PDA

View Full Version : Re-Chip with new processors

mpgmike
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
For those wanting to re-chip their ECU's, and have the knowledge to use and program newer processors, here's the hardware solution:

http://arieselec.com/products/data/18046-program-your-own-correct-a-chip.htm

Reaper1
03-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Isn't this just a socket for the ROM chip that has the cal on it? I know I'm not that well educated in our ECU's, but I've not heard of anybody "upgrading" the actual processor.

ShelGame
03-19-2014, 02:23 PM
I do plan to build myself a SMEC using a 68HC11A9 processor. It's basically the same but has 2x the on-board RAM. Technically, that's an 'upgrade'. It's the same processor I plan to use in the 'SuperLM' - when I get back to work on it.

Reaper1
03-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Interesting. So what advantages will this provide? Obviously it can run the program faster, but I got the impression that the limit to our ECU wasn't really a processor problem so much as there is only so much room in the program or ROM chip? This sounds like a great idea that could extend the capabilities of our stock harware.

ShelGame
03-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Interesting. So what advantages will this provide? Obviously it can run the program faster, but I got the impression that the limit to our ECU wasn't really a processor problem so much as there is only so much room in the program or ROM chip? This sounds like a great idea that could extend the capabilities of our stock harware.

It's not that much of an upgrade. It won't run any faster, and it won't provide anymore program space. Honestly, program sapce isn't a problem. The '95 Neon FCC uses the same family of processor runnign at the same speed - and it manages to also run quasi-OBDII diagnostics.

The extended RAM really only allows for some extra calculation storage space. The SBEC and SBECII already have extra RAM and so they can store some calculation values that are only stored as temp variables in the SMEC (sometimes).

Reaper1
03-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Ah, ok. Makes sense.