PDA

View Full Version : So... rear axles

TylerEss
01-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Do they all swap on the K-derivitives?

Nobody ever talks about this because there's no good rear-axle upgrades. Has anybody ever just tried it out to see which axles interchange?

Johnny
01-07-2006, 03:35 AM
They all interchange. BUT, there "are" some upgrades. There are rear axles with hollow round tubes through the center and there are axles with solid tubes through the center. these tubes are the sway bar. If you want a better sway bar, just swap in the solid axle...or buy an aftermarket add-on style sway bar. I did both on my Turbo 1986 Ply Reliant wagon. It has a 1989 Daytona Shelby Z rear axle and a PolyBushings.com rear sway bar. makes the wagon handle great.
Johnny
http://www.polybushings.com

http://www.polybushings.com/images/k.autocross2.jpg

TylerEss
01-07-2006, 03:51 AM
If anybody knew the answer to this question, I knew it would be Johnny Spiva. Cheers!:amen:

Directconnection
01-07-2006, 09:39 AM
They all interchange. BUT, there "are" some upgrades. There are rear axles with hollow round tubes through the center and there are axles with solid tubes through the center. these tubes are the sway bar. If you want a better sway bar, just swap in the solid axle...or buy an aftermarket add-on style sway bar. I did both on my Turbo 1986 Ply Reliant wagon. It has a 1989 Daytona Shelby Z rear axle and a PolyBushings.com rear sway bar. makes the wagon handle great.
Johnny
http://www.polybushings.com
Wouldn't the hollow rear axle setup with an add-on swaybar be more superior over the solid rear axle setup? Think of the unsprung weight differences.

GLHNSLHT2
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
They don't Alll interchange. The brackets are different in length some years, the lengths of the trailing arms are different from my Gbody to my mom's AA body and my track is 1/2" wider as well due to thicker back plates behind the brakes. I couldn't bolt her rear axle onto my car because of the different brackets. The length and width difference's would probably "ok" but it might push the wheel back enough to run the rear fender but I didn't try it. I'd try to stick to a year close to yours. If you have a base car from 87, try to find an 87 or 88 ShelbyZ. If you have a 90+ then find a 90+ Shelby or IROC. If you've got a AA body I'd look for a spirit R/T axle. I'd just measure it out carefully before you purchase.

inmyshadow
01-07-2006, 04:43 PM
if it helps, the previous owner my shadow convertible installed a spirit r/t rear axle.

Johnny
01-08-2006, 12:27 PM
They don't Alll interchange. The brackets are different in length some years,

All you do is change the brackets, too.

Johnny

Speedeuphoria
09-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I put a 91 Spirit R/T trailing on my 89 Spirit ES and drilled 2 new holes in the bracket. This was because the newer one had wider bushings and I didn't want to bend the brackets to fit. I ended up measuring them and found that the single rear most hole on the bracket was the same distance on both, but the later 91 style holes were spaced further out, so I drilled 2 new ones in each bracket. Also the length of the arm itself was different between the 2, but was made up by a different position of the pivot bolt in the bracket so overall they were the same length.