12:17 AM
MonsterTake

or MonsterTake 4.0

- - - Updated - - -

MonsterTake

or MonsterTake 4.0

acannell
07-25-2014, 11:12 AM
MonsterTake

or MonsterTake 4.0

b) "ASASSIN" (GLHS60, TM)

c) MonsterTake 4.0 (GLHNSLHT2, TM)

d) QUAD-RAM v1.0 (signsoflife22 aka knownenemy, TD)

AWESOME WOOT!!!

Rod Enis
07-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Aca-Intake, ACAIntake

Turbulence
07-27-2014, 01:45 PM
A.C. Max Flo

acannell
07-27-2014, 07:29 PM
view from the plenum...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140727_162616_zpsdy89tyzg.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140727_162616_zpsdy89tyzg.jpg.html)

Turbulence
07-27-2014, 08:14 PM
woooo very nice!!

OmniLuvr
07-27-2014, 10:39 PM
we are both friends (88c/s) & live pretty close to each other (we used to caravan to the LA meet but my shelbys been down for a couple months). ive got a reasonable amount of fab skills, and have worked in a few fab shops. my other friend works at solar turbines, but also just got done with some sort of engineering classes at sdsu and still has access to there equipment. we also both worked at the same fab shop for a reasonable amount of time and that shop owns a couple cnc machines. there is also a few machine shops by my house with reasonable prices, and i have another friend who works at a machine shop who has been very interested in my projects. i just finished making an intake manifold to mount cbr1000 carbs to my toyota starlets puny 4kc engine. i weld aluminum ok, but another one of my friends is much better, so if it needs to look pretty, il have him weld it... for now...

i was following you on the other site, and sent that cnc design you posted from thing.com or something, to my friend, he seamed interested, but it was difficult to figure out what to do with it? then there was so many pages of info, it was difficult to follow or keep track, especially after i blew the headgasket on the shelby...

acannell
07-30-2014, 07:33 PM
K03HEMI!!! YOU HAVE SPOKEN! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! ;)

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)

acannell
07-31-2014, 10:23 PM
view from the plenum :thumb:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140727_162616_zpsdy89tyzg.jpg

moparzrule
08-02-2014, 10:00 PM
I wish these could be ready within 2 weeks, I'd be all over one but I've waited so long for the TU header holding me up getting this engine in the car I just don't want to wait any longer lol.

acannell
08-02-2014, 11:26 PM
I wish these could be ready within 2 weeks, I'd be all over one but I've waited so long for the TU header holding me up getting this engine in the car I just don't want to wait any longer lol.

HMMMMM....

What about this:

You are installing this in a G-body right?

I've swapped the stock 1 piece intake with my prototype in my Daytona several times, all in car without taking the head off or exhaust, etc..just the intake (and throttle body/air pipes etc..for room).

This is possible because I replaced the stock intake bolts with button-head allen-key bolts along time ago, so I can use a long 5mm hex key to take them out from behind the intake. Its a little tricky, with a mirror and flashlight, but its totally doable.

Then, you install the new intake in a similar way, different bolts, but another long (6mm) allen wrench and some assortment of other small ratcheting tools.

So theoretically, you could install this intake at a much later date, after your engine is already together, as a true bolt-on upgrade :)

I wonder how much of it you could pay for by selling your 2 piece...who knows maybe you'd end up making money lol!

moparzrule
08-03-2014, 07:44 AM
HMMM, I do have a 1 piece intake I could slap on for now....but I am running the TU header, would that make it easier or harder to get the intake off?

acannell
08-03-2014, 11:20 AM
HMMM, I do have a 1 piece intake I could slap on for now....but I am running the TU header, would that make it easier or harder to get the intake off?

I'm not sure..I would guess easier since the turbo flange being moved towards the throttle means you would have more room to get to the more difficult bolts, but its never been tried so there is uncertainty. What body type would you be installing this in? And what kind of turbo?

moparzrule
08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
G body as you said, T04E 57 trim with .63 stage 3 turbine with a TU swingvalve. Do you have to remove the swingvalve at all?

acannell
08-03-2014, 04:34 PM
G body as you said, T04E 57 trim with .63 stage 3 turbine with a TU swingvalve. Do you have to remove the swingvalve at all?

When I swapped the intakes around I didnt have to touch the swingvalve or turbo or exhaust. Just the supporting stuff like air tubes, throttle, etc..

Its tricky and I'm hesitant to say it would work on someone elses engine, but there is a very good chance. It sounds like we have the same turbine housing. I didnt have to remove my swingvalve.

Worst case you could just install whatever intake you need to install right now, using button had cap screws, so you have the best chance of being able to remove it later, in-car. The stock bolts just require more clearance and bigger tools and make it basically impossible.

I believe these were the ones I got from mcmaster, but you should check the length and make sure you get ones long enough but not too long. And you'll need a matching, ball-end allen wrench, preferably with a snap ring on the end so it holds the head for easier installation.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91239A450

I totally hear you about wanting to get the engine together at all costs right NOW..it usually takes a focused mindset like that to get my car back together, and the compromises that you sometimes have to make to do that can feel crappy. Thats why I tried to figure out how I could swap intakes in-car so I wouldn't have downtime. I'd really like to see you have this intake because your build looks awesome..but a bunch of parts sitting in a garage is no fun no matter how great they would be assembled, so I suggest you look into using the button head cap screws on whatever intake you install, and just do what you need to do right away. Worst case you cant get the button heads out in-car but at least your car is running and you still have some bad a$$ intake on it either a ported 2 piece with a lengel plenum or something

iTurbo
08-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Put me down for #10 Asa. I'm not sure if I exactly *need* it right now but it's just so cool to see something like this happen.

acannell
08-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Put me down for #10 Asa. I'm not sure if I exactly *need* it right now but it's just so cool to see something like this happen.

:clap: :hail:iTurbo!!!:hail: THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!! :clap:

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)

moparzrule
08-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Alright, well, don't put me on the list quite yet because if I can get my hands on a lengel intake plenum in the next 2-3 weeks I'll probably go that route. So, I'm kind of a tentative, if you get 19 by then and I haven't found a lengel piece I'll probably jump on board.

Badger
08-03-2014, 05:55 PM
any data (dyno #'s etc.) on the improvements by using this?

acannell
08-03-2014, 06:08 PM

I'm the only person whos ever installed one so no data yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, well, don't put me on the list quite yet because if I can get my hands on a lengel intake plenum in the next 2-3 weeks I'll probably go that route. So, I'm kind of a tentative, if you get 19 by then and I haven't found a lengel piece I'll probably jump on board.

sounds good!

Vigo
08-04-2014, 12:30 PM

It would be different on every setup anyway.

If you look at all the fastest people in the community, they have all done the same things to their intake manifolds:
1. Increase plenum volume.
2. Shorten runners.
3. Increase runner CSA.
4. A lot of hard fab work to accomplish that!

This is a bolt on piece that does those things without requiring the fab skill or even requiring you to know WHAT to do in the first place.

If it makes you feel any better, look what Shadow is saying about it:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?75571-New-8v-Intake-on-the-horizon!&highlight=

acannell
08-04-2014, 04:07 PM
It would be different on every setup anyway.

If you look at all the fastest people in the community, they have all done the same things to their intake manifolds:
1. Increase plenum volume.
2. Shorten runners.
3. Increase runner CSA.
4. A lot of hard fab work to accomplish that!

This is a bolt on piece that does those things without requiring the fab skill or even requiring you to know WHAT to do in the first place.

If it makes you feel any better, look what Shadow is saying about it:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?75571-New-8v-Intake-on-the-horizon!&highlight=

Thanks for the support Vigo!

I believe this intake simultaneously exceeds in geometry any intake that has been made for our cars, and does it priced about half what you'd have to pay to get those intakes.

NEWS FLASH: I'm going to have to raise the price after this group buy! Not a ton, but enough to make it so I don't have to have group buys in the future and people can just buy them on demand, and I'll have a small stock of them ready to ship. So get in while you can and get an insane deal!!

moparzrule
08-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Alright, beam me up scottie. Lengel didn't have any on hand to sell, so sign me up and hopefully it won't be too hard to swap the intakes out with the TU header.

Old Man Jones
08-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I tried to restrain myself but I can't do it anymore... I'll take one too.

OmniLuvr
08-04-2014, 05:10 PM
so are you making each intake flange and plenum "flange" by hand on your mill? I haven't been keeping up with all your crazy progress and awesome parts you've been making? can u send me one flange to see if I can those more "mass" produced for you? my friend seams very interested after showing him the thread. at least I can get you some sort of quote or ballpark? hes telling me he might be able to produce 20 at a time in one sweep with one chunk of metal? but I have no idea of cost at this time?

either way, keep up the good work! I might just have to get an unwelded one from you anyways, il wait til theres 15 on the list...

moparzrule
08-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Forgot to mention, if its not much trouble I'd like one with no ports drilled. I can drill/tap in locations I want then. Thanks!

acannell
08-04-2014, 08:19 PM
WOW!!! two within 10 minutes of each other!!

:rockon:Thank YOU Moparzrule & Old Man Jones!! :rockon:

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)

- - - Updated - - -

so are you making each intake flange and plenum "flange" by hand on your mill? I haven't been keeping up with all your crazy progress and awesome parts you've been making? can u send me one flange to see if I can those more "mass" produced for you? my friend seams very interested after showing him the thread. at least I can get you some sort of quote or ballpark? hes telling me he might be able to produce 20 at a time in one sweep with one chunk of metal? but I have no idea of cost at this time?

either way, keep up the good work! I might just have to get an unwelded one from you anyways, il wait til theres 15 on the list...

Not by hand so to speak lol they are all CNC..but one at a time. I think I'm going to be doing this batch totally on my own machinery but after that I may look into quotes :D

acannell
08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Forgot to mention, if its not much trouble I'd like one with no ports drilled. I can drill/tap in locations I want then. Thanks!

