PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Exhaust

Force Fed Mopar
06-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Who's running what muffler and/or resonator. I know anybody with a turbo has the exhaust muffled somewhat anyway, but in NA trim it can be pretty raspy and blatty. I want to change the exhaust on the black Daytona at some point, would like to find a way to mellow it out without restricting flow. I love how the 350Z/G35's sound, not sure if it's possible to get close to that on a 12v 3.0 or not. And of course there's nothing on YouTube except glasspacks and straight pipes...or cheap fart cans...

Ondonti
06-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Is the car true duals?

350z seems to sound the same even with the mufflers deleted.

It also looks like they tie the exhaust together and then split it apart again.

Here is a thrifty ebay dual exhaust version of an HKS product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-4XJ_Vjskg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Fit-Nissan-Z33-Fairlady-VQ35DE-Catback-Exhaust-Muffler-Y-Shaped-Dual-Tips-/390858049262?_trksid=p2054897.l5661

I think a lot of their sound is the 4 valve heads. They sound very different with a mild cam vs a 2 valve and a big head. I think its easier to embrace the domestic sounding 2 valve then force it to sound like something else. Those exhaust setups are "tuned" by trial and error and they sometimes still sound bad. Expensive endeavor. Coworker has a very very nice sounding 4g63 evo at work but the exhaust cost several thousand. I am okay without that expense plus we don't actually have that option. Might cost thousands and sound like garbage.

Sundance 6g72
06-05-2014, 10:49 PM
My car sounded really good with a 3inch catback, no cat, single straight magnaflow bought from fwdperformance. It was all 3inch. It was loud but it sounded great without the ricer rasp. Turbo just made it a little quieter.

The biggest thing you can do is the headers. When I made my log manifold (for turbo setup) to replace my rear mani, it made the car sound even better. I know actual headers can do wonders. Ed and I once talked about how you can pair the runners in a certain order to get the engine to sound more like a euro super car. He has a video comparing a fiero v6 with two header types. One sounded more muscle car and the other sounded like a Ferrari of some sort.

Ondonti
06-05-2014, 11:12 PM
His car has long tube headers and possibly true duals.

Force Fed Mopar
06-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Mine has custom nearly-equal length headers that are transferred into single exhaust. I believe it is 2.5" piping, has a square style muffler at the very rear in the stock location (forget the brand, if it's even marked), but I can tell you, it does very little muffling lol.

I kinda have the same feeling about the VQ exhaust, that it is due to head design. In fact I believe that most exhaust sound is determined from that and firing order. You are probably right in that I'd be chasing my tail trying to emulate a modern 4-v DOHC engine sound. I would like to refine it down from the raw, open pipe sound. One day if I come into making some real money, I will be fine spending a grand on a nice properly engineered exhaust, however for now I would like to find the nicest sound that can be had with off-the-shelf mufflers and/or resonators.

ATaylorRacing
06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
When my 94 Duster with 3.0 was a month old I took it to the track with a saw and Super Trapp with 18 discs to see what would work best. Cutting off the muffler made the car slow about .25....putting on a wide open S T picked it up some and sounded good, but still slower than stock. I seem to remember that 12 discs made it perform the best...only a tenth quicker than stock. After a year of Indiana driving the screws that hold all the internals in rusted out and all its guts got blown out onto the highway and crushed by a semi...leaving me with a stainless steel megaphone! A few days later on went a cheap glass pack and it sounded better yet and still ran that tiny bit quicker than stock.

Sundance 6g72
06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Firing ordered can be emulated with just pairing the runners different.. im sure thats out of the question though considering you already have the headers built and installed.

Force Fed Mopar
06-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Yeah, these headers are a bit odd in design but I'm not planning on trying to replace them any time soon lol. Basically they are equal length and y into a single 2.5" exhaust.

Shadow24
06-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I hear you on the sound though. I ran a Magnaflow can from FWDPerformance when I installed my 2.5" exhaust, but pulled it off as it was too loud and droned. It didn't help that when I was at the track on the launch limiter, my wife said it sounded like a Honduh.... I currently have an el-cheapo baffled muffler, but am looking to try adding a resonator in the middle and going with a Flowmaster muffler to get a nice tone and flow but reduce rasp and sheer volume. Mind you, this is with a SOHC 4-valve head and shorty headers too.

Force Fed Mopar
06-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I've got a Flowmaster Super 44 I think I may try.

bakes
06-12-2014, 12:57 AM
i would y the pipe into a 3 " pipe to the rear with 3" offset in 3" center out turbo muffler turn on its side 45* thats what i done with all my k base cars

Reaper1
06-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I'd step it up to 3". That alone will help the sound be a little more baritone. For quieting it down...man, that's a tough one. I know NA 3.0's are friggin loud! I honestly don't know what to suggest here. I suppose it depends on how much quieter you want to make it.