PDA

View Full Version : Stratus Oil Pump - Fitment issues?

Pat
07-03-2014, 04:56 PM
I got my hands on a 2.4 out of a stratus and some SRT4 rods/pistons. I disassembled it to check/measure before I mocked it in the engine bay. Are there any clearance issues using the stratus oil pump and pan when mounting in a K based car? What set up are others using?

Thanks,
Pat

85boostbox
07-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Don't use a status pump. Use a PT cruiser pump. Same as a SRT pump. Has the fittings as well for the turbo feed lines. Plus the status pumps don't have enough flow.

Pat
07-03-2014, 05:31 PM
I'd need the corresponding pan for the pump, correct?

85boostbox
07-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Yes you will

Pat
07-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Trying to determine if I can budget for GRM....the more I have to add to this, the less likely I'll be able to do it.

The addition volume of the oil feed to the turbo is really enough to tax the flow volume of the stratus pump? I understand that the turbo pump is better, but is the stratus *really* not enough?

85boostbox
07-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes. I would junkyard it up. Pull a pan and things like that.

Tbird232ci
07-05-2014, 02:53 AM
The Stratus pump would be sufficient enough for a turbo setup. Neon guys were using that setup with the 2.4L before the PT cruiser and SRT4 parts became readily available at affordable prices. The biggest reason for the additional volume is the oil squirters that the Stratus bottom end doesn't have.

I do remember someone, Kevin (DodgeZ) maybe, had some tire to oil filter interference issues in an Omni.

If you could junkyard up a PT cruiser pump, pan and filter housing, you wouldn't have to worry about the clearance issues and probably do it cheaply, but I know the budget is most important.

Tbird232ci
07-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Don't use a status pump. Use a PT cruiser pump. Same as a SRT pump. Has the fittings as well for the turbo feed lines. Plus the status pumps don't have enough flow.

This is not the case. The Turbo 2.4 oil feed is located on the back of the block.

85boostbox
07-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Could have fooled me. Last I looked at one the feed was on the pump and the return on the PT blocks were already there. I could be mistaken though. Been a bit since I had one in front of me.

A.J.
07-08-2014, 01:32 AM
The oil feed for the turbo IS on the back of the block, not on the pump.

contraption22
07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
I'll argue that the SRT pump really pumps too much. Many people have had trouble keeping their oil pressure under control. In addition, they are taxing themselves with such high pressure which may or may not contribute to their eventual failure. Add in that the 2.4 turbo engines required extra oil volume for the squirters which you are not going to have.
I would be ok with the stratus pump, if you can figure out a way to relocate the oil filter.

Tbird232ci
07-08-2014, 02:55 PM
You could use the non-turbo PT pump. The only issue now is that the turbo part number has superseded the non-turbo pump, so you'll have to junkyard one, or find a NOS example.

Ed Peters did a tech talk video on the various years oil pans/filter housings, and how the big oil filter setup is beneficial. Decent watch if you have 22 minutes to burn and do intend on the turbo 2.4L.

85boostbox
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
You could use the non-turbo PT pump. The only issue now is that the turbo part number has superseded the non-turbo pump, so you'll have to junkyard one, or find a NOS example.

Ed Peters did a tech talk video on the various years oil pans/filter housings, and how the big oil filter setup is beneficial. Decent watch if you have 22 minutes to burn and do intend on the turbo 2.4L.
There the same pump.

contraption22
07-08-2014, 03:20 PM
There the same pump.

I think Tbird is right. The early non-turbo PT Cruiser pump physically interchanges with the turbo pump, but it is a lower-volume pump, and its rumored to have been a higher quality piece.

85boostbox
07-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I think Tbird is right. The early non-turbo PT Cruiser pump physically interchanges with the turbo pump, but it is a lower-volume pump, and its rumored to have been a higher quality piece.
From what I have read, and this is what I have read, is that the pt and srt pump are the same. I was told that the T on the oil pumps on PT stood for turbo.

contraption22
07-08-2014, 03:37 PM
The PT turbo and SRT pumps are the same.
The older 2001-2002 PT non-turbo pumps (now discontinued, superseded to the turbo pump) physically interchange, but are different internally.

ohiorob
07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
I'll argue that the SRT pump really pumps too much. Many people have had trouble keeping their oil pressure under control. In addition, they are taxing themselves with such high pressure which may or may not contribute to their eventual failure. Add in that the 2.4 turbo engines required extra oil volume for the squirters which you are not going to have.
I would be ok with the stratus pump, if you can figure out a way to relocate the oil filter.

you got it right. the Stratus oil pump will work just fine and you shouldn't have an issue with the filter. use the small good NAPA filter and the steel oil pan.

jonnymopar
07-23-2014, 01:57 PM

I fully agree. I put the turbo pump on mine and I could have easily gotten by with the n/a pump. Mine is an older 2.4 with the balance shafts removed. Between the absence of the oil squirters, the balance shaft carrier removed, and my tiny stock turbo, I really think I would have been just fine with the regular pump. I've been running 0w20 in it for a while now to try to keep things under control and so far, so good, with 40k on the engine. With regular 5w30 in my setup, cold oil pressure is about 75psi at idle! That's ten times the Chrysler spec'd minimum (7psi per 1000rpm). 3000rpm cold with 5w30 pegged my 100psi oil pressure gauge.

You've got to remember that the rotor set inside that turbo pump is the same as the 4.7L V8. With the turbo, the balance shafts, and the oil squirters, things are ok on that little 2.4L. Start taking some of that stuff away and the pressure builds up pretty easily.