PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Looking for cable shifter setup I can use with a 525 trans in a 93 Daytona.

Chris65
05-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Title pretty much says it all. From what I have read, the 1987 shifter is the best setup because of the shifter design, so that is what I hope to find. Will either purchase outright, or trade for the shifter and cables I have from the same car. The trans in the car was a 523.

GLHS60
05-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I think you will need 1986 and older shifter and cables to run a 525 successfully.

Thanks
Randy

Chris65
05-29-2014, 09:17 PM
I think you will need 1986 and older shifter and cables to run a 525 successfully.

Thanks
Randy

Randy, you may be right. Many people here know much more about this than I do. I am basically looking for the best setup available, and thought I had read somewhere that the 87 stuff would work. This is for a stock car that just needs to be able to shift in to first, second, and reverse without any issues. Once the car is running on the track, there is no need to shift, other than for restarts.

GLHS60
05-30-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm just going by what Cliff Ramsdell mentioned a while back, that a 525 wouldn't work properly with 520-555 cables and shifter. He's not on here much any more but he is the most knowledgeable FWD trans tech around. It might be best to shoot him a P.M. and go by his advice.

Thanks
Randy

turismolover22
05-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I had a daytona and no matter what shifter I put in it, the cables would not match. With the huge crossover cable that the 525 uses, you will almost have to use the 525 shifter. That being said, they arent terrible. They just arent near as smooth as the "ball socket" 87+ style shifter. I might have one mulling around here. If I can find it, its yours. (525 86 daytona shifter)

turbo84voyager
05-30-2014, 10:58 AM
I did the reverse. I am running a 520 in my 84 voyager with the original 525 shifter and cables. It was years ago when I did it but I believe I had to bend one of the brackets and readjust the shifter cables. It shifts fine.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this you are going to have another problem. Dont forget the axles are different. You are much better off finding a different trans.

jonnymopar
05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this helps, but when I needed a crossover cable for my car (555), I got one spec'd for an 86 Daytona which would have definitely been a 525. It worked great and still does.

x.Gen
05-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I did the reverse. I am running a 520 in my 84 voyager with the original 525 shifter and cables. It was years ago when I did it but I believe I had to bend one of the brackets and readjust the shifter cables. It shifts fine.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this you are going to have another problem. Dont forget the axles are different. You are much better off finding a different trans.

+1 on both accounts. my 86 originally came with a 525. replaced it with a 555 way back when, didn't need to change the cables. worked fine then (and now). have been driving/wrenching on a daytona as long as I can remember. my best advice - do yourself a favor and find another 523, there's got to be a few in some boneyards out there if nothing less. a daytona is way too heavy for a 525, unless you don't actually intend to beat on it. plus the older cables are the ball/socket type - when they wear out, you have to replace the cables, you can't just replace the bushings like in later cables. last but not least - 525 is a small spline clutch - if you have the stock clutch for '93, it won't fit.

your best bet is a replacement trans.

Chris65
05-30-2014, 03:34 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I understand all the issues with the CV axles, but that is already sorted out. I need the gearing that the 525 has for the track this car is going to run at, so another trans is not an option. As far as the clutch, we are buying new anyway, so that is not an issue. Any of the other transmissions have gearing that will screw up the RPM range I need to run. This is a NA motor and will not be making anywhere near the HP the turbo motors do, so finding another transmission is not what I need to do. If so, I would have kept the 523.

x.Gen
05-30-2014, 03:54 PM
it is more about vehicle weight than the power. look at the case design. I snapped my first 525 with a stock tune just by being slightly too aggressive from a dead stop. that diff isn't made to launch a heavy car, spider gears will split and exit thru the case. at the very least, I'd girdle it if you're taking it to the track.

Chris65
05-30-2014, 07:38 PM
it is more about vehicle weight than the power. look at the case design. I snapped my first 525 with a stock tune just by being slightly too aggressive from a dead stop. that diff isn't made to launch a heavy car, spider gears will split and exit thru the case. at the very least, I'd girdle it if you're taking it to the track.

The car is totally gutted, including all the glass, dash, wiring, interior, and everything else, and is not a street car. Final weight with driver will be approximately 2400 pounds. The class requires 195 width D.O.T. tires maximum. There are other guys in the area using the 525 and not having problems. I understand everyone's concern about the trans, and if we do end up having problems, I will have to figure out an alternative, but I am very limited because in order to keep the gearing where I need it, I need the 3.05 ring gear. This seriously limits what trans I can use. Also, this is not a drag car, it is a circle track car, so there won't be any high RPM launches. The car will be raced in 2nd gear and basically needs to be able to accelerate from 40 to about 70mph in order to be competitive. Like I said, I appreciate everyone's concern and I have discussed this in length previously here and on the other site. We do have a duplicate spare trans already, since the yard had a couple of them, so if the first one pops, we'll put the spare in and start figuring out a better solution. I know there is a thread on building a hybrid with the 3.05 ring gear, and if it comes to that, then that is what we will do.

Chris65
05-30-2014, 07:44 PM
I had a daytona and no matter what shifter I put in it, the cables would not match. With the huge crossover cable that the 525 uses, you will almost have to use the 525 shifter. That being said, they arent terrible. They just arent near as smooth as the "ball socket" 87+ style shifter. I might have one mulling around here. If I can find it, its yours. (525 86 daytona shifter)

Sounds good. Let me know.