PDA

View Full Version : Alternator relocation - idea thread

Sundance 6g72
04-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the alternator could be relocated to where the AC once resided? Or maybe even the PS pump if you run without one.

Moving the Alt down into an otherwise empty area (if you do an AC delete) would be very helpful for a few reasons. The biggest reason I can think of is that it will let you run a larger intake setup closer to the firewall (reversed stealth intake for example). Rear mount turbo setups would have more room to play. Even getting to the rear cam would be easier.

I have no idea where to start so feel free to chime in on pros and cons, ideas, etc.

Shadow24
04-09-2014, 05:09 PM
It has been done. I can't find any details on how to do it, but there are a few threads on TD where a couple people going with superchargers moved the alternator to the A/C position

MC#4
04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
I also vaguely remember reading about it being relocated to where the A/C was. Seems like the ideal solution.

Sundance 6g72
04-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Would be nice to have specifics on the subject :(

I dont have a motor readily available to look at right now

Pageophile
04-10-2014, 11:28 AM
That would be a great idea, I've got a GLH Turbo with the Air-Con delete. Wow are those L-Body engine bays tight! Can't imagine with A/C too

Ondonti
04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Could I throw in that it would lower the center of gravity of the engine assembly? For me, that area down by the a/c is hard to work on and would be worse putting something back in there with not much gain. I think it would require a purpose like fitting an intake manifold or something else where you needed the room and were willing to put up with some annoyance. I find the alternator easy to work around when you ditch the extra brackets and I don't need extra space there.

Sundance 6g72
04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
i cant think of what I would need to work with in the AC area to be honest.