PDA

View Full Version : Windshield removal?

Lee'sdaytona
09-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Does anyone know how hard it is to pull a windshield from a junkyard? I now need one for the mini, since a branch came down on it...Thanks Ernesto! Anyway, If I get the special tool (I assume only one tool?) can it be done easily? I'll pay to have it installed.
-Lee
Also on an unrelated topic, anyone able to successfully remove the rear windshield wiper on a minivan without the factory specified tool? I have to replace the grommet there...

Una
09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
It's REALLY hard to get one out without breaking it.

looneytuner
09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Piano wire and a buddy and great care and patience. I did the first one easy. The second one I was too ----y. Oh yeah I'm a pianotuner. (crrazy one with ctsd ((current traumatic stress syndrome)) ).
put vise grips on each end of wire and saw. You might want a second buddy to heat the wire with propane torch to melt the seal. .016 wire is good for about 300 lbs. pull. It's some of the best tempered steel you will see.

Una
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Beware the fumes! The fumes that come off the urethane windshield seal when you're cutting with piano wire, especially HEATED piano wire can KILL YOU FAST!

Lee'sdaytona
09-04-2006, 09:59 PM
alright well in that case, I'll just pay to have it done,...get aftermarket glass
thanks for the responses,
Lee

fargo59
09-23-2006, 03:24 PM
i used several utility knives to cut the rear window out of the 94 grand caravan i scrapped. i also used a heat gun to warm it. but yes, it can be very dangerous, so dont get it too hot. the exacto knife works ok, but you'll use many refill blades.

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the windshield in a daytona is the same as one in a lebaron conv? i cracked my windshield, and there arent many lebarons in the scrap yards arround me. thanks.

jory
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm going to use the piano wire trick when i pull a windshield for my spirit.

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the windshield in a daytona is the same as one in a lebaron conv? i cracked my windshield, and there arent many lebarons in the scrap yards arround me. thanks.
I think the convertables used thicker glass than the coupes etc and a daytona windshield probably wouldn't fit anyway.