The only port that comes pre-drilled/tapped is the brake line port, because there is already a hole there for fixturing. The other holes (in the plenum end plates) I'm going to weld shut or plug.

If you want any part of it left unwelded too, just let me know..i.e. the steering pump side plenum end plate..its an easy part to have someone weld on and leaving it off lets you get the inside real clean after drilling and tapping.

I think you are going to be THRILLED with this intake moparzrule lol :thumb:

moparzrule
08-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Nah it can be fully welded up, I'll blow it out and maybe even fill it up with water and shake it out but tiny aluminum shavings pass through everything no problem....been there done that lol.

I agree! But now I have to get a billet 1 piece rail since I only have a 2 piece rail atm.

Badger
08-04-2014, 09:39 PM
so everything that bolts or plugs into the stock manifold will bolt up or connect (vaccuum lines, etc.) to this as well? Also, this will not work with a TU header and 3" swingvalve........is that correct?

acannell
08-04-2014, 09:56 PM
so everything that bolts or plugs into the stock manifold will bolt up or connect (vaccuum lines, etc.) to this as well? Also, this will not work with a TU header and 3" swingvalve........is that correct?

Things that will bolt right up and fit with no problem:

-stock fuel rail with whatever regulator you have if it fits in the stock location
-stock injectors or those of equivalent size/shape (+40's)
-stock through 58mm chrysler throttle body
-stock exhaust manifold with .63 turbine housing and 2.5" swingvalve
-the wastegate actuator will need a spacer, which can be made with a block of aluminum and a hand drill. the spacer will likely be around 1" long. the arm will also need to be extended.
-ZF steering pump or no steering pump (no compatibility with saginaw pump)

On my 90 daytona, there were a bunch of things connected to the stock intake:

-charge air temp sensor
-O2 sensor bracket and ground strap
-PCV pipe
-knock sensor
-brake booster vac
-vac manifold

Of those,this intake includes only a 1/4" tapped hole for the brake booster vac connection. Any other ports/bungs will have to be added. Its this way to reduce cost, and since most people have the tools and skills for a basic operation like drilling and tapping NPT holes, it should be win win for everyone.

Fitment with a 3" TU swingvalve is unknown. Most likely it will fit fine because if it keeps the wastegate lever in the same spot, then that means there isnt material going up above that towards the intake, but its never been tested.

A TU header should also fit, if it fits the stock intake, but that also has not been tested.

GLHNSLHT2
08-04-2014, 10:08 PM
I agree! But now I have to get a billet 1 piece rail since I only have a 2 piece rail atm.

Adding a spacer between the fuel rail mounts and the bottom of the plenum plate will allow you to run your 2 piece billet rail.

moparzrule
08-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Nice! That's great to know, thanks!

DetroitTurbo
08-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Does it not work with the saginaw pump because it sits lower than the stock intakes?

acannell
08-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Does it not work with the saginaw pump because it sits lower than the stock intakes?

its the plenum length...actually the prototype is installed in my daytona with a saginaw, but I had to cut the plenum right up to the opening for the runner. I made the plenum longer for the production versions to create some space there, and so thats why it needs the ZF or none

GLHT_yeah_baby!
08-05-2014, 03:09 PM
3 weeks ago I had made up my mind to get rid of the Omni before winter......this has really reeled me back in and feel very motivated to finally start my build.
Please put me down for one purchase, L-body. Thanks!

acannell
08-05-2014, 03:13 PM
3 weeks ago I had made up my mind to get rid of the Omni before winter......this has really reeled me back in and feel very motivated to finally start my build.
Please put me down for one purchase, L-body. Thanks!

AWESOME!! THANK YOU GLHT YEAH BABY INDEED! ;)

We're only 7 away!!!!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
13. GLHT_yeah_baby! (TM)

acannell
08-05-2014, 11:22 PM
WOW!! THANK YOU MOPARMARK1!!!

We're really in the home stretch now!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
13. GLHT_yeah_baby! (TM, L-body)
14. Moparmark1 (TD, J-body)

k03hemi
08-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Can you put me down for two more ?

moparzrule
08-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Sweet, this is happening so fast that perhaps I can get this intake before I get my engine in. That would be so ideal. Only 4 more needed woot.

acannell
08-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Can you put me down for two more ?

:clap:UNBELIEVABLE!! THANK YOU K03HEMI ONCE AGAIN!!!!!:clap:

You are going to have some BAD A$$ TURBO MOPARS!!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)

LaserDad
08-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Okay, add me to the list. I've got a G-body, but think that the L-body would give me more firewall clearance. I'll go with whichever you recommend.

acannell
08-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Okay, add me to the list. I've got a G-body, but think that the L-body would give me more firewall clearance. I'll go with whichever you recommend.

:clap2: LASERDAD!! THANK YOU!!! :clap2:

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
17. LaserDad (TM, G-body)

If you have a G-body you should be fine. I have the prototype installed in my car and there is plenty of room to the firewall!

ONLY THREE MORE TO GO!!!!

moparzrule
08-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Actually I might want an L-body version as well, just for the shorter runners.....firewall clearance and better access to the turbo would just be a plus.

The Pope
08-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Put me down for 2 intakes, L body BTW

GLHNSLHT2
08-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Ahh F it. was going to wait to see what Shadow had for pics but throw me on the list for 1, unwelded, and is there anyway I can have runners that are slightly longer than the Gbody spec??? If you just cut the angle on them at the plenum plate and left the other ends raw that'd be fine. I want to have some extra wiggle room and have the means to cut the runner lengths down myself.

The Pope
08-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I also see you have enough meat in a photo for a 655, cutting any for that or port your own?

GLHNSLHT2
08-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Oh Also I would like No holes drilled in the plenum. I'll put them where I want them.

Spiritman
08-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Ready and waiting. P body

acannell
08-07-2014, 12:48 AM
THE GROUP BUY IS NOW CLOSED!!

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!!

Looks like we may have gone beyond 20 orders! I limited it to 20 because I didn't want to bite off more work than I could chew!

So those people who got on the list above and beyond 20, I hope you can give me a few extra weeks beyond the normal delivery time, to get yours done!

If anyone who is not on the list would like to get one, please let me know, and when the next batch becomes available, you will be notified first!

OR, IF ANYONE DROPS OUT, YOU CAN TAKE THEIR PLACE! So please post in this thread if you would like to be put in reserve/or for next batch.

I wont be asking for deposits until we get more fitment testing data in so the design can be finalized.

Please stay tuned to the official R&D thread for the latest fitment testing and design information:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633538-2-2-2-5-big-plenum-35.html#post3410593

Also, Shadow has a thread documenting his experience with this intake here:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?75571-New-8v-Intake-on-the-horizon!

And Knownenemy also has a thread documenting his fitment testing here:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f279/459649-1987-glhs-0896-project-log-17.html

Heres the final GROUP BUY list! For everyones entertainment I've put down the times today they jumped in!! THINGS GOT CAHRAAYZAYY!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
18. moparzrule (TM, L-body) 6:22pm
19. The Pope (TM, L-body) 6:24pm
20. The Pope (TM, L-body) 6:24pm
21. GLHNSLHT2 (TM, L-body) 6:25pm
22. byghtn (TD, L-body) 7:44pm
23. byghtn (TD, L-body) 7:44pm

;):hail:A **HUGE** THANK YOU TO moparzrule, The Pope, GLHNSLHT2, and byghtn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hail:;)

Some questions AND answers:

moparzule: are you ordering a second intake? you said MIGHT?
GLHNSLHT2: Yes you can have longer runners, and the plenum only comes with one hole where the brake booster vac sources. when time comes for deposits, I'll get everyones final preferences. :D
The Pope: I did some investigation in Solidworks regarding opening up these flanges to the 655 and it looks VERY promising! Check out this post: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633538-2-2-2-5-big-plenum-20.html#post3345593. I am not currently going to be cutting the flanges for a 655, but the porting you'd have to do for them is very minimal!

By the way, I missed all the action today because I was in another universe 3D scanning the swirl head intake port, and it went VERY WELL!!! Just thought I'd share that! Totally off topic!!!

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f329/740761-my-attempt-3d-scan-our-head-2.html#post3410881

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!! THIS IS GOING TO BE A BLAST!!! :thumb:

acannell
08-07-2014, 12:55 AM
Ready and waiting. P body

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
18. moparzrule (TM, L-body)
19. The Pope (TM, L-body)
20. The Pope (TM, L-body)
21. GLHNSLHT2 (TM, L-body)
22. byghtn (TD, L-body)
23. byghtn (TD, L-body)

BACKUP/RESERVE/FUTURE ORDER LIST

24. Spiritman (TM, P-body)

Gotcha Spiritman!

Spiritman
08-07-2014, 12:59 AM
Sounds good. That car is a long way off. So a few months is fine

moparzrule
08-07-2014, 06:08 AM
moparzule: are you ordering a second intake? you said MIGHT

Sorry for the confusion, I meant on the one that I'm ordering I'd just like to make it an L body version to get the shorter runners, unless it's inconvenient for you in any way. So no I didn't mean I'd buy 2 intakes, wish I could just can't afford it right now.

nvysion
08-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Is it really too late to order one ?

acannell
08-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Sorry for the confusion, I meant on the one that I'm ordering I'd just like to make it an L body version to get the shorter runners, unless it's inconvenient for you in any way. So no I didn't mean I'd buy 2 intakes, wish I could just can't afford it right now.

No problem! Just making sure :thumb:

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
18. The Pope (TM, L-body)
20. GLHNSLHT2 (TM, L-body)
21. byghtn (TD, L-body)
22. byghtn (TD, L-body)

23. Spiritman (TM, P-body)
24. nyvision (TM)

- - - Updated - - -

Is it really too late to order one ?

I've added you to the backup/reserve list! If anyone drops out, or if things go really well and I am way ahead of schedule, I might be able to include you, but most likely it will have to be a future batch. I am builidng all these myself so I dont want to take on more work than I can handle.

