PDA

View Full Version : 8v top end package (where to go?)

iTurbo
04-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Was wondering what you other guys have done when putting together a mild 8v top end package (head/manifolds). I have a good stock swirl head, a two-piece intake manifold with Lengel's big plenum to go with it, and will hopefully soon have the TU cast header.

I was thinking it would be nice if it was all port-matched and maybe some slightly larger than stock valves. I even have a spare plenum flange from Lengel that should assist in port matching the Lengel plenum to the lower half of the intake manifold. I might even send my turbine housing so it can be port matched to the header as well.

I guess it would be nice to send head/manifolds/turbine to the same person so it could all be matched together, but am unsure of anybody that would even do it. My goal is just a fun street car and would like to make ~300 HP on as little boost as possible with 91 octane max.

4 l-bodies
04-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah +1mm head for sure Jeremy. The only bad thing is shipping all those parts two ways would add to your already significant investment. Plus of course the cost for a fully ported +1mm or better cylinder head.
Sounds like my GLHT I sold to Jessie Buhr last year. Run fast on low boost. You need a good head, exhaust, and manifolds to do that.
Todd

135sohc
04-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Steve M?

The economy and the internet has shrunken down the pool of talent that used to do such things.

GLHNSLHT2
04-13-2014, 03:06 PM
IMHO, if you're going to run a big plenum then you're going to want to port the lower piece all the way through. Then you're going to want to have a head that will at least flow as much as the intake then if you bolt on some high flow exhaust manny you're going to want to your exhaust ports to flow enough. So it's kinda like if you leave the head stock then why buy all the other pieces? The system should match everything. If not you're just wasting money, again IMO.

I agree with Todd in that the head should be fully ported and at least 1mm valves in it. Go big or go home :)