PDA

View Full Version : Koni L Body Coilover Install Issues

turboshadow
03-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Installed my new Coilovers on the front of my SC today, and something doesn't seem right. When I turn the wheel the whole mount moves and it seems like the suspension is binding up. Is there a special way to put on the strut mount? I put the rubber gasket on top of the coilover top hat then the bushing up into the mount.

Pat
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Is the upper spring hat riding on the bearing? Got pics of the set up?

turboshadow
03-07-2014, 04:36 PM
No pics right now the hat has a rubber ring between it and the bearing, the ring came with the coilovers im not sure where else it could go.

Pat
03-07-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm having trouble picturing what you are explaining, but I suspect something on the spring hat is riding on the strut mount instead of sitting on the bearing.

I just made coilover spring seats for my GRM project. The weight of the car is resting on the bearing as it does with the stock set up, with no interference between the strut mount and the strut itself as the strut moves when the wheel is turned.

See post #30 for pics. Maybe that will help illustrate what I'm saying.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?74275-Pat-s-GRM-Rampage-Project-2014/page2&highlight=

Pat

glhs727
03-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Installed my new Coilovers on the front of my SC today, and something doesn't seem right. When I turn the wheel the whole mount moves and it seems like the suspension is binding up. Is there a special way to put on the strut mount? I put the rubber gasket on top of the coilover top hat then the bushing up into the mount.

The tophat for the coilover spring should ride directly on the strut mount bearing

- - - Updated - - -

The tophat for the coilover spring should ride directly on the strut mount bearing

- - - Updated - - -

Pat
03-07-2014, 05:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

So where should the tophat for the coilover spring ride? Directly on the strut mount bearing? :p

turboshadow
03-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Okay so any idea what the rubber ring is for? it came with my hardware bag from Koni.

glhs727
03-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Okay so any idea what the rubber ring is for? it came with my hardware bag from Koni.

can you post a picture? because I looked in both the front koni and rear koni boxes and did not find any rubber rings in the hardware kit. I think it is safe to say you don't need it.

Johnny
03-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I had the same issue with mine and when I did the same thing on my caravan.
i had to do some major modifying to make it turn smooth.

turboshadow
03-08-2014, 12:09 PM
When I have some time I'm going to jack the car up and see if I can get that rubber ring off without taking the strut back off, hopefully that fixes my issue.

2.216VTurbo
03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Mine are not binding but are a bit noisey, you only hear em at low/zero speed turning movements. Someone posted up a number for those flat roller bearing 'plates' They seem like a good idea...