BTW the $40 shipping only covers to USA. It will be about $75 additional to France.

nvysion
08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks,
Please let me know if you can make one for me.

OmniLuvr
08-07-2014, 04:44 PM
CRAP, I didn't check for 2 days and its full! well throw me on the back up list if you can

l-body, un-welded, no holes (except for the one)... thanks...

plus I can pick mine up, and possibly 88 c/s, il have to talk to him...

GLHNSLHT2
08-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Asa, I see you have me marked down for an Lbody version which is not what I want. I want an unwelded setup with no holes drilled in the plenum and runners a little longer than Gbody ones please :)

Thanks

moparzrule
08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Couple questions. Is there an ETA for the testing to be finalized and these get rolling?

Also, not sure if I missed it, but I don't see any provision for a knock sensor. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to just weld a small 1/4'' thick plate between the 2nd and 3rd runner to make a provision for a knock sensor. I don't have the ability to weld aluminum, so if it's even possible and there's an additional cost to do this please let us know how much :)

acannell
08-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Geez this thread is still rockin lol

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
20. GLHNSLHT2 (TM, unwelded, no holes, runners longer than G-body)
21. byghtn (TD, L-body)
22. byghtn (TD, L-body)

24. nyvision (TM)
25. OmniLuvr (TM, L-body, unwelded, no holes except for one)

GLHNSLHT2: corrected! how much longer than the G-body runners?

moparzrule: At this time I'm not welding on knock sensor bungs because its not clear how the stock knock sensor and calibrations made for the stock knock sensor will work when used on this intake. If I weld on bungs thats suggesting that its bolt-on-ready for the stock knock sensor, which is not at all tested or investigated. I would suggest treating this as if you are adding an aftermarket knock sensor to a megasquirt setup, i.e., starting from scratch. Alot of other people are in this boat too, so I'm sure we'll see what they come up with as far as this is concerned.

Shadow and knownenemy have kindfully (sp?) agreed to do fitment testing. Stay tuned to their threads and the R&D thread (all links above) for the latest on fitment testing. I am not sure when they will have time to get to it, and I really appreciate their help! I believe it will be soon though, I get the feeling they are eager to check it all out. :)

GLHNSLHT2
08-08-2014, 12:38 AM
an inch longer too much to ask?

acannell
08-08-2014, 12:45 AM
an inch longer too much to ask?

Sure thing! :)

Shadow
08-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Picking up pieces tomorrow (sorry everyone, Busy week) I will start getting info up this wknd :)

thedon809
08-10-2014, 03:08 PM
In the future, how much are you going to ask for these things? I'm in no position to buy one now and the list is full anyways.

acannell
08-10-2014, 04:47 PM
In the future, how much are you going to ask for these things? I'm in no position to buy one now and the list is full anyways.

the price will be going up but I'm not sure how much, it depends heavily on how this production process goes for me (its alot of machining and welding)

shmedley
08-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I'd like to be on the waiting list for a L body one

acannell
08-12-2014, 12:23 AM
I'd like to be on the waiting list for a L body one

You are added sah!!

1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
21. byghtn (TD, L-body)
22. byghtn (TD, L-body)

24. nyvision (TM)
26. shmedley (TM, L-body)

acannell
08-14-2014, 03:11 PM
DEPOSITS NOW BEING ACCEPTED

Please read the following carefully, as it is the "state of the intake" at this point in time as far as design and fitment, and defines your order and what your money will be paying for. This information is the latest and overrides any previous information. If you change your mind and do not want to order the intake anymore for any reason, just let me know ASAP, no hard feelings! But once you make the deposit it is non-refundable.

FITMENT

a) This intake will NOT fit with a Saginaw power steering pump! You MUST have a ZF pump or NO pump. Some pictures show a prototype installed with a Saginaw pump, this is only the prototype version in my car, and no production versions will be made that way. The production plenum is longer and will not fit with a Saginaw pump.

b) G-body firewall clearance has been confirmed. (prototype installed in my 90 daytona). See here. (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633538-2-2-2-5-big-plenum-23.html#post3366458)

c) L-body firewall clearance has been partially confirmed, see post #563 to #572 here. (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633538-2-2-2-5-big-plenum-39.html#post3417417)
The actual installation of the intake into an L-body will be the final confirmation of fitment, and will occur soon, hopefully. But for now, be aware this is all that is confirmed about L-body fitment at this time. If you would like to wait until the intake is installed in an L body to confirm fitment, that is totally okay. If you can install this intake in your L-body immediately to help with fitment verification, please let me know!

d) Excessively worn motor mounts or unusual engine mounting may cause plenum to hit firewall. Ensure that your engine mounting is correct and the mounts are not excessively worn. There is only about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance from plenum to firewall.

e) It appears that several common compressor housings fit, on manifolds which locate them in the stock location. However, nearly every installation using a stock exhaust manifold, or manifold which locates the turbo flange in the stock location, will require a modification to the wastegate actuator mounting, and waste gate actuator arm length. This is because the plenum is long enough on the drivers side to intrude into the typical WGA mounting locations.

0.63 chrysler style turbine housing, stock manifold, smaller compressor cover (around T04 size): Requires about a 1" simple spacer to be made for WGA, and equal arm extension. See example here. (http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140711_101205_zpsexugdawo.jpg) *note the picture shows a 0.675" spacer, but the one needed is more like 1".

Holset: likely requires SV lever arm to be cut off and repositioned, and the WGA to be relocated somewhere else to account for that.

T04e comp. housing: Needs something like a TU Z bracket and possibly arm length extension. A TU Z bracket may work as-is.

Check for your combinations here:

Stock T2 turbo, stock manifold. (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?75571-New-8v-Intake-on-the-horizon!&p=1051692&viewfull=1#post1051692) *thanks to Shadow!

T04e compressor cover, adjustable T1 W/G actuator, stock manifold. (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?75571-New-8v-Intake-on-the-horizon!&p=1051766&viewfull=1#post1051766)*thanks to Shadow!

Holset, stock exh. mani w/ T3 bolt holes added. (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?75571-New-8v-Intake-on-the-horizon!&p=1051289&viewfull=1#post1051289) *thanks to Shadow!

Holset, custom exh. mani but with turbo flange shifted towards drivers side but likely at stock angle and vertical position. (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f279/459649-1987-glhs-0896-project-log-16.html#post3408385) *thanks to signsoflife22 aka knownenemy!

f) In my opinion, a simple heat shield is MANDATORY for this intake, to prevent extreme heat from the turbo and exhaust from reaching the fuel rail, injectors, and intake. My shield was inexpensive and I believe very effective, and constructed as described here. (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633538-2-2-2-5-big-plenum-26.html#post3377354)

g) The design of the fuel rail mounts is changing. The new rail mounts will connect to the intake with two bolts and zero welds. They will be slightly different than the versions shown in pictures on the forums. The stock rail and injectors will still mount in the stock location and angle.

h) This intake comes with only one "vacuum port" and it is located very close to where the factory brake booster vacuum hose would naturally connect to the intake. All other vacuum ports and/or bungs for any sensor or bolt must be done by you.

i) There are no longer multiple versions of this intake, i.e. L-body/G-body. There is only one version.

SPECIFICATIONS

Intake total volume: Approximately 4.45L (plenum, runners, head flange, throttle body elbow)

Throttle: Elbow is 2.375" ID, w/ flange to accept stock through 58mm chrysler throttle body with no porting required.

Runner ID: 1.75"

Fuel: Stock (or equivalent) injectors, rail, and regulators will fit.

PAYMENT, SHIPPING, DELIVERY

The price of the intake in welded or unwelded form is $330 + $40 shipping = $370. This price reflects shipping to the USA only! For shipping to Canada PM me directly to discuss options.

At this time the preferred payment method is by check or money order. I have a 100% feedback score on eBay going back to 1998 under username "arccra", and 100% positive feedback on turbododge.com. Please consider paying by check or money order, I would really appreciate it.

Once I have received 10 deposits, shipment will be within approximately 6 weeks. Upon delivery I will expect the remainder of the deposit to be paid.

To make your deposit and confirm your order, please PM me the following info. Please MAKE SURE to put all the info, even if you have recently told me it. This is the final confirmation of your order!

-Welded or unwelded.
-Exhaust manifold
-Compressor housing
-Turbine housing
-Body style
-Any special requests (I must approve of course.)
-Your shipping address

I will respond with the address to mail the payment and the total. The deposit is $185 per intake.

Oh, and one more thing. THE NAME! I DUB THEE:

:rockon: BMF44 :rockon:

Thanks to Moparmark1!! (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f345/727234-2-2-2-5-big-plenum-4.html#post3409809). You get $20 off your order!!!

acannell
08-15-2014, 03:31 PM
1. Vicus (TD, L-body)
2. Vigo (TM, L-body)
4. Shadow (TD, L-body)
7. tryingbe (TM, L-body)
9. k03hemi (TM)
10. iTurbo (TM)
11. moparzrule (TM)
12. Old Man Jones (TM)
15. k03hemi (TM)
16. k03hemi (TM)
21. byghtn (TD, L-body)
22. byghtn (TD, L-body)

24. nyvision (TM) FRANCE
26. shmedley (TM, L-body)
27. onerippinturbo2 (TD, L-body)
28. shelbyvnt2 (TM, L-body)
29. Chrysler GS -89 (TD, G-body, welded) FINLAND

acannell
08-18-2014, 11:11 PM
HUGE THANK YOU TO SHADOW AND K03HEMI!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
3. signsoflife22 aka knownenemy
4. Shadow DEPOSIT RECEIVED
5. Turbulence
6. Pageophile
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
9. k03hemi DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo
11. moparzrule
12. Old Man Jones
13. GLHT_yeah_baby!
14. Moparmark1
15. k03hemi DEPOSIT RECEIVED
16. k03hemi DEPOSIT RECEIVED
17. LaserDad
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89

acannell
08-19-2014, 12:49 PM
THANK YOU MOPARZRULE!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
5. Turbulence
6. Pageophile
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
11. moparzrule PAID IN FULL
12. Old Man Jones
13. GLHT_yeah_baby!
14. Moparmark1
17. LaserDad
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89

moparzrule
08-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Yay :)

So we have the equivalent of 6 deposits correct?

