PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations?

iTurbo
05-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new set of tires for my Caliber SRT-4 soon.

I have about 30k miles on the original Goodyear F1 tires and I've been religious about rotating them every 5k miles, which is when I do the oil/filter change. They have worn very well and even. I'm very pleased with these tires to tell you the truth.

I've looked on various Caliber forums and I see some people bashing these tires, but I have been pleased with them considering the mileage/handling/grip. I think I will probably buy another set of Goodyear F1 tires.

Anybody else here have a recommendation? Another tire I'm considering is the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 or Yokohama S-drive. Prices below are from TireRack for a set of four tires without shipping. 225/45/19 stock tire size.

Goodyear F1: $712
BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2: $668
Yokohama S-drive: $692

minigts
05-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Get round ones for sure. I have S drives (225/35-17) and they seem to ride and wear well. Only have about 15K on them (mostly highway), but so far so good. BFG years ago were too soft and wore quickly, but things change and I have no idea how they are now. The price difference is negligible between them all, I'd probably stick with what you know works.

Keito
05-20-2014, 05:20 AM
I'm ordering a set of Toyo Proxes 4 Plus this week for my 04 SRT-4
They've come highly recommended, I found a local tire guy that can sell me the tire for $105 each, without installation.

My last set of Toyo's I bought were for my GMC Envoy, they lasted 76,000 miles before I replaced them.
I was impressed. Very smooth, quiet ride and excellent traction

contraption22
05-20-2014, 09:57 AM
I hear great things about the Sport Comp-2's. They will likely be the next tire for my SRT-4.

glhs727
05-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new set of tires for my Caliber SRT-4 soon.

I. 225/45/19 stock tire size.

Goodyear F1: $712
BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2: $668
Yokohama S-drive: $692

Yea, caliber tires are hard to find. It's a weird size. I replaced my originals with the F1's.Wasn't happy, wore pretty quick, and lots of tire noise. The last set I put on were Continental Contact DWS and I like them a lot. Cost a lot, but I searched ebay and got some good deals. Took about 3 months to track down deals on 4, but in the end got them for about $600 a set

glhs875
05-20-2014, 10:12 AM
I hear great things about the Sport Comp-2's. They will likely be the next tire for my SRT-4.

I'm sold on the General G-Max tire that is on my SRT-4! It has been the best tire in all aspects so far for this car! The traction is VERY GOOD as well as wear!

iTurbo
05-21-2014, 01:23 AM
Thanks all for the input. As Cindy said, it is most definitely an oddball tire size, which makes the price go up. I've even thought about buying new 18" wheels to help with the tire size and cost, but the Enkeis I want are pretty darn expensive (NT03+M)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENKEI-18X9-5-NT03-M-LIGHTWEIGHT-TRACK-RACING-WHEEL-27-27MM-OFFSET-5X114-3-/231068875791?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item35ccc73c0f&vxp=mtr

As much as I like those wheels, it would totally (and then some) negate the price of new tires. Enkei NT03+M wheels and new tires would cost about $2000 and that is just crazy because, well, I am just bachelor with a normal job and a few bills. Sure I could charge them on the CC but I have bigger irons in the fire that extend beyond turbo Mopar bliss.

I will look further into the tires that people here have mentioned. I REALLY like BFGoodrich tires. I have a set of BFG Traction T/As on my Regal GS and a set of BFG All-Terrain KO tires on the Ford Ranger FX4 Level II that I bought for my dad. Very much like them.

I also used to have a set of Toyo Spectrum tires on my '89 Shadow ES. For an all-season tire, I thought they were very nice.

contraption22
05-21-2014, 06:15 AM
What size is the OE wheel?

francois
05-21-2014, 12:50 PM
19'' x 7.5'' (I thought it was 8'') offset 38. 5 x 114mm. (225/45r19)

I would also downgraded to 18'' x 8 or 8.5'' and I would have run 245 wide but I have no budget for that and nothing was available on the used market at the time.

I had the Hankook K104 when I bought the CSRT4 but they were used. It was alright but since I didn't had them since day one, I have no clue how well they performed.
I did try to buy them but no one around was able to have a set so I had to find something else. Not esasy to find something suitable to my taste when I usually run something in the lower 140 as of treadwear.
With the availibility, I had the choice between the General (which I find looked too much like a snow tire, lol) or the one I have right now which is the Continental DW.
I can`t complaint and if I ever want to go deep in the curves, I use the GLHT.

Cindy, you had a very good price and I know that here across the border, tire prices su*k big time.

