PDA

View Full Version : How to repair plastic interior/exterior plastic parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sticky

looneytuner
05-12-2014, 10:28 AM
My job is repairing pianos.
The answer to broken plastic is plastic key tops and acetone. The plastic dissolves in the acetone and bonds broken pieces back together. This is more than just gluing the pieces rather the parts become one piece again. Missing gaps can be filled in with a thicker solution of keytop. Parts can be reinforced from the backside where there is room by bonding part of a keytop to the back. You will have to repaint the parts unless you dye the keytop solution to match. OR you can get some plastic from the junkyard that are the same color and dissolve that.

johnl
05-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Seems like polyethylene (milk bottles) doesn't dissolve in the same solvents as do other types.

And then ABS and PVC glues are different, one won't dissolve the other.

Maybe there's a chart that says which solvent for which plastic and then a way to ID what kind of plastic you have?

supercrackerbox
05-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I've had very good luck repairing ABS plastics (such as our dash framework) with a VersaChem two-part epoxy sold at most parts stores. Look for the one that specifies ABS plastic.

But the urethane body pieces I haven't attempted yet.

Dr. Johny Dodge
05-16-2014, 02:45 PM
for plastic that has oxidized grey like t top trim always does , use turtle wax scratch remover (in the skinny green bottle)

this will make the trim black and smooth enough to shine like brand new & will only take an hour or so to do the typical t top trim set

crusty shadow
05-16-2014, 11:04 PM
ive used this trick many times when doing custom installs. ABS plastic will dissolve in acetone, and become a paste like substance, spread it around where needed and allow to dry completely. sand and refinish as needed. it will be just as strong as it was before it was broken. its much better than using any kind of glue because the ABS parts are chemically melted together instead of bonded together by a glue.

krut
05-17-2014, 07:59 AM
So using the acetone trick, just find some extra abs plastic and soften both surfaces so they can bond? This would work great to repair broken screw holes.

Ondonti
05-17-2014, 08:57 AM
I wonder if this would hold for A pillar trim clips that get torn off. Those take a lot of stress when removed.

minigts
05-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Anyone have any personal examples of work they've done to do this? I would be interested to see some first hand experiences.

crusty shadow
05-18-2014, 09:12 AM
for those the best bet is to use a very strong 2 part epoxy and bond the clip onto the part itself. coat the area where the clip sits, place the clip in position and then another coat of epoxy, allow to cure fully. make sure to sand the area so the epoxy has a good rough surface to grab onto. I use this stuff, works really well for bonding metal and plastic together http://www.lowes.com/pd_192926-69-1365736_4294729383__?productId=3218759&Ntt=glue&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dglue%26page%3D4&facetInfo=

turismolover22
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
That acetona/ABS trick will work great for my broken dash-cowl bolt mounts. Those things are about as strong as a potato chip when you pull that thing out.

csxtra
05-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Anyone have any personal examples of work they've done to do this? I would be interested to see some first hand experiences.

Jon, I fixed/re-created the broken tabs on my 87 CSX grille with the ABS/Acetone (actually used Oatey Extra Special Black ABS Cement) and reinforced them with fiberglass mesh joint tape layered in the ABS. They are much stronger than stock and though the process was time-consuming, I am very happy with the results.

minigts
05-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Jon, I fixed/re-created the broken tabs on my 87 CSX grille with the ABS/Acetone (actually used Oatey Extra Special Black ABS Cement) and reinforced them with fiberglass mesh joint tape layered in the ABS. They are much stronger than stock and though the process was time-consuming, I am very happy with the results.

Thanks Warren, I remember you telling me about this. I may dabble in doing something, but I have just not had any time to do much of anything lately. As Cordes pointed out, not sure why we wait until the last few weeks before SDAC to do ANYTHING on our cars. What are we doing with the other 11 months!? :)

82 Rampage
05-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Working on those never ending projects like I have!