PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded calipers....are there any?

lancerman23
04-11-2014, 12:33 PM
87 Shelby z... would like to upgrade my stock calipers with something more performance orientated. i am over stock hp.. by a lot, i have not tested the stock brakes to see if they will hold up to any harsh braking (ie road course racing and such) wanted to see what you guys have seen, tried.. what works and what doesn't..thanks. :thumb:

francois
04-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Which tires brand are you using and what about the brake compound?

GLHNSLHT2
04-11-2014, 01:02 PM
drop 89/90 11" brakes on it

lancerman23
04-11-2014, 01:08 PM
i was going to run the hawk pads, and a set of Hankook Ventus V12's 16" rim's

- - - Updated - - -

i see that's what a lot of people do.. I was hoping for a dual piston caliper.. but I'm having ZERO luck finding any kits.. i guess guys are making there own brackets to make some kits work?!

contraption22
04-11-2014, 02:08 PM
You can adapt kits intended for some SRT-4's. Wilwood, StopTech etc. Those would require 17" wheels at the minimum.

As implied though if you are running good pads, good fluid, you're probably going to run out of tire grip before the caliper will be your weakest link.

lancerman23
04-11-2014, 02:39 PM
You can adapt kits intended for some SRT-4's. Wilwood, StopTech etc. Those would require 17" wheels at the minimum.

As implied though if you are running good pads, good fluid, you're probably going to run out of tire grip before the caliper will be your weakest link.

got ya..good to know guys.. thanks

Dr. Johny Dodge
04-11-2014, 03:29 PM
in a street driven car that's going to drive tens of thousands of miles I have to question the wisdom of useing multy piston calipers because every time you add another piston / bore and seal you add another chance for a failure

on a track car ok
cryco used to put 4 piston calipers on their stuff in the mid/late 60's and early 70's

I'm sure cost was a major factor when they switched to single piston calipers but the 4 piston ones weren't that great - just cool