Come on people send those checks! lol

acannell
08-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Yay :)

So we have the equivalent of 6 deposits correct?

Come on people send those checks! lol

Haha okay yeah we are at 6!

Many people on the list have PM'd me saying the checks in the mail so I think we are just waiting on them getting here.

moparzrule
08-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Sweet!

shmedley
08-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Damn waiting list...

acannell
08-21-2014, 12:48 AM
SPECIAL NOTE ON PAYMENTS

Its perfectly okay to just mail me a personal check in an envelope with a stamp, right in your mailbox. No special express mailing required. Money orders are appreciated as they clear faster but personal checks are okay. Please put a note in the envelope with your username.

Thank you

moparzrule
08-21-2014, 05:59 AM
oops, forgot to put a note in there but I guess you knew it was mine because it was the full amount lol.

GLHT_yeah_baby!
08-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I wrote "turbo mopar" and my user name on the lower portion of the check. I hope that is sufficient.

acannell
08-21-2014, 11:23 AM
I wrote "turbo mopar" and my user name on the lower portion of the check. I hope that is sufficient.

yeah dont worry guys I'm not sending the checks to the flamethrower if there isnt proper papers lol..it just makes it a little easier for me thats all. I can always just go through the PM's and see whos name is who. :thumb:

minigts
08-21-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry, I don't see where you are selling Flamethrowers. Link? :)

acannell
08-22-2014, 08:04 PM
looks like the ELBOW-LA outbreak reached my house!! aaieeeee!!

too soon?

bolts galore!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140822_170046_zpsk1fd6fkn.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140822_170046_zpsk1fd6fkn.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140822_170127_zpsc3mqvqit.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140822_170127_zpsc3mqvqit.jpg.html)

moparzrule
08-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Are we to 10 deposits yet?

GLHNSLHT2
08-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Asa will probably get my check for the full amount Tuesday or wednesday.

acannell
08-23-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting several deposits in the mail over the next few days so I'm just proceeding with making the intakes.

Picked up all the blocks and plenum tubes today!! They are cut very accurately I'm really pleased with them!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140823_103837_zps976thqft.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140823_103837_zps976thqft.jpg.html)
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140823_103831_zpsyoc7rcja.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140823_103831_zpsyoc7rcja.jpg.html)

moparzrule
08-23-2014, 03:13 PM
sweet :)

Gold85GLH-T
08-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Oooooooo shiny.

acannell
08-25-2014, 02:42 PM
THANK YOU TURBULENCE!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
5. Turbulence DEPOSIT RECEIVED
6. Pageophile
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
13. GLHT_yeah_baby!
14. Moparmark1
17. LaserDad
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89

acannell
08-25-2014, 08:46 PM
THANK YOU Moparmark1, GLHT_yeah_baby!, and LaserDad!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
6. Pageophile
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
13. GLHT_yeah_baby! DEPOSIT RECEIVED
14. Moparmark1 DEPOSIT RECEIVED
17. LaserDad DEPOSIT RECEIVED
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89

I've begun production!

Machining has been going well so far :thumb:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140825_171432_zps2s3pm3hy.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140825_171432_zps2s3pm3hy.jpg.html)

acannell
08-25-2014, 11:05 PM
1. Vicus
2. Vigo
6. Pageophile
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h

acannell
08-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Thank you Pageophile!! :D

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
6. Pageophile DEPOSIT RECEIVED
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h

acannell
08-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you Jay!! (GLHNSLHT2) ;)

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
7. tryingbe
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
20. GLHNSLHT2 PAID IN FULL
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h

acannell
08-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Thank you TRYINGBE!! BTW what does trying-be mean???

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
7. tryingbe DEPOSIT RECEIVED
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h

acannell
08-27-2014, 04:07 PM
todays machining, at 8x speed! This is one of several setups, the actual machine time is 6 minutes.

https://vid.me/e/TQX

moparzrule
08-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Pretty cool.

GLHNSLHT2
08-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Are you not using coolant on the end mill because of filming the machining?

acannell
08-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Are you not using coolant on the end mill because of filming the machining?

I try to avoid using coolant whenever possible..at least a couple notches above "preference" and more like "only if absolutely justified". My sump is pretty small and coolant is expensive even when I dilute it to the max at 35:1. So using it up means more inconvenience while I go mix up more and also more expense because it uses it up really fast..With all the splashing and atomizing once the stream hits the tool, very little of that coolant makes it back into the sump, especially when there are lots of chips in the enclosure and the coolant just sits around spread out over all those chips.

So if I have some reason to believe the cut isn't literally demanding it, I wont use it. That 0.344 cobalt drill definitely needs it. Without the coolant the same drilled hole stalls. The end mills though are another story. The 1/2" carbide 2 flute is so rigid and has so much chip clearance that it never needs coolant on 6061, at least at the max cutting rates my little mill can achieve. The 1/2" 4 flute hogging HSSCO thats plunging is barely taking any material off and is not cutting sideways, its not really under much stress in this situation. It generates tiny chips because of its hogging teeth so its pretty hard for it to build up any heat in the material. The only way I can get that one to stall is if I'm slotting with it and thats right at the edge of what I'd want to do with it given its huge stickout.

If there is a cut that I've spent hours trying to optimize and finally did, its the main bore. I still haven't got it quite right, and it comes close to stalling or does stall, but its very important to make it go as fast as possible because there is so much material to remove. First a about a 1.8" dia hole is bored at a 1 degree ramp spiral using a 1" 2 flute HSS end mill. Then its finished off with a 3 axis roughing. The hard part is that first boring at the 1 deg ramp. Flood coolant is useless as the cutter just blasts it right out. I tried setting up a misting coolant but I accidentally discovered that the spindle load went DOWN when I turned it off. And I tried it with water and coolant for the mist. Air blast seems to be the only thing that actually works, and I found that spindle load doesn't seem to change if I use it or not. I've got it down to just a few minutes of cutting time, but I have to stand there and watch the spindle load because it runs RIGHT on the edge of stalling. I think the problem is that the 1" end mill is too big for my mill to plunge even at 1 degree, and it ends up doing a lot of rubbing and creating a ton of heat and friction that doesn't go into the chips and ends up increasing the spindle load. I think I'm going to have to use a smaller end mill instead, something I can ramp at 2.5 degrees easily, but is still big enough and rigid enough to max out the spindle power. I have a 4 flute 3/4" HSS rougher I just got that I'm going to try out soon. Or maybe I'll just keep on standing there and watching things with the 1", since that requires less brain power.

GLHNSLHT2
08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
hmmm, I would think tool life and cost would out weigh coolant price but then I don't have to buy it. 35:1 is extremely lean, we run ours at 8:1 but then our machines are much larger and cutting a lot more out at a time. The verticals run 3-6 of those flood nozzles you have, our Horizontals blast the stuff all over, and through the tool. You can take some massive cuts with them but it chews through 30-50 gallons of mixed coolant a day. :)

Looks good though, Was just curious as to your reasoning. Thanks.

acannell
08-27-2014, 09:29 PM
hmmm, I would think tool life and cost would out weigh coolant price but then I don't have to buy it. 35:1 is extremely lean, we run ours at 8:1 but then our machines are much larger and cutting a lot more out at a time. The verticals run 3-6 of those flood nozzles you have, our Horizontals blast the stuff all over, and through the tool. You can take some massive cuts with them but it chews through 30-50 gallons of mixed coolant a day. :)

Looks good though, Was just curious as to your reasoning. Thanks.

Wow 30-50 gallons a day? Its hard for me to gauge what the tool costs really are..this is the first time I'm really pushing the mill and all the tools at a "commercial shop" work-level, at least in quantity. Right now a few of the tools in the list for the intakes are pretty worn...I think. I've used them for about 20 masi thermostat boxes and all the intake prototyping so far. The finish seems to be good still so I keep them in rotation. I'm not sure how much mileage is left in them. I'm also not sure if coolant would help or hurt. I think I'd need to go through alot of work to really get an idea whats what. The good thing is that all my tools are pretty cheap. The biggest carbide I use is a 2 flute 1/2" and those go for about $15 on ebay. The rest are run of the mill HSS or HSSCO and all pretty small. My most expensive tool that I actually use is probably the 7/16" Niagara ball mill. I think it was about $30 new! I really scrounge around on ebay to get deals on stuff. But my mill doesnt have enough power to justify carbides over 1/2" or exotic geometry aluminum or steel cutters. I tried one of those "super" aluminum cutters with insane MRR's but my mill cant keep up the chipload enough for the physics to work (whatever that is) so they just chatter alot and dont work.

acannell
08-27-2014, 09:36 PM
First 12 flanges machined!

I have made huge optimizations to the toolpath, and I bet even more are possible. I dropped one section from 25 minutes down to 16.5 minutes!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140827_183324_zpsbj8sk6zb.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140827_183324_zpsbj8sk6zb.jpg.html)

acannell
08-30-2014, 12:41 AM
89TonaVa...you're next on the BMF backup/future list!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
8. 88C/S
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

acannell
08-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Got the rest of the material! Got a fantastic deal from an out-of-state metal supplier, speedymetals.com . With all the cuts and shipping its still around $3.30 a lb!!! Thats only a buck more than surplus and way better then what you find on ebay. And I get all my pieces cut and ready to machine. My poor little bandsaw would die a thousand deaths trying to do all this. Plus they shipped USPS priority mail :D

And I got several plenum plates in-progress today!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140830_111728_zpskwibcad9.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140830_111728_zpskwibcad9.jpg.html)

acannell
09-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Moparzrule, guess whos intake I'm welding on today??