86Shelby
05-21-2014, 01:26 PM
I've had Yoko S-drives on my R/T with SRT4 rims for the past 5 years. They were great when new but the last year or so they have been very lacking on traction. They've stayed relatively quiet which was a big concern of mine after having the OEM BFGs from an SRT4 on it. They've worn well even though I didn't rotate them like I should have. Probably 20k on them and there's still 4-5/32 tread left on the front tires which have had more than thier fair share of rolling burnouts.

They are worthless in snow, ice, etc. Absolutely, totally, completely worthless. Had to move the R/T this winter and couldn't accelerate, nor stop or steer for crap. It was a very slow and butt puckering drive. I can't recall how many times I hit the curb as the tires just let the car slide sideways with the road crown; it's a miracle I didn't bend anything or scratch the rims. I felt as though I would have been better off with my race slicks.

I previously had some BFG Sport Comps on the car which were real nice and grippy on the factory 15" rims. Granted they were new nearly 9 years ago at this point. They were ok for limited use in the snow IIRC.

I'll be trying out some Yoko Advan AD08s this summer; got a killer deal from Tirerack a while back and bought a set. With the 180 treadwear rating, if I can get 2 years out of them and they stay grippy I'll be happy.

iTurbo
02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys; keep them coming.

I now have about 36k miles on the car and it's STILL wearing it's original Goodyear F1s. They are almost down to the wear bars and have worn very evenly thanks to rotating them every 5k miles. I really think I could make these last to 40k miles. Hell, I'd buy another set of these but they are unavailable except eBay and I wouldn't trust buying them there.

I'm obviously going to have to replace them soon. I'm looking more at a good all-season tire to put on the stock wheels. I'm going to go with a 245/40/19 instead of the stock 225/45/19. If I need a good summer tire I think I'd rather buy a set of aftermarket 18"..

Anybody have any experience with these tires:

Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S: ($632 a set) Reviews seem positive. Good tread wear rating. It would be nice to at least have decent light snow/cold traction. Supposedly a very quiet tire.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101: ($488 a set) Reviews seem positive except wet weather traction. $488 is waaaay cheap...so it's tempting even though it's a high performance summer tire. I guess I could always just drive the Regal GS in bad weather days.

HSKR
02-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Why not go to a 245/40/19? Little wider for better tread width an a LOT more options. 245 should still be good on a 7.5" rim.

cordes
02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Why not go to a 245/40/19? Little wider for better tread width an a LOT more options. 245 should still be good on a 7.5" rim.

It'll fit on a 7.5" wheel, but that's a pretty darn wide tire for it IMO.

HSKR
02-22-2015, 10:43 PM
I would think you would want a wider tire. To me a 225 isn't a very wide tire for a SRT-4.

cordes
02-22-2015, 11:09 PM
I would think you would want a wider tire. To me a 225 isn't a very wide tire for a SRT-4.

A wider tire is always nicer so long as you've got the wheel width to use it IMO. I think a 7" wheel is about perfect for a 205 width tire. I would like 7.5" for 225 and 8 for a 245 in a perfect world. In all reality fitment, tire construction, and money cause those ideals to be a series of compromises. Again, it's just my opinion based on prior experience.

HSKR
02-22-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm runnning 225 on my Ninja wheels and they fit great.

cordes
02-22-2015, 11:27 PM
I'm runnning 225 on my Ninja wheels and they fit great.

They do, but you would realize better performance out of the same tire on a wider wheel IMO. Note that a person who isn't looking for the steering response and cornering ability as much as straight line traction won't be as critical of such a fitment. It's a total trade off in a lot of ways and personal preference certainly carries the day.

iTurbo
09-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Well it's been over a year and I STILL haven't bought tires. I now have over 41k miles on the original Goodyear F1 tires. They've lasted far longer than I ever thought they would! Too bad they are no longer available new.

Still torn between the 225/45/19 or 245/40/19. The stock wheels are 19"x7.5". I would like a wider tire of course, and there are a lot more options for the 245/40.

What I REALLY want are Enkei NT03+M wheels (18"x9.5") with 255/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports but that's like $2000!

contraption22
09-15-2015, 08:23 PM
41k is pretty spectacular for a UHP tire.

going4speed
09-15-2015, 08:51 PM
If I get 10k out of the first set of tires on a new car I'm happy. Yes I have a problem and yes admitting is the first step.:nod:

I highly recommend continental dw or dws depending on where you live.

