PDA

View Full Version : Masi 16v Timing belt tension

iTurbo
03-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Is there a timing belt tension specification for the Masi 16v engines? I have a belt tension gauge that I've used on TIII engines.

One thing I am concerned about is getting an accurate reading....On my TIIIs I would remove the rocker shafts which would relieve the valve spring pressure. It occurs to me that this is not possible due to the different architecture of the Masi head. Would it matter at what position the engine is in (TDC, BDC, or whatever) to get an accurate belt tension reading? Am I overthinking this?

shackwrrr
03-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Just take two wrenches on the cams and pull all the slack to the top. Its kinda a feel thing just give them enough that you think you are overcoming the valve springs then measure between the cams. Not sure on a number though. Most 16v cars are pretty tight so I would have to say it would be close to 80-90.

4 l-bodies
03-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Jeremy,
Just tighten like a regular ole 8v motor. Masi's don't have the issues the TIII's do. It does not matter about what position it is in when adjusting tension.
Todd

joelzip
03-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Sounds like your installing that new cross referenced timing belt? I believe it was you that bought the new one? Let me know how it works.

Reaper1
03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Jeremy,
Just tighten like a regular ole 8v motor. Masi's don't have the issues the TIII's do. It does not matter about what position it is in when adjusting tension.
Todd

This is how I was told to do it as well. If I can remember, I'll look it up in my Masi FSM when I get home.

iTurbo
03-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'm not quite at the point of installing the T-belt. Probably this summer sometime...I probably won't even replace the belt at this at this point (~50k mile motor), but I would like to have it tensioned properly. Can I use the 8v timing belt tension tool (the one with the bob weight?)

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2014, 02:08 AM
^Yes, same tension spec.