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140901_145117_zpsdsa2uced.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140901_145117_zpsdsa2uced.jpg.html)

moparzrule
09-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Sweet :)

Kinda sounds like it may make it just in time to get it on before I get my engine in (keep getting delayed by things coming up that I need to get done around the house).

acannell
09-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Thank you 88C/S!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
8. 88C/S DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope
19. The Pope
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

acannell
09-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Thank you POPE!!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo
10. iTurbo
12. Old Man Jones
18. The Pope DEPOSIT RECEIVED
19. The Pope DEPOSIT RECEIVED
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

Vigo
09-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Mine is in the mail, was thinking you will get it today or tomorrow.

acannell
09-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Mine is in the mail, was thinking you will get it today or tomorrow.

awesome!!

acannell
09-04-2014, 08:09 PM
NEWS:

New fuel rail mount machined. Seems to fit well and functions as intended. Attaches with two 1/4-20 bolts per mount. Can use stock bolts for attaching fuel rail.

Runners received! Just need sum cuttin'

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140904_164050_zpszvbcwiwv.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140904_164050_zpszvbcwiwv.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140904_164424_zpsn0noccyk.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140904_164424_zpsn0noccyk.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140904_164935_zpshbkvngpk.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140904_164935_zpshbkvngpk.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140904_165103_zpspoe5c91h.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140904_165103_zpspoe5c91h.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140904_170203_zps4tzouivl.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140904_170203_zps4tzouivl.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140904_170454_zpspdo4jvpj.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140904_170454_zpspdo4jvpj.jpg.html)

moparzrule
09-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Gorgeous.

acannell
09-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Thank you knownenemy, old man jones, iTurbo, and Vigo!!! :D

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
3. signsoflife22 aka knownenemy DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
12. Old Man Jones DEPOSIT RECEIVED
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

acannell
09-07-2014, 05:51 PM
intake buffet!

moparzrule:your intake is a cut elbow, 2 feet of welds, and a shipping box away from being done unless I'm forgetting something

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140907_144732_zpscek1hv3y.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140907_144732_zpscek1hv3y.jpg.html)

Vigo
09-07-2014, 06:13 PM
God that's pretty.

I think this manifold is single-handedly going to motivate me to build the rest of the setup around it.

moparzrule
09-07-2014, 09:54 PM
intake buffet!

moparzrule:your intake is a cut elbow, 2 feet of welds, and a shipping box away from being done unless I'm forgetting something

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140907_144732_zpscek1hv3y.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140907_144732_zpscek1hv3y.jpg.html)

WOOT! :thumb:

acannell
09-09-2014, 03:41 PM
MOPARZRULE your intake has been shipped!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule SHIPPED
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

Shadow and k03hemi, you are NEXT!!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140908_172431_zps6c32cf5a.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140908_172431_zps6c32cf5a.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140908_172455_zps8a3325d5.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140908_172455_zps8a3325d5.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

k03hemi
09-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Wow it moving along rather Quickly. I am so exited try it out.

moparzrule
09-09-2014, 05:39 PM
I'M NUMBER ONE! lol

GLHNSLHT2
09-09-2014, 07:47 PM
MOPARZRULE your intake has been shipped!!

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule SHIPPED
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

Shadow and k03hemi, you are NEXT!!

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Who paid in full 2nd??? Please explain yourself sir. :)

moparzrule
09-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Well I know I was discussing with Asa that I was hoping to get my engine together ASAP even before he started accepting deposits. He was nice enough to oblige. But it looks like from this point on he's taking it in order of received payments.

To be honest, if I wasn't in such a hurry I would have rather had a later made intake. As he builds them, just like anything else, he'll perfect technique and even come up with new things to make each one better. I understand that, but I want my engine in my car NOW so I didn't care too much lol.

acannell
09-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Whoa Whoa Whoa. Who paid in full 2nd??? Please explain yourself sir. :)

Why am I not getting updates again to this thread arghh

Moparzrule got his first because he told me very early on that he needed it right away and I told him I would do his first and thanks for being the guinea p..uhh pioneer.

Everyone else is in order of deposit actually received, with those who made it a point on their own to tell me they are low-priority going to the bottom of the list.

The only real schedule I've ever announced is the target of 6 weeks from getting 10 deposits, and I am doing everything I can to keep that schedule.

Beyond that I have people asking me for this custom thing and that custom thing and I'm trying to balance it all (sob sob, violins).

The tentative build list from this point on is:

Shadow k03hemi k03hemi k03hemi Turbulence GLHT_yeah_baby! Moparmark1 Pageophile GLHNSLHT2 tryingbe 88C/S The Pope The Pope iTurbo LaserDad Vigo Old Man Jones
But for instance, I'm probably going to send 2 out to K03hemi and 1 to shadow ASAP because thats how many parts I have ready to go right now, then I'll start another machining cycle and build up k03hemi's last one and move on to Turbulence, etc.. Plus Shadow is an active fitment tester/verifier and its important for everyone that he gets parts right away so we can all benefit from various shenanigans

But dont hold me to it because who knows what may occur that reorganizes it for whatever reason. In the end its just a matter of a week here or there anyhoo

Boy you guys are sure eager, we better see some bad --- builds going on the second you open the box lol!! Not traditional TD stuff like leaving it on the shelf in the garage for 3 years KKKKK??

acannell
09-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Well I know I was discussing with Asa that I was hoping to get my engine together ASAP even before he started accepting deposits. He was nice enough to oblige. But it looks like from this point on he's taking it in order of received payments.

To be honest, if I wasn't in such a hurry I would have rather had a later made intake. As he builds them, just like anything else, he'll perfect technique and even come up with new things to make each one better. I understand that, but I want my engine in my car NOW so I didn't care too much lol.

Dont worry Matthew, your intake was built awesome and is perfectly straight except for that part I dropped when I tripped but it hammered out fine lol

No j/k its 100%..there isnt anything on it that would be better than the very last one. That knock sensor adapter is not part of the intake and will be a separate product so you aren''t missing out dont worry.

GLHNSLHT2
09-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Got ya, thanks I was just giving you a bit of crap about it :).

1 suggestion, On the plenum ends or the end plates. Would it be easy to machine or just grind a good size chamfer on them before assembly and welding? I ask because what this does is give the weld some place to sit in and is actually stronger due to slightly more surface area for the weld to grab. I've seen a plenum blow the end plate off just welding it around the edge. Also the weld won't be sticking up out so high on the plenum ends for better asthetics too.

This is the one that blew out the end cap on the left of the plenum.
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1609925_4554212668767_534087862797234549_n.jpg?oh= c55f2779b4bca7fc5c4799c76b30fc26&oe=54CF7F3F

And this one shows the chamfer on the end of the plenum that could be done on the end plate instead since you probably don't have enough Z travel to stand the plenum up on end. I did these in our horizontal mills. Also shows how the weld is almost flush with the outside surface too.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10609480_4554214468812_3201852958746069997_n.jpg?o h=80123ab69c650ca999fce34efd9a1774&oe=548BC08A

This one just shows the mostly flush weld a little more and I polished this one down to 600grit wet with a hand pad sander then used a Mother's powerball and polish on it.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10625080_4554219468937_4345229368193173857_n.jpg?o h=a29d68024d29db8d49c05dd05e246028&oe=54D0BAA8

The Pope
09-11-2014, 12:56 AM
I would think Jays, not welded would go out quick. Then mine dead last lol.

acannell
09-11-2014, 12:57 AM
responding in R&D thread (give me a few minutes)

acannell
09-11-2014, 01:04 AM
I would think Jays, not welded would go out quick. Then mine dead last lol.

Jay wants his partially welded now so ha

zin
09-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Not having a "dog in this fight" so to speak, I have to give props to Acannell, he's brought a completely custom, large component to our very small niche in what must be record time and at a very reasonable price! Thank you!

Now back to you're regularly scheduled programming ...

Mike

PS did that buy enough "Brownie points"? Lol

Shadow
09-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Not having a "dog in this fight" so to speak, I have to give props to Acannell, he's brought a completely custom, large component to our very small niche in what must be record time and at a very reasonable price! Thank you!

Now back to you're regularly scheduled programming ...

Mike

PS did that buy enough "Brownie points"? Lol

Agreed! He's Walkin the WALK!!!!! :nod: (and Really Rockin it too!)

acannell
09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
pic of the day

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140911_093004_zpsni15y3wl.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140911_093004_zpsni15y3wl.jpg.html)

acannell
09-11-2014, 05:41 PM
wow I never really had the valve out and looked in..you can not only see the valve from quite a wide area from the plenum, you can see right out the combustion chamber!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140911_144014_zpsv0jleglk.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140911_144014_zpsv0jleglk.jpg.html)

moparzrule
09-11-2014, 06:10 PM
That also looks to be a stock unported head correct? It would show even more if it was ported.

acannell
09-11-2014, 06:13 PM
That also looks to be a stock unported head correct? It would show even more if it was ported.

yup stock swirl

iTurbo
09-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Go ahead and send mine out last Asa. This is for a long term project of mine to say the least.

acannell
09-12-2014, 02:42 PM
k03hemi, one of your three intakes has shipped!! :nod:

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
9. k03hemi SHIPPED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule SHIPPED
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

acannell
09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Pageophile dropped out and shelbyvnt2 had full payment ready to go in a few hours so I let him take the spot. Sorry other folks on the backup list, I had to make this happen really fast. :hail:

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
6. pageophile (dropped out)
9. k03hemi SHIPPED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule SHIPPED
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
28. shelbyvnt2 (PAID IN FULL)
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

Pageophile
09-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks Asa, much appreciated

acannell
09-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Shadow, the rest of your kit shipped today!! :D

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
4. Shadow SHIPPED, DEPOSIT RECEIVED
9. k03hemi SHIPPED, DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule SHIPPED, PAID IN FULL
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

acannell
09-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Thank you SHADOW!! :D

1. Vicus
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
4. Shadow SHIPPED, PAID IN FULL
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
21. byghtn
22. byghtn

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa

acannell
09-14-2014, 10:06 PM
I havent heard from Vicus in a month and Byghtn in more than a week so I'm taking them off the list. If I made a mistake and the check was already in the mail just let me know guys.

