PDA

View Full Version : must axle be trimmed for 568 Quaife install?

green IROC R/T
01-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Putting the Quaife in tomorrow. Seems like I read some where you have to trim a 1/4" off one axle? Would be great if someone could let me know before the morning if I have to trim it. :)

TurboGLH
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Take a 1/4" off the passenger side axle and you should be good to go.

2.216VTurbo
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah passenger side axle if you are running unequal length axles but intermediate shaft if you are running equal length. Just slide the axle/I shaft into the trans and you will see were the seal used to ride, the difference between where the seal was and where it is now is your trim length.

Alan

green IROC R/T
01-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks guy's! I am off to get started on it right now. :)

green IROC R/T
04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Went to the strip last weekend and the right axle locked in the quaife and the left snapped off at the splines. I think the quaife is junk and the cutting of the axle splines weakened the unit- should be hearing from quaife shortly. I would hold off on cutting down axles until I hear back from them and make sure it's a warranty thing- should be any day now.

GLHSKEN
04-17-2006, 07:44 AM
YIKES... Both folks I know with the quaiffe installed love it. Hope it goes well..

green IROC R/T
04-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I had a spare trans apart in the basement so I got the car rolling again in a few days but I really wanted to use the quaife so I could use the MSD 2step on the line. Maybe in a few weeks I can try it again.

2.216VTurbo
04-17-2006, 08:22 AM
As long as you are the original purchaser of the Quaife and haven't altered the unit itself, you should be good on the warranty. I used to work for the guy who ownes Quaife North America (for a separate company of his but I would hang out at the speed/tuning shop AutoTech/QNA because there were lovely speed parts there like Quaife six speed sequential transmissions:eyebrows: ) and in all that time I only saw two Quiafe torque biasing units come back for warranty. They wouldn't let me open them for autopsy because they had to go back to Quaife England:( But two units out of thousands sold tells me they are pretty good pieces.

All of us with them in our cars will be waiting to hear what you find out from them...

The S is Silent
04-17-2006, 09:01 AM
On a separate note...do the axles need to be trimmed for the OBX diff?

powermaxx
04-17-2006, 12:36 PM
On a separate note...do the axles need to be trimmed for the OBX diff?

Mine didn't but I've heard of others that needed to be trimmed. I was really happy (but confused as to why). I had the luxury of "Dry Fitting" on my garage floor before and after it was installed.
(First test drive on new engine left me two nice black marks. I was kind of easy on it though....)

2.216VTurbo
04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
+1 for 'mine didn't' on the OBX:) I was expecting to have the axle to tight won't fit then ya gottta cut it problems but had neither:thumb:

green IROC R/T
04-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Called Quaife to see if they looked at my diff yet and they said " your the one that had the cut off axle in it right?- we'll know on Monday". I'll let you all know what they say right away.

Opticon
04-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Out of curiosity... were you using slicks?

I'm installing a Viscous and had to completely hack and reweld the passenger side axle (0.800"). I know I will never run slicks for fear of breaking it, but I want to know if anybody has broken axles WITHOUT slicks.

Frank
04-28-2006, 09:42 AM
How much did you cut for that Quaife and the axle?

green IROC R/T
04-28-2006, 07:01 PM
a 1/4" like I was told to by everyone so the rest of the axle would slide in all the way. I was leery about doing this because their is not much spline to begin with. And yes I was using slicks. I have the Driveshafy shop making me some level 5 axles right now that will fit in the stock diff and I am going to have them make up another end that will fit in the Quaife.

MiniMopar
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I assume we are talking about the real A555/A568 Quaife here, not the Neon Quaife that you would use in an A520/A523 or hybrid trans, right? You shouldn't need to trim the axle for the Neon Quaife, as far as I know.

green IROC R/T
05-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Yes, this is the quaife made for the 568. I know nothing about the neon quaife. Still have not heard back from them yet.

MiniMopar
05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
OK, yeah that Quaife is adapted from some other model Quaife, which is why it doesn't fit quite right. Well, they really shouldn't take issue with you shortening the axle to fit. They obviously have less spline area in the diff in the first place, so really it is their design that is the issue.

turbovanmanČ
05-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Yikes, hope I don't break an axle tonight. Just got my OBX installed and luckily, no axle mods were needed, :thumb:

MoparN75
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
you guys were lucky..I had tuff time with my OBX...but finally, after trying a number of things, I got the axle to fit. Filed very lightly on the side of the axle splines...that did it, guess the pitch was alittle off.

eyeball
05-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Called Quaife to see if they looked at my diff yet and they said " your the one that had the cut off axle in it right?- we'll know on Monday". I'll let you all know what they say right away.

What did you cut it down with? Did you use a bandsaw, cut-off wheel, or torch?

green IROC R/T
05-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I used a cut off wheel and only did a little cutting at a time so it would not heat up too much. I got a call from Auto-tech(Quaife) today and they said it would take $475 to fix it. He said they could not get the axle out either and said there was metal in the unit that came from somewhere other than the quaife that caused the problems- I would say it cam from the other axle that broke off in the trans. Not sure what to say but I am hoping I am good to roll shortly.

cordes
05-08-2006, 11:40 PM
That is a colossal downer. Sorry to hear about that one. $475 is pretty rough when you had already spent about a G on the darn thing in the first place. Factor in the shipping for repair, and that makes for one huge bummer in my book. Hope it all works out for you.

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2006, 03:34 AM
I would say f*ck it and buy an OBX, you already spent a ton of money. This will make it a $2000 LSD, :censored:

green IROC R/T
05-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I agree I am not real happy but what do I do? not fix and have a $1,200 piece of junk or fix and be set to go again? I do see there point- it was not their part that broke and contaminated the diff and caused it to lock up. So why should they cover it? Maybe I should just be happy it's $475 and fixable.

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
I agree I am not real happy but what do I do? not fix and have a $1,200 piece of junk or fix and be set to go again? I do see there point- it was not their part that broke and contaminated the diff and caused it to lock up. So why should they cover it? Maybe I should just be happy it's $475 and fixable.

Good point mr glass is half full, :lol:

I am suprised at the axle shearing off though, I haven't been around the TM scene long, around 3 years but haven't heard of anyone doing what you did????? :(

green IROC R/T
05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I am just happy things are coming together again for my quest of high 11's. I thought I would do it my first time out this year and not have any more goals to meet and wondered what my next conquest would be- mid 11's? More consistancy? but I won't worry about that for a while.

MiniMopar
05-10-2006, 01:29 AM
One other expensive thought: if you get an A523 with a 3.85:1 ratio, you can duplicate this setup with a Neon Quaife. You won't need to shorten the axle in this case. You can also try other ratios...3.50:1 and I think 3.77:1 are out there.

green IROC R/T
05-10-2006, 08:08 AM
One other expensive thought: if you get an A523 with a 3.85:1 ratio, you can duplicate this setup with a Neon Quaife. You won't need to shorten the axle in this case. You can also try other ratios...3.50:1 and I think 3.77:1 are out there.

Now I am getting really confused:lol: . Maybe I should give this 4 cylinder stuff up for a while and go back to V8's to clear my head:D .