PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear louvre on a Daytona

rare_ram
06-26-2014, 11:02 PM
I just bought a Louvre for my Daytona and I need help finding a double sided material that I can use to glue it onto my car. Thanks in advance

HSKR
06-27-2014, 02:42 AM
3M double sided tape. Any parts store or Walmart will have it.

Dr. Johny Dodge
06-27-2014, 03:27 AM
teah ... I used exactly that for my latch plates - it worked - for a while

but at the risk of killing someone on the highway no freeking way

raccoon
06-27-2014, 04:19 AM
3M VHB (very high bond) get the stuff with the gray foam in between the tape layers. its very similar to the type of material used to hold on the emblems.

Clean the glass and the aluminum with alcohol before applying and it will never come off.

Dr. Johny Dodge
06-27-2014, 06:06 AM
bull
that's exactly what I had on my latch plates

it will stick and stick good for quite a while but it won't stay forever

the heat cycles will eventually break it lose

rare_ram
06-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Maybe I can use the 3m and then see if I want to drill into the car. Where can I find the VHB? I mean it looks like Mopar used tape.

rich tideswell
06-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Maybe I can use the 3m and then see if I want to drill into the car. Where can I find the VHB? I mean it looks like Mopar used tape.

my orginal 1988 daytona had louvers from the factory, the hindges were attatched using double side tape, the thick stuff. we added a set of metal louvers to my brothers 1993 daytona using double side tape. the hindges never came off . the only thing i ever did was unbolt them for the winter and put them in the basement to avoid snow getting packed in between the slats. i also used some chunks of foam on the verticle supports to cut down on the rattles when they bang against the glass.

Dr. Johny Dodge
06-27-2014, 08:47 AM
when new in the box , the louvers came from mopar with a 2 part epoxy that was ment for use on glass
also includer was a bottle of clear glass primer that was to be applyed with a daubber type tool

when I bought mine , new , the epoxy was dryed out in the bottles
the parts guy tryed 3 times to get it for me and everytime the replacement epoxy kits were dryed out too

thus my Bronco II rear window hinge solution I have posted / stickied on the other site

that made them a part of the car - forever

they fit so well , matching the screw hole spaceing on the louvers , and even center perfectly well enough with a cutout in the inner hatch frame that they look like they were ment to be a part of the louver kit

considering the auto makers use common suppliers , that may well be the case though cryco's bean counters may have opted for something cheeper or that did not require drilling holes at the dealer in a brand new car

HSKR
06-27-2014, 01:28 PM
If the surfaces are prepped properly the double sided tape should hold for a very long time. Don't buy the cheap no name tape though.

Reaper1
07-05-2014, 07:34 PM
If any type of glass treatment has been used on the rear window you will have problems with things like tape sticking. I have heard a few times that just alcohol doesn't cut it. You may have to go to a professional body shop or wrap place ( where they install those full body wraps for cars).They might have some better stuff for that use.

HSKR
07-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Still waiting on my hardware kit from SFX. Not the best shipping times for them. I have a tracking number from them that doesn't work so no help there.

rare_ram
07-06-2014, 07:29 AM
I've been thinking to go talk to a glass shop.

HSKR
07-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Got my hardware kit from SFX performance. Not the right one for the car. Kind of unhappy.