I'm not replacing byghtn's positions, I'm leaving the group buy at 20.

To be more fair I PM'd everyone on the backup list that an opening was available and I set up a store online where there was just qty 1 available and as soon as someone bought it it became out of stock. Omniluvr got there first! ANNNNNDDD ITS GONE!!

1. Vicus (no deposit received, removed from list)
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
21. byghtn (no deposit received, removed from list)
22. byghtn (no deposit received, removed from list)

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
25. OmniLuvr (PAID IN FULL)
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa
32. 92TurboTona

acannell
09-15-2014, 09:08 PM
WOOHOO!!

2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule DELIVERED, PAID IN FULL

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa
32. 92TurboTona

nvysion
09-16-2014, 09:01 AM
How many members do you need to make a new batch ?

acannell
09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
How many members do you need to make a new batch ?

I'm not sure if I will be doing another group buy or just building a ton of them and selling them normally, but I will definitely be doing one or the other.

k03hemi
09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks again for all your hard work.

Gold85GLH-T
09-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Yes, thank you. Your planning your life around helping all of us TD guys kick some ---!! Keep up the good work!!

acannell
09-17-2014, 11:21 AM
you are welcome one and all! Your support is making it all happen!

acannell
09-18-2014, 01:35 PM
2. Vigo DEPOSIT RECEIVED
9. k03hemi DELIVERED, DEPOSIT RECEIVED
10. iTurbo PAID IN FULL
11. moparzrule DELIVERED, PAID IN FULL

23. Spiritman
24. nyvision
26. shmedley
27. onerippinturbo2
29. Chrysler GS -89
30. j4278h
31. 89TonaVa
32. 92TurboTona

k03hemi
09-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Its here it looks beautiful.

acannell
09-19-2014, 05:12 PM
tentative production schedule:

moparzrule DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
Shadow DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
k03hemi DELIVERED/DEPOSIT RCVD
GLHT_yeah_baby!
k03hemi
Moparmark1
k03hemi
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

This can be superceded at any time and I may just ship out the unwelded kits as soon as parts are machined, ahead of other people. This ordering is also based on several factors, including deposit received date, and whether or not people indicated to me on their own that they were extremely low priority (several did), and some people allowed me to break up their multiple intake order to send out an intake to someone else in between theirs.

So this is just to give people a rough idea of whats going on. If something on here doesnt look right just let me know!!

- - - Updated - - -

Its here it looks beautiful.

Glad you like it! Please post pics of it when you install it..there are no pics of the final BMF design installed on a car because its never happened yet! My prototype is close but not really the final design.

acannell
09-19-2014, 05:40 PM
by the way k03hemi, how did the packaging look? anything crushed or funny?

acannell
09-19-2014, 08:47 PM
oh GLHT_yeah_baby!........

guess whos intake is coming to dinner?!?!

and btw I think I've made huge strides in the welding..heres how I know..when I finished up the runners I thought I still had more bead to put down and I flipped it around and found it was done..and I was honestly DISAPPOINTED because it was actually fun...lets just say the first time I did it a couple months ago I did not feel that way..

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20140919_174444_zps7cjkx8ix.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20140919_174444_zps7cjkx8ix.jpg.html)

GLHT_yeah_baby!
09-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Woohoo! Looking forward to it!

acannell
09-19-2014, 11:00 PM
omniluvr, to answer your question, no I am not back purging the runners while welding, but in this case it doesnt matter because there is no burn through. very rarely do I even get a bump on the inside from excessive heat. So in other words the inside of the runners never get to a temperature where they would oxidize. Steel is a different story, since it doesn't dissipate heat as well you will get hot spots that oxidize.

BTW your PM's are maxed out I couldnt send you a message

zin
09-20-2014, 02:39 PM
BTW your PM's are maxed out I couldn't send you a message

Uh Oh... looks like someone needs to cough up the $20.00 to become a paid member and not be limited on the PMs... for me, that was worth the "price of admission"...:clap:

Mike

OmniLuvr
09-20-2014, 03:49 PM
it might be time again :-/ i hadnt been on here for a long while, bought a few "other" projects and lost intrest in the omni for a bit while waiting for parts. its about time to get ole blue on the road agin and pony up $20 so i can post some pics...

acannell
09-20-2014, 06:35 PM
GLHT_yeah_baby!, your intake shipped today!!

k03hemi DELIVERED/DEPOSIT RCVD
GLHT_yeah_baby! SHIPPED/DEPOSIT RCVD
k03hemi
Moparmark1
k03hemi
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

GLHNSLHT2
09-20-2014, 10:55 PM
did you snag some pics of the welding after you got GLHT's plenum welded on?

acannell
09-20-2014, 11:15 PM
did you snag some pics of the welding after you got GLHT's plenum welded on?

nothing close up..I just got an overall shot this time because I for some reason did not have one of a complete intake yet

the runners have greatly improved..almost 100% of the bead is very smooth and evenly placed on both ends..that little torch makes it super easy

Are you trying to figure out if you want to weld the whole thing or not? I know you're kinda picky about cosmetics :) You should be aware that the intake will come to you ROUGH. Scratches, machining marks, file marks, etc.. If I had to guess I'd say you are almost certainly going to want to do major work on it to get it to look the way you want, you might as well start with the welds just how you want. It takes me about 5 hours to fully weld the intake and I try to do a pretty good job but my focus is on function, which means welds that dont burn through, making sure all the joints are exactly how they are supposed to be, setting the throttle flange in space with multiple correct angles and distances, and hand filing or using a bur to make sure any burn throughs or mismatches are blended away. Cosmetics comes last, I figure if anyone really wants it to look super awesome that I wouldn't be able to get up to that standard anyway, and anyone else probably wont care that much.

Plus I think if you took the pieces and added the chamfers you were talking about you could REALLY nail exactly the look you want and be super thrilled about it.

GLHNSLHT2
09-21-2014, 12:30 AM
was just hoping for something a bit more close up, because to me it looks like over the last 3 intakes your welding has vastly improved to where if the end plates had chamfers I'd say weld it all up. But for now still at the same stage as far as how I want it to come to me.

acannell
09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
WOW thanks k03hemi for paying all three up front!! Your 2nd intake is up NEXT :D

k03hemi DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
GLHT_yeah_baby! SHIPPED/DEPOSIT RCVD
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
Moparmark1
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

k03hemi
09-27-2014, 12:46 AM
I was excited when I was writing the check the day the intake came.

acannell
09-27-2014, 12:58 AM
I was excited when I was writing the check the day the intake came.

When do you plan on having it in a car and up and running? Nobody has ever done that yet.

k03hemi
09-27-2014, 10:37 AM
It depends if I try to run my tu header it needs some work. Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

The last race of the season here is the 3rd of Octobers Midnight Mayhem.

moparzrule
09-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm working on it! I finally got my provision for the knock sensor on, and it's now all installed on the engine. Only issue now is possibly wastegate rod clearance, the plenum sits so low. I won't know what I can do until I get my TU hybrid Z bracket to try and install the wastegate can.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Knocksensor1.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/Knocksensor1.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Intakeinstalled1.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/Intakeinstalled1.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Intakeinstalled3.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/Intakeinstalled3.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Swingvalveclearance1.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/Swingvalveclearance1.jpg.html)

acannell
09-27-2014, 01:17 PM
GLHT_YEAH_BABY! your intake has been delivered!

I PM'd you a way to pay the remaining deposit without having to mail a check, please feel free to do so!

Also please post your thoughts on the intake and any pics of whatever you do with it!!!

THANK YOU!!!

GLHT_yeah_baby! DELIVERED/DEPOSIT RCVD
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
Moparmark1
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

GLHT_yeah_baby!
09-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Just received the intake, looks awesome. Asa, I paid remaining balance through your linked website. Let me know if there are any issues.
Unfortunately not going on car yet. The omni has been parked at my parents house for 5 years. Will be towing it back to my house next month then the build begins.

acannell
09-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Just received the intake, looks awesome. Asa, I paid remaining balance through your linked website. Let me know if there are any issues.
Unfortunately not going on car yet. The omni has been parked at my parents house for 5 years. Will be towing it back to my house next month then the build begins.

awesome!!! glad you like it and thank you again!!

K03HEMI: your second intake is packed and will ship MONDAY

MOPARMARK1..YOU..ARE..NEXTTTTTTT

acannell
09-27-2014, 02:42 PM
thank you GLHT_YEAH_BABY!!

GLHT_yeah_baby! DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
Moparmark1
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

acannell
09-29-2014, 08:08 PM
k03hemi your 2nd intake has shipped!!

k03hemi SHIPPED/PAID IN FULL
Moparmark1
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

iTurbo
09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Regarding the knock sensor....Would it be possible to relocate it to the boss on the block below the distributor like the Masi 16v? In that case you could just drill/tap the boss, and extend the knock sensor wire to there.

acannell
09-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Regarding the knock sensor....Would it be possible to relocate it to the boss on the block below the distributor like the Masi 16v? In that case you could just drill/tap the boss, and extend the knock sensor wire to there.

its not the finding a place to mount it thats hard..its proving that it still works in that new place..i dunno if anyone really has a proper method for doing that

minigts
09-30-2014, 10:14 PM

Jeremy talk to 5DIGITS about the knock sensor location. He's got a lot of good information regarding where it was placed, why and changes to what came from the manufacturer.

zin
10-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Might just need to run a cal with the knock routine from a Masi cal, that way it knows what it's hearing.

Mike

PS big plus 1 to talking to 5Digits. Do share what you learn, I'm thinking I'd like to run the sensor on the block too.

