PDA

View Full Version : Winner of the Import Face-Off 4/27 at Nat'l T'l...Matchbox and me!

ATaylorRacing
04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
To save myself time...here is a link to another forum than includes photos of the last two guys I beat. The VW Bug was dialed a 10.56 and the Ghia a 12.2 something.
http://www.indycarz.com/forum/showthread.php?147780-Imort-Face-Off-Winner-ME!&p=937644#post937644

ohiorob
05-02-2014, 07:12 AM
awesome, so how many cars did you have to take down?

ATaylorRacing
05-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Six rounds. Every car but one was quicker...the one slower was a hybrid Honda that was only .20 slower...and I left before he did! The last two cars, both VWs were under 1500 lbs and were the quickest ones being bracket raced....old Matchbox is 1880 lbs dry and way underpowered compared to them...about 92 hp with the atmospheric conditions we had there...normally about 94 hp at Indy. The original HO motor (only 84 Horizons had the GLH drivetrain, mine was the only radio delete car made...option dropped since the car would run in the 120 mph range but the 155x80x13s were only rated at 112!) was shot at 100,000 miles and I had been through 11 of the 5 speeds. In went a drivetrain, axles, shocks, struts, brakes, brake lines, and rack from a 1988 Horizon that had been totaled at under 2000 miles...all for free and with the dealership swapping everything out for free too...it was one of their demos and they were a GREAT sponsor. (The car just had all the brakes, shocks, and struts replaced last year at nearly 301,000 miles!) That motor and automatic trans lasted another 100,000 miles until they were toast. The car sat for 4 1/2 years since I went through a divorce and could not afford another drivetrain...until a rural route mail man friend of mine had his 235,000 minivan t boned. He gave me that tall block 2.5 and newly rebuilt 89 Daytona automatic trans...we [pulled the balance shafts. I drove it untested to Topeka for our combination SDAC/SRT Nats event and won...and the gamblers too. Every 10,000 miles we had to replace the junk pistons, rods, wrist pins. Almost 3 years ago we found a low mileage 94 Shadow and that cb motor was put in...kept the balance shafts...nice and smooth. We stuck my 84 intake on it with a several year old Weber 32/36 downdraft. To get the same egts we even had to dejet the secondary one size jet. The computer is only used to start it since I was tired of the things going bad every 14-16 months...so capped off the vacuum lines and rejected the carb. I shift at 4750 on 1-2 and 4500 on 2-3....any higher shifts and it slows down quite a bit.

ATaylorRacing
05-02-2014, 11:04 AM
I will bracket race it at Indy this week...then next week it will get a moderately port matched later model intake (all the 84 and up flow better than the 84), Hooker Competition long tube header, and a bigger cam. I will go up one size on the primary jet and two on the secondary as a start...reason for the change after so many years of having a perfectly good consistent bracket car...on windy days with the low hp I have the car is VERY inconsistent. My 95 Neon runs the same ets but has 10 mph more on the top end...wind does not affect it at all, in fact, the day I had the quickest ets we had a stiff 20+ mph headwind!