PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen 2.4 turbo mini

horsinaround
06-12-2014, 06:21 PM
So I need a daily driver and have been toying with the idea of turboing a 3rd gen mini. I have seen lots of threads on here and other forums but have yet to find someone that has actually done one. Basically the main question I have is,what to use for a turbo manifold. I hear they are pretty tight back there. Iam just looking to put together a fun and cheap daily driver so I really dont want to get into fabing up a custom header. Anyone have any info ?

jonnymopar
06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Might have to custom weld something to fit back there. If you want to do some test fitting, I've got an extra T2 Garrett you can borrow.

You might also look around for pictures of the setup on a Mexican 2nd gen turbo Stratus. That setup was pretty squashed back there and it worked ok. That might be a bolt-on solution if you can get one.

Rrider
06-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Nothing to contribute other than to say BOOSTED V6! If your local lawas don't make that sort of thing more a pain than its worth.

horsinaround
06-13-2014, 06:00 PM
You know I haven't looked into the turbo v6 thing at all. I will ha e to check into that as well. It is kinda hard to find a clean van that is decent looking with a 2.4. It seems all the soccer moms got the v6 lol

horsinaround
06-15-2014, 08:32 AM
I have some v6 turbo questions so I think I will make another post in the turbo v6 section.

DetroitTurbo
06-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Here you go! http://youtu.be/78InPT4iqlw

horsinaround
06-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I have seen that video. Pretty wild lol ! A mini really fits my needs best. First gens are non existent and I have only found 1 second gen and it was rotted to hell. Third gens are everywhere and cheap too. I just don't know if they are worth doing were they are so damn heavy and with the obd 2 to get around. It would definetly have to go standalone. I hate to grab a third gen and turbo it and have a stone lol. It wouldn't be cool then. 5500lbs is gonna need more than 400hp.

jonnymopar
06-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I have seen that video. Pretty wild lol ! A mini really fits my needs best. First gens are non existent and I have only found 1 second gen and it was rotted to hell. Third gens are everywhere and cheap too. I just don't know if they are worth doing were they are so damn heavy and with the obd 2 to get around. It would definetly have to go standalone. I hate to grab a third gen and turbo it and have a stone lol. It wouldn't be cool then. 5500lbs is gonna need more than 400hp.

I wonder if PT turbo or SRT-4 electronics would work. That might save you from having to go standalone with it. Hell, if the PT electronics work, even if you have to swap harnesses, you'd be able to run an automatic with it.

horsinaround
06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
It may. Iam open to several options right now. I forgot how hard it is to find a clean turbo dodge or mini van. A lot are rotted to hell now. I need to find a body that doesn't cost a fortune so I can start a budget and quick 2.4 or 3.0 swap. We will see what I find weather a car or van.