Moparmark1
10-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Quote originally posted by the Pope on Turbododge Forums
"someone local brought over there new TU header and it brought up some issues. They cut the old one / original one different than the new one. The casting at the head with my old one is cut at an angle to get the header away from the intake a bit more, the new one is cut level with the casting at the head and cut at an angle on the turbine side. Haven't measured it but your talking about 7-10 degrees at least. There could be a lot of issues with the newest run of manifolds. It was supposed to be test fit with a 2 piece before coated, the guy I saw last night. His has a big grind spot at the #1 intake runner, I suspect to clear a 2 piece. Tonight I'll try to get some photos on the heads and see what were looking at. But what I can see from last night they all need to be angle machined at the heads to get where the old castings were. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/images/smilies/extras/mad.gif They shouldn't run a standard SV anyway, all should be running the ATP type or band clamp from other turbos anyway. As the turbo is offset anyway. But make no mistake though, the cut is about 3/16" deeper on the block side of the old header."

Quote originally posted by me on Turbododge Forums
"Would you mind documenting the difference between the original TU Header and the most recent version and posting it. The machinist will have to have it to do the work anyway.

I have the most recent version of the TU Header but, I have not even started to install it yet. I've been lurking here for several reasons one being to follow this issues development. If I had the information I could have my TU header re-machined where it attaches to the head at the ports. I think the header bolt holes will be out of alignment after it is re-machined. They may have to be filled and re-drilled because they will not be perpendicular to the face of the machining of the header after it is re-machined. The bolts may not pull the header up against the cylinder head evenly. It would depend on how much different the cut is but this may be an issue to be dealt with."

Quote originally posted by acannell on Turbododge Forums
"unless there is something I'm missing, even a very small (more than a few 0.001") out-of-parallel between gasket surface and head might cause a big issue. maybe its more forgiving than I'm thinking but bolting stuff down where the bolt axis and the under bolt head surface arent perpendicular is usually not going to work.

Maybe try posting this on TM and/or emailing Chris directly would shed some light"

Does anyone else have any more information or opinions about this?

acannell
10-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Quote originally posted by the Pope on Turbododge Forums
"someone local brought over there new TU header and it brought up some issues. They cut the old one / original one different than the new one. The casting at the head with my old one is cut at an angle to get the header away from the intake a bit more, the new one is cut level with the casting at the head and cut at an angle on the turbine side. Haven't measured it but your talking about 7-10 degrees at least. There could be a lot of issues with the newest run of manifolds. It was supposed to be test fit with a 2 piece before coated, the guy I saw last night. His has a big grind spot at the #1 intake runner, I suspect to clear a 2 piece. Tonight I'll try to get some photos on the heads and see what were looking at. But what I can see from last night they all need to be angle machined at the heads to get where the old castings were. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/images/smilies/extras/mad.gif They shouldn't run a standard SV anyway, all should be running the ATP type or band clamp from other turbos anyway. As the turbo is offset anyway. But make no mistake though, the cut is about 3/16" deeper on the block side of the old header."

Quote originally posted by me on Turbododge Forums
"Would you mind documenting the difference between the original TU Header and the most recent version and posting it. The machinist will have to have it to do the work anyway.

I have the most recent version of the TU Header but, I have not even started to install it yet. I've been lurking here for several reasons one being to follow this issues development. If I had the information I could have my TU header re-machined where it attaches to the head at the ports. I think the header bolt holes will be out of alignment after it is re-machined. They may have to be filled and re-drilled because they will not be perpendicular to the face of the machining of the header after it is re-machined. The bolts may not pull the header up against the cylinder head evenly. It would depend on how much different the cut is but this may be an issue to be dealt with."

Quote originally posted by acannell on Turbododge Forums
"unless there is something I'm missing, even a very small (more than a few 0.001") out-of-parallel between gasket surface and head might cause a big issue. maybe its more forgiving than I'm thinking but bolting stuff down where the bolt axis and the under bolt head surface arent perpendicular is usually not going to work.

Maybe try posting this on TM and/or emailing Chris directly would shed some light"

Does anyone else have any more information or opinions about this?

thanks Moparmark1 for the organization and effort to give this attention. But this isnt explicitly related to the BMF intake, esp. because the clearance issues appear to be most serious with the stock intake if I'm reading things correctly. Perhaps it would be more appropriate in the TU vendor subforum?

Moparmark1
10-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Yes, I have to agree this is not the best place for the post about the TU Header. I'll go find it and copy and paste it there, however there is a issue with the clearance for the waste gate linkage of the hybrid turbo with the BMF intake. I'm going to follow that build 87wagon is doing and see if the z-bracket resolves the clearance issue for him. Maybe it will work without re-machining the TU Header. :eyebrows:

acannell
10-04-2014, 06:01 PM
kind of silly to post more pictures of the latest intake I'm assembling since they all look alike lol!

but moparmark1, this is your intake being welded up today! I should be able to ship it in the next few days.

I believe I can say that my welding is definitely improving. I dont even pay attention to "whether my pinky has support" anymore..I just free hand the whole thing, torch and filler rod, from whatever direction needed, upside down, at some weird angle, whatever. Seems I can control the puddle even if I cant see most of it as when doing the runner with the weld bead on the opposite side where most of it is invisible.

This series 8 aka 24 torch definitely made the big difference. For the price I cant imagine why anyone doing TIG work on manifolds wouldn't have one. I've been using the gas lens which is already tiny, but last week I switched to the standard no lens cup and collet, and its another 1/2" shorter!! And it worked just fine too, although it was alot harder to start an arc, but I think thats because I was also trying out the pure tungsten electrodes.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20141004_145437_zpsyqfzaiwx.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20141004_145437_zpsyqfzaiwx.jpg.html)

acannell
10-04-2014, 06:43 PM
okay I take that back..I dont actually free hand the torch (well..sometimes but very rarely), I guess whats different now is that I seem to always, easily, and second-naturedly, have whatever support I need without struggling to find a stable setup..it all just goes like NBD (no big deal)..

acannell
10-04-2014, 07:00 PM
okay I take that back again..turns out I do free hand both the torch and filler rod simultaneously quite a bit..I guess the take away is that I am much more comfortable and dont really notice the mechanics of what I have to do to lay down good beads....doesnt really matter cause nobody is reading this anyway and I'm just talking to myself..

GLHNSLHT2
10-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm reading it. Let's see some pics of the latest bead work instead of just the parts put together :)

acannell
10-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm reading it. Let's see some pics of the latest bead work instead of just the parts put together :)

okay but keep in mind that just because I'm getting better does not mean I am able to guarantee a cosmetically appealing bead consistently..thats "the next level" I think..

right now they turn out pretty good the majority of the time but I change positions and angles so much they dont always blend into each other

the weld at the bottom of the pic, from 7 oclock to 3 oclock was done totally free hand (torch and filler)

if your main concern is the weld flatness at the end plates thats quite a different beast than the runners..different torch and different material thicknesses

and of course the pic is right after welding without any brushing so thats why there are soot marks and such..

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20141004_161953_zpsmpix7dk8.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20141004_161953_zpsmpix7dk8.jpg.html)

GLHNSLHT2
10-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Those welds look really good. Do me a favor when you get to mine. Don't brush them. Leave them sooty.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. keep the weld pics coming :)

acannell
10-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Those welds look really good. Do me a favor when you get to mine. Don't brush them. Leave them sooty.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. keep the weld pics coming :)

thanks

I have to brush them to check the welds, but I'll try to be gentle

zin
10-05-2014, 12:22 AM
More folks watching than you'd guess, me thinks!

I imagine that if you add up how many inches of weld you have under your belt at this point, you'd be surprised! I'm sure it accounts for a big part of the improvement.

Practice and pride in your work, goes a long way towards developing genuine talent!

Mike

acannell
10-06-2014, 02:51 PM
MOPARMARK1, YOUR INTAKE HAS SHIPPED! :D :D :D

Moparmark1 SHIPPED/50% PAID
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

minigts
10-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Agree with Mike. The welds look much better from the prototype to now, however they all look good, just better with practice.

acannell
10-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Agree with Mike. The welds look much better from the prototype to now, however they all look good, just better with practice.

thanks guys

I cant stress how much of a HUGE difference getting the smaller torch made. The prototype was made with my huge 300 amp water cooled torch. You just cant control the arc and every time you try and make a bead you are crossing your fingers that it will turn out okay..probably wouldnt make much difference if you closed your eyes at the same time. The torch is just too huge and too heavy to get in close with fine control.

With the little torch, its like using a toothpick whereas the big torch was like using a hot dog. (???)

Practice is definitely making the whole experience for me alot easier on the brain as far as not worrying anymore that I can reliably make a bead without messing around for 10 minutes trying to find an angle, now its a sure thing that doesn't take any planning or special consideration, and instead I just worry about burning my skin off if my sleeves roll up while I'm doing the 200 amp welds.

OmniLuvr
10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
my friend just picked up some cool looking "pyrex" shield cups, pretty sweet, you can see right through them to the tungsten, not sure if that would help? but you are laying down some nicer beads for sure...

acannell
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
my friend just picked up some cool looking "pyrex" shield cups, pretty sweet, you can see right through them to the tungsten, not sure if that would help? but you are laying down some nicer beads for sure...

Ive seen those too...I predict I will at some point need them, probably not for this intake, but for some other project. CK worldwide makes some very low cost ones that include a kit with super high performance gas lens too..something like $25..cant wait to have an excuse to buy one muhahhaha

http://www.ckworldwide.com/gas_saver.htm

OmniLuvr
10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
ya, those are them! pretty trick to be able to see the arc, not going to lie... and reasonable price! also nice to save the gas when welding a lot...

acannell
10-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Thank you Moparmark1!!

Moparmark1 SHIPPED/PAID IN FULL
k03hemi PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

k03hemi
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
2nd intake arrived safe and sound.

