PDA

View Full Version : new grainger valve spring

Aries_Turbo
09-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I decided to look on mcmaster to see if I could find a better spring and I think that ive found one. part number 9434K41 . I havent cranked the boost yet but its significantly stronger than the stock spring, the same starting length, just a touch narrower than the stock spring and has thicker wire thickness. since its a little narrower, it fits tight to the barb that sticks through the adjuster "knob" when you hammer in a brass fitting. ive set it anywhere from 7psi to 19psi so I know it works to there and i have ALOT more adjustment in it left. I'll have Slasky test the spring when we go to the track next.

Brian

supercrackerbox
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Keep us posted!

Murphy
01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
i just ordered a set of them, hows that one workin out for ya?

Aries_Turbo
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
works well so far but ive only been to 20psi but its turned in no where near as far as with the other spring.

Brian

ssheen
01-03-2007, 05:57 PM
notice any difference in the boost levels from the hot weather to the cold weather? Like there can be with stock spring.

contraption22
01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
notice any difference in the boost levels from the hot weather to the cold weather? Like there can be with stock spring.

You will get that with any manual boost controller.

Aries_Turbo
01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
yup, what mike said.

one caveat about this spring... its a little narrower than the other one so at really tight pressures, it can try to blob off the one side of the ball and get bound up in the housing. you can prevent this by using a small, smooth teflon tube where the middle of the spring is inside the housing to take up space and guide the spring. you could use nylon too but i dunno about that in hot engine bays. keep it cool and it would be fine. but it is alot stiffer than stock and should support 25psi+ though i havent put the alky on the car to find out.

slasky has his car set at 27psi but I dont know what spring he is using though I gave him one of mine.

Brian

ssheen
01-03-2007, 11:49 PM
You will get that with any manual boost controller.
With our spring valves, sure. The temps effect the spring in the spring. :D Was hoping for something with less of a change.

A buddy was tired of the change and found another one that does not. Think it was some fish valve.

contraption22
01-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Perhaps you are correct, but the fact of the matter is, with any form of mechanical boost control, you will get more boost and faster rise in cold conditions compared to warm conditions.

Example: My SRT-4 is running straight manifold pressure to the wastegate actuator. No boost control at all... only the spring in the actuator to control boost. When it's 65 degrees out, I get ~7psi. When it's 35 degrees out, I get ~9psi.