PDA

View Full Version : Masi 16v Masi 16v retrofit questions

iTurbo
03-05-2014, 01:52 AM
I would like to know about some difficulties I may encounter in attempting to install a Masi 16v engine into an older turbo Mopar such as my Shelby Lancer.

1. Can I make a throttle body work without the crazy brackets/adapters used in the Chrysler 16v Maserati by TC? What will I have to do to say..use te the typical 52mm throttle body without the brackets/adapters?? Throttle cable might have to be longer?

2. Will a TII rad/intercooler work with the Masi 16v intake manifold? Seems like it would. If so, what about the radiator fan? I can install a low-profile radiator fan if needed.

3. Can I use a non-A/C bracket from an 8v application in lieu of the Masi 16v A/C bracket? I do not care to have A/C because I live in Wyoming.

4. I plan to use an A568 transaxle. Any issues I should be aware of since I'm not using the Getrag 284 trans these 16v cars came with originally?

5. Is there a readily available timing belt out there?

6. Is there a web page out there that covers timing belt replacement? I'm sure I can figure it out, but more info the better.

vipernbox
03-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Ok... My experience is fitting the Masi engine in a 1990 Van with 5spd..

1) I just used the wacky Masi setup... It worked with my stock throttle cable and was easy.. I imagine you could have a cable made to make the other setup work, but some of that bracketry might end up close to the radiator or in the way of stuff.. I dunno.. I didn't think about it to much.. I just went the easy way.

2) I have the stock Masi intercooler radiator setup running in the van. I built this little stand years ago with some sections of tube and some large washers which basically bolts into a van allowing me to bolt in a daytona radiator intercooler setup... It is tight.. but clears the intake no problem.

3) I am using a non A/C bracket on my Masi.. I don't know if I may have had something else a bit off or what but I had to clearance the inside of the Non A/C bracket just a bit to clear the Masi timing belt.

4) Just use the proper flywheel from the 568/523/555/520 and you will have no problems. The Masi fllywheel I think is a bit different.. I didn't have any troubles..

5) I just bought a Gates T120 Fits 1991 Alfa 164 with 3.0 V6... Tooth count and pitch looks to be the same.. I have yet to try it..

(link has the info... they can be found even cheaper)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GATU/T120/02376.oap?year=1991&make=Alfa%2BRomeo&model=164&vi=1001114&ck=Search_02376_1001114_-1&pt=02376&ppt=C0141

6) I can upload a picture of the FSM showing the timing marks for ya.. remind me if I forget.

2.216VTurbo
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I'd say Viper covered those questions pretty well:thumb: When I pulled the failed 284 Getrag out of my Yellow TC Masi to swap for a OBX/523 of all things the tin from the Masi wouldn't fit:confused: Not that it's a hard bit to find but it did required another trip to the Yard. I did also swap to a standard 52mm TB and sourced a cable outta the yard. Sure helps hooking up the IC to TB hose without that goofy (and heavy!) bracket in the way.

I thought I had pics loaded here of the TB conversion and I found some from the weekend I did it but I don't think these show much:o

joelzip
03-05-2014, 09:05 PM
58mm throttle body with minivan bracket fits right on. S