BoostedDrummer
10-14-2014, 07:00 AM
I keep coming back to this thread telling myself "no, no save your money!", youre deployed to save as much money as possible, but its too awesome of an intake lol. The head on my Omni is already ported and polished with oversized valves, etc. and it is port matched to a shelby 2 piece. I want to convert to E85 and maybe bigger throttle body and make the big numbers, which im already at 324whp now. So, my questions would be (1) would the runners likely need to be port matched to the head as well and (2) what sort of gains would this intake yield?

acannell
10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I keep coming back to this thread telling myself "no, no save your money!", youre deployed to save as much money as possible, but its too awesome of an intake lol. The head on my Omni is already ported and polished with oversized valves, etc. and it is port matched to a shelby 2 piece. I want to convert to E85 and maybe bigger throttle body and make the big numbers, which im already at 324whp now. So, my questions would be (1) would the runners likely need to be port matched to the head as well and (2) what sort of gains would this intake yield?

The head flange opening is about 1/16" over the usual stock head port opening size. So the port matching would almost certainly be 100% on the head and not on the intake. If you already gasket-matched your head, then you may have very little overhang into the port if any. I think. I suppose that depends on if the BMF intake matches your gasket location precisely relative to the bolt locations, which it may or may not, depending on how your head was cast relative to the bolt holes.

As far as performance, I essentially built this "to spec" and I am not the most knowledgeable person to ask about that. The plenum volume and runner shortness/fatness, along with the huge throttle body elbow, are major increases from even a heavily ported 2 piece. From what I've read, this may allow higher power at lower boost levels from a combination of effects. But as far as I can tell, only one person has installed the intake on their engine and is imminently about to use it, and thats moparzrule/87wagon. Stay tuned to see what he might have to say! Or others, please chime in.

When taking into consideration cost, remember you can always sell your existing intake to pay for a new BMF intake.

Also, the price will be going up for the next batch, I'm not sure to exactly what. I'll know in the next several weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

2nd intake arrived safe and sound.

Glad to hear it!

Your third intake is fully welded. I'm going to pack and ship it today!

BoostedDrummer
10-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Thank you for the quick reply sir. As it would have it, if I were to buy the BMF, I would be hesitant to rid the 2 piece. I believe it to be both a rare and valuable piece, not only monetarily, but historically as well. Maybe not now, but I think further off in the future it'd be cool to still have in my possession a true Shelby piece lol. I would buy the BMF in full, though I would have to convince the wife however. I need to find the thread for 87wagon for more info on performance

acannell
10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Thank you for the quick reply sir. As it would have it, if I were to buy the BMF, I would be hesitant to rid the 2 piece. I believe it to be both a rare and valuable piece, not only monetarily, but historically as well. Maybe not now, but I think further off in the future it'd be cool to still have in my possession a true Shelby piece lol. I would buy the BMF in full, though I would have to convince the wife however. I need to find the thread for 87wagon for more info on performance

perhaps PM moparzrule on here and ask him if hes planning on making a build thread, I'm not sure if or where he may be putting info on how things go with his car

k03hemi! your third intake is packed and will ship today! thank you sir!!!

GLHNSLHT2..you are next!! Remind me again how you want your intake? Runners, welding, etc.. this is it!

Moparmark1 SHIPPED/PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

zin
10-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Love seeing production rolling along! Design to part has been impressive.

Mike

Vigo
10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
The excitement of watching the list get shorter almost makes me wish i hadnt put myself at the end of it, but i will not mind the improved weld aesthetics. ;)

acannell
10-14-2014, 11:11 PM
The excitement of watching the list get shorter almost makes me wish i hadnt put myself at the end of it, but i will not mind the improved weld aesthetics. ;)

Its perfectly alright and fair if you would like to be moved up to where you would be if the list was based purely on when I received deposits. That would put you right after The Pope's two intakes. I dont think my welds will be improving any more beyond what they already have. I think i've "plateaued" and further cosmetic benefits will take ALOT more welding..like months and months, if ever.

The current "production order" was announced as tentative and was organized by deposits receipt date and after that, by who said they wanted to be low priority. So just let me know and I'll update the schedule.

Vigo
10-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Not a problem sir, i dont want to rain on anyone else's parade as im sure the guys in front of me are just as excited! It actually seems to be moving faster than i expected anyway, so i cant see my expectations being anything but exceeded.

moparzrule
10-15-2014, 06:13 AM
Just a quick pic, got the engine dropped in over the weekend. Still need to do a lot, but here's what I got done so far-

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/EngineInstall4.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/EngineInstall4.jpg.html)

1984rampage
10-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Sorry, haven't completely read through the thread.

Is there an L-body version being produced yet ? Also is it too late to place an order ?

acannell
10-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Sorry, haven't completely read through the thread.

Is there an L-body version being produced yet ? Also is it too late to place an order ?

no prob

There is only one version now and its compatible with the L and G body. Theoretically its compatible with all bodies.

It is too late to place an order for this group buy, but I can add you to a reserve/future/backup list that will be first in line for the next group buy or production build. Would you like me to do that?

1984rampage
10-18-2014, 04:29 PM
no prob

There is only one version now and its compatible with the L and G body. Theoretically its compatible with all bodies.

It is too late to place an order for this group buy, but I can add you to a reserve/future/backup list that will be first in line for the next group buy or production build. Would you like me to do that?

Thanks! Please add me to the list

k03hemi
10-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you Asa my third intake was waiting for me on the front porch when I got home from work tonight, looking good.

acannell
10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Thank you Asa my third intake was waiting for me on the front porch when I got home from work tonight, looking good.

Excellent! Thank you!

GLHNSLHT2, your intake has shipped!!

Moparmark1 DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
GLHNSLHT2 SHIPPED/DEPOSIT RECEIVED
tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

GLHNSLHT2
10-20-2014, 09:43 PM
need to Update that Asa, Should read:
GLHNSLHT2 SHIPPED/PAID IN FULL

acannell
10-20-2014, 09:51 PM
need to Update that Asa, Should read:

Sorry I guess I should read my own notes :P

Anddddd TRYINGBE!! YOU ARE NEXT

tryingbe
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

88C/S
10-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Just a quick pic, got the engine dropped in over the weekend. Still need to do a lot, but here's what I got done so far-

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/EngineInstall4.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/EngineInstall4.jpg.html)

Nice, now I can see how it will look in my g-body. You running the TU header?

moparzrule
10-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Yup :)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Engineinstall1.jpg~original (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/87wagon/media/Engineinstall1.jpg.html)

iTurbo
10-21-2014, 08:17 PM
^ Nice.

That turbo oil drain...is that TU or ATP Turbo or something else? It looks like it will work well. Looks like you are good to go on the ZF p/s pump setup. I have a very similar setup I'm building for my SL so thanks for posting the pics.

moparzrule
10-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Just my own thing. Got a 1/2'' NPT threaded universal flange, then a 3/4'' 45 degree brass elbow, and just some high temp silicone hose. A 60 degree elbow would have been better but it was hard enough to find a 45 in that size. It all cost me like $22 or so.

acannell
10-21-2014, 09:09 PM
^ Nice.

That turbo oil drain...is that TU or ATP Turbo or something else? It looks like it will work well. Looks like you are good to go on the ZF p/s pump setup. I have a very similar setup I'm building for my SL so thanks for posting the pics.

just cuz it was mentioned: the BMF intake requires the ZF pump or no pump, it will not fit with the saginaw

- - - Updated - - -

Just my own thing. Got a 1/2'' NPT threaded universal flange, then a 3/4'' 45 degree brass elbow, and just some high temp silicone hose. A 60 degree elbow would have been better but it was hard enough to find a 45 in that size. It all cost me like $22 or so.

looks like you might have some customers lol..I think there are several people on the BMF list who will have the same header and turbine housing

you can get cheap NPT's on ebay if that helps..frequently its from China though so ordering early is usually a good idea

moparzrule
10-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Here's the links-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141349930890?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190601363761?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231165906187?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

acannell
10-28-2014, 12:14 PM
TRYINGBE! Your intake has shipped! :D

GLHNSLHT2 DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
tryingbe SHIPPED/50% RECEIVED
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

acannell
11-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Thank you tryingbe!!

tryingbe DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
88C/S
The Pope
The Pope
shelbyvnt2
omniluvr
Turbulence
LaserDad
iTurbo
Vigo
Old Man Jones

88C/S
11-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Looks like I'm next, will send you the balance. This manifold, the TU header, a hybrid turbo and the TU cam -- FUN! :evil:

acannell
11-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Looks like I'm next, will send you the balance. This manifold, the TU header, a hybrid turbo and the TU cam -- FUN! :evil:

indeed! and you are talking about the R5 cam right? What kind of cal, head, and valvetrain goodies are you planning on? And how soon will your car be running??

BoostedDrummer
11-02-2014, 04:12 AM
I'd like to get added to the reserve/backup list please :nod::D

acannell
11-02-2014, 10:50 AM
I'd like to get added to the reserve/backup list please :nod::D

done!

88C/S
11-03-2014, 10:05 PM
indeed! and you are talking about the R5 cam right? What kind of cal, head, and valvetrain goodies are you planning on? And how soon will your car be running??

Yeah, have the new R5 cam coming. Hope to have it running before Thanksgiving. Right now working on electrical issues.

88C/S
11-03-2014, 10:09 PM

Yeah, have the new R5 cam coming, have the boostbutton stacker cal for E85 and gas, ported swirl with big valves and MP valve springs that should handle the valve lift, don't remember the p/n, got them a few years ago. Hope to have it running before Thanksgiving. Right now working on electrical issues.

acannell
11-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah, have the new R5 cam coming, have the boostbutton stacker cal for E85 and gas, ported swirl with big valves and MP valve springs that should handle the valve lift, don't remember the p/n, got them a few years ago. Hope to have it running before Thanksgiving. Right now working on electrical issues.

88C/S!!! This is your now!

Your intake has just been finished!

It must be destiny because this is how much gas I had left when I was done welding it!! :wow1:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/acannell/20141104_152722_zpsrnb84cut.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/acannell/media/20141104_152722_zpsrnb84cut.jpg.html)

POPE! YOU ARE NEXT

tryingbe DELIVERED/PAID IN FULL
88C/S READY TO BE PICKED UP/50% RECEIVED
The Pope