Keito
09-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Mounted up the Toyo's last year, couldn't be happier with them.
I honestly can't believe they have more bite than the original KDW's, but I suppose the KDW's were 11 years old!
In High Octane Mode,(HOM), I used to be able to spin the tires effortlessly in 2nd, not any more.

contraption22
09-16-2015, 08:48 AM
I highly recommend continental dw or dws depending on where you live.

I drove the DWS and the BFG Comp-2 A/S back to back in wet and dry conditions. Drove them HARD. Same vehicles. All tires at placard air pressure, and the BFG's out drove the Conti's in every respect, and are generally sold cheaper, size for size.

going4speed
09-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Fair enough. I used to be a huge fan of bfg's for a long time.

I drove the DWS and the BFG Comp-2 A/S back to back in wet and dry conditions. Drove them HARD. Same vehicles. All tires at

placard air pressure, and the BFG's out drove the Conti's in every respect, and are generally sold cheaper, size for size.

iTurbo
12-12-2015, 10:14 PM
I FINALLY bought a new set of tires for my Caliber SRT, after 42k + miles on the original Goodyear F1s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=44VR9CP7ASPXLOLD&i1_Qty=4

I bought 5 of them and it came to $514. Not bad for *5* Pirellii 245/40/19 tires (+ spare).

I wanted Michelin PSPs, but I'll save those for the new Enkei wheels. In the meantime, these tires should be great for the 3-4 months out of the year that the weather sucks here. The reviews are actually really good... and I might actually get to find out if I can get over 32 MPG on road trips for once.

supercrackerbox
12-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Did you pick up an extra wheel for a spare?

iTurbo
12-14-2015, 10:16 AM
No, I'm still looking for another stock wheel to use as a spare. So far I've only found one at Rock Auto for $178 refurbished. I'd bite the bullet and order it, but it's just silver and not polished like my stock wheels.

bigbarneycars
12-14-2015, 11:51 AM
iTurbo. I don't spend your money or walk in your moccasins but I gotta ask. What difference does it make how shiny it is when it probably will never see the ground around Gillette or going over elk mountain, and if it does who's gonna know or be able to see the difference when you're at speed?

iTurbo
12-14-2015, 12:17 PM
I hear ya. I just figured there would be enough for sale out there that I would have a choice, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

bigbarneycars
12-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Try finding a complete set of 5X100 15" Swiss Cheese in decant shape. The place down the road from me in Charlotte wants $250 per wheel to make 'um look pretty again and theirs no curb rash on any of the other 3. Good thing I found one that was NOS aye? lol

supercrackerbox
12-14-2015, 05:46 PM
No, I'm still looking for another stock wheel to use as a spare. So far I've only found one at Rock Auto for $178 refurbished. I'd bite the bullet and order it, but it's just silver and not polished like my stock wheels.

I was wondering. I've been kicking around the idea of getting just a regular donut and jack out of a junkyard Caliber just in case I have an issue where the air pump won't be enough. I know it won't clear the front brakes but worst case scenario I can bolt the spare onto the back and move the back wheel up front. But in the meantime at least I have roadside assistance.

cordes
12-14-2015, 07:39 PM
I was wondering. I've been kicking around the idea of getting just a regular donut and jack out of a junkyard Caliber just in case I have an issue where the air pump won't be enough. I know it won't clear the front brakes but worst case scenario I can bolt the spare onto the back and move the back wheel up front. But in the meantime at least I have roadside assistance.

Don't they use the front brakes from LX cars? Perhaps a spare from one of those would fit the bill?

iTurbo
12-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Try finding a complete set of 5X100 15" Swiss Cheese in decant shape. The place down the road from me in Charlotte wants $250 per wheel to make 'um look pretty again and theirs no curb rash on any of the other 3. Good thing I found one that was NOS aye? lol

I do love the Swiss Cheese wheels and have a set on my old Omni GLH, but there's no way they'd fit. Different bolt pattern (5x114.3) and the brakes are massive on this car. The Swiss Cheese wheels with 5x100 are kinda rare though, so if you've found a set I'd hold onto them!

Good idea on the spare Adam. I hear that 18" wheels from a Caliber R/T will fit, so maybe a donut from one of those cars will clear.

The front brakes on the CSRT are sourced from the police package Dodge Chargers (13" vented rotors) and the rear brakes are the larger discs from the later Sebrings (12" solid rotors).

HSKR
12-15-2015, 12:29 PM

You would want to put the spare on the rear anyways unless it is the same outside diameter as what you have on the car now Otherwise the different sizes woudl play hell on your trans.

supercrackerbox
12-15-2015, 08:09 PM
True, although very few car owners actually realize that.