PDA

View Full Version : Northstar in a minivan...

Ground Rat
09-01-2006, 03:01 AM
I just thought of it tonight; I could go this route next year instead of a GT30 or bigger on my 2.5L. There are several FWD DOHC 32v aluminum northstar V8s. The most popular is the 4.6L caddy, but I want to use the 4.0L olds motor. Performance parts are expensive for this motor, but there is unlimited potential. I still need to do some research on dimensions and limits of the FWD trans. It's a cool idea though!

Clay
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
I just thought of it tonight; I could go this route next year instead of a GT30 or bigger on my 2.5L. There are several FWD DOHC 32v aluminum northstar V8s. The most popular is the 4.6L caddy, but I want to use the 4.0L olds motor. Performance parts are expensive for this motor, but there is unlimited potential. I still need to do some research on dimensions and limits of the FWD trans. It's a cool idea though!

If guys can shoe horn on into a fiero, then Im sure it can be done in a mini.

as for the old motor, isn't that an aurora not a northstar?

Turbodave
09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Completely unrelated, but I always thought a Supercharged 3800 swapped into one of the old dustbuster GM vans would be a good one. You could get the 3800 in Pontiac Trans-port van, so the SC motor would be a bolt in. Put some pullies on it for more boost and it would probably be a low 14second beast.

JDAWG
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Just find one without blown headgaskets

bfarroo
09-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Completely unrelated, but I always thought a Supercharged 3800 swapped into one of the old dustbuster GM vans would be a good one. You could get the 3800 in Pontiac Trans-port van, so the SC motor would be a bolt in. Put some pullies on it for more boost and it would probably be a low 14second beast.

There was a guy up here at Kakauna running one in a saturn. Very nice install, looked like it came that way from the factory.

Benji

Whorse
09-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Just find one without blown headgaskets

You mean buy a new one?

yogurt_slinger
09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
I've *heard* that parts from a V8 diplomat or new yorker can be easily made to fit a mini.... RWD V8 mini, now that would be tits.

Clay
09-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I've *heard* that parts from a V8 diplomat or new yorker can be easily made to fit a mini.... RWD V8 mini, now that would be tits.

I always wanted to put a small block in a mini, but not in the front, in the back like the Little Red Wagon. Right behind the front seats, now that would be sweet! My parents had the perfect candidate too, an 89 tbi Voyager! To bad they gave it away a few years back.

JDAWG
09-01-2006, 10:32 PM
You mean buy a new one?
they blow headgaskets, gm had kinda of a recall but not. If you bitched enough and said this is a well known problem then they would do it for free. My buddies Deville did it. I forget what liter engine it was.

Turbulence
09-01-2006, 10:42 PM

Before my hard drive took a dump I had a link to a website where someone did just that. Can't find it now though. If I recall correctly, the front frame rails fit exactly within the rails of the van, or something like that. Firewall needed major massaging though.

Martin
89 Horizon

Ground Rat
09-01-2006, 11:49 PM
If guys can shoe horn on