PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running a 2.4 swap off of existing TIII electronics?

jonnymopar
07-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm just wondering if if the 2.4 coil pack can be run with those electronics. I don't know how the coil pack on a TIII is configured, but the 2.0/2.4 coil pack outputs are fired in pairs with a common +. I figure since the crank angle sensor wouldn't be an issue since it's on the trans. Anybody tried it?

DOHCRT
07-01-2014, 07:32 PM
I haven't swapped over yet, but the SRT coil pack will work with the TIII electronics, but 2 of the wires need to be moved around. I'm told the SRT coil pack has a higher output. Let me check for the pinout requirement.

Turbo Joe
07-01-2014, 10:35 PM
yea it will work, you just have to wire in the new plug is all. both coils are a batchfire type coil pack.

jonnymopar
07-01-2014, 10:45 PM
You know, I was looking at a TIII tonight and I'm not sure if it will work for one reason that I forgot about: the cam sensor. The newer engines use a magnet that bolts to the end of the intake cam, and a sensor that reads the magnet. The TIII uses a small sensor to pick up notches on the intake cam sprocket. I found a graph of the 2.4 signal, but I can't seem to find what the TIII signal looks like.

DOHCRT
07-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Doesn't matter because the sensor signal doesn't trigger the coil, the SBEC does. What ever signal; magnet or notch is read by the ECU and then a coil trigger signal is sent to the coil.

Turbo Joe
07-01-2014, 11:58 PM
You know, I was looking at a TIII tonight and I'm not sure if it will work for one reason that I forgot about: the cam sensor. The newer engines use a magnet that bolts to the end of the intake cam, and a sensor that reads the magnet. The TIII uses a small sensor to pick up notches on the intake cam sprocket. I found a graph of the 2.4 signal, but I can't seem to find what the TIII signal looks like.
not really sure what your getting at? are you trying to use a neon type coilpack or are you trying to run a neon motor with T3 electronics? your title is kinda misleading??

jonnymopar
07-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Take a 91 Spirit R/T, completely remove the TIII engine, and install a complete SRT-4 engine, using the same 568 trans. Will it run with the existing SBEC (re-cal'd or not), or will it require an 8V turbo cal and a distributor? That's all I'm trying to figure out. I know the distributor route works (I've got 40k miles on my setup), but I didn't know if something more clever could be done with the 16V electronics.

Turbo Joe
07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Ahh yea that info makes a difference. Like you said you would have to add an 8v dizzy and 8v sbec and so forth for it to work.

ShelGame
07-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Theoretically, you could make the SBEC read the 2.0/2.4 cam and crank sensors. The '95 Neon FCC does and it's basically an SBECII (same processor, similar IO).

jonnymopar
07-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Theoretically, you could make the SBEC read the 2.0/2.4 cam and crank sensors. The '95 Neon FCC does and it's basically an SBECII (same processor, similar IO).

I don't know my way around this stuff nearly as well as you do, but it seemed to me like you might be able to. It might get confusing with crank sensors since they changed in 2003, the sensors themselves as well as the trigger patterns. On top of it, you could use a stock TIII crank sensor even if you had a 2.4L. Shame the TIII computer would be the only one with enough coil drivers and injector drivers and knock sensor capabilities to do it. Still, it would be pretty sweet.

ShelGame
07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't know my way around this stuff nearly as well as you do, but it seemed to me like you might be able to. It might get confusing with crank sensors since they changed in 2003, the sensors themselves as well as the trigger patterns. On top of it, you could use a stock TIII crank sensor even if you had a 2.4L. Shame the TIII computer would be the only one with enough coil drivers and injector drivers and knock sensor capabilities to do it. Still, it would be pretty sweet.

Later cam/crank sesnors might be difficult since the electronics changed as well. But, ceratinly the 95-02 cam/crank sensor signals could be read by the SBEC.

Just because it could be done, doesn't mean it's easy. I honestly haven't looked close enough to know what it would take.