PDA

View Full Version : Distributor oil leak

turbo84voyager
03-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Just curious how much oil do these tend to leak since they are spinning in reverse? Has anyone come up with a solution to fix the problem? I took mine apart last night so I can clean it up and reposition the shutter wheel and I saw the groves in the shaft that divert the oil away from the distributor in normal rotation but will prob push more oil in reverse. I read posts where people said they had "Massive" leaks. I cant see it being that bad but figured id ask.

Thanks,

Justin

ohiorob
03-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Mine never leaked in the 10 years running this set up and never leaked on the SRT Mini van I built years ago. maybe there dist. was too loose or blowby.

turbo84voyager
03-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Great to hear thanks!

jonnymopar
05-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Funny you just posted this. I was poking around before I made a post about the same thing. In 40k miles, I can't say that mine has leaked a lot, but it's enough where I need to wipe it with a rag. My annual 1000-mile Carlisle weekend will usually result in a tiny bit of oil dripping down onto the transmission. It's more of an annoyance. Nothing I'd consider major.

I've tossed around the idea of making a new distributor shaft with those grooves cut in the opposite direction, especially now that my engine does not leak a drop of oil anywhere other than the distributor. The stock shaft is tough, but not tool steel tough. Maybe 4140 would be a good option to use for a custom shaft?