PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in someone making lowering plates/disc conversion for minivans.

shackwrrr
04-15-2014, 12:51 PM
I have been looking at lowering my van for the longest time and I want to keep my carrying capacity and some of my suspension travel. Those requirements necessitate either an AWD axle swap or lowering plates. Due to the rarity of the AWD vans in my area I have none to scavenge for parts; plus I disliked the drum only. The bolt pattern change wasn't a deal breaker but still made the swap more expensive. This pretty much leaves me with the option of lowering plates. I also happen to have a set of spirit R/T vented 11in rotors that I could use in this swap. The problem I have is lack of access to materials and equipment. That is why I am making this post, I hope to gauge the interest in this then from there find someone with the equipment to make them.

My idea of a good version would be 3-4" of lowering built in to match using car struts up front, and the ability to bolt on any car rear brake package. I think 3/4 to 1" thick aluminum bar stock would make a good material for them.

I know a few members here have made some for their selves, Im still looking for the pictures of them.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?52411-rear-disk-brake-conversion-89-minivan&highlight=minivan+lowering+plates

shackwrrr
04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?62166-Mini-Van-Rear-Disc-Brake-Conv-Q&highlight=minivan+rear+disc

Vigo
04-15-2014, 05:02 PM
I suggested these in Acannell's thread over on TD. If i imagine them as a rectangular ~1/2-5/8" thick plate with 8 holes drilled in it, it seems pretty dang simple. A lot simpler than my AWD axle. But then again i did my awd axle because i thought i would use the AWD part and found out the lowering thing sort of by accident. :p

Johnny
04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Two things.....

1. If I had a perfect sample, I could have them laser cut.

2. Why not just take out springs and add the $135 air bag kit and you got it made.

shackwrrr
04-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Two things.....

1. If I had a perfect sample, I could have them laser cut.

2. Why not just take out springs and add the $135 air bag kit and you got it made.

Im sure a CAD file could be whipped up but I dont know the measurements. I believe that this is a job better suited for machining out of aluminum. The way the bolt patterns overlap, countersinking is required.

I have thought about the air suspension but with wanting to switch to disc brakes at the same time, the plates make more sense to me. Also since I live in a salt state, I would like to avoid disassembling the leaf packs. It is definitely a viable solution to lowering a minivan though.

Vigo
04-18-2014, 12:47 PM
The air spring thing was actually in the plans for me. Remove some leaves, install air bags, adjustable lowering, better ride.. Great theory, but i havent proven it!

85boostbox
04-18-2014, 02:01 PM
I am not a personal fan of air bags. Too many times have I seen them blow out and then you might be SOL. I prefer a static suspension.

Reaper1
04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, if you get the airbags like the ones used on semi's and such (they do make them smaller), they should be fine. That's some pretty durable material.