PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 dizzy off swap to 3.3 coilpack

GentleCowboy
04-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Hey everyone, I have been thinking for a while to remove the distributor all together and use a coil pack from a 3.3. I know it can be done but the imfo that I had some time ago was to have a Ford EDMS installed and it's easy. Any light will be very much appreciated.

c2xejk
04-27-2014, 12:21 PM
You would need to be running MegaSquirt to do it. I you are eliminating the distributor, then you need to switch to at least a toothed wheel (ie. 36-1 toothed wheel) for engine position.

If you are running an MS2, you will need to added two more ignition drivers.

Tell us more about your setup and we can give more details.

Ed Kelly - kmperformance.com

GentleCowboy
04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
You would need to be running MegaSquirt to do it. I you are eliminating the distributor, then you need to switch to at least a toothed wheel (ie. 36-1 toothed wheel) for engine position.

If you are running an MS2, you will need to added two more ignition drivers.

Tell us more about your setup and we can give more details.

Ed Kelly - kmperformance.com

Hey Ed, I have been delaying the MS2 since October, but I will get one from DIYAutotune and install it in couple of months. I don't want to start swapping from my red Lebaron. The 95 one will be off the road for couple of more months till the weather gets warmer up here.

c2xejk
04-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Make sure you let them know that you will be running a coil pack and they can set it up for you (assuming that they are building it for you.)

For a while I considered a coil pack, but ultimately I concluded not enough upside and too many down sides. (I was considering running a really aggressive cam and wasted spark could potentially cause some issues...)

Sundance 6g72
04-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Like Ed said, make sure they know the setup you plan on running

This includes; the crank sensor (Hall Effect or VR), amount of coil packs (3 coils for wasted spark = 3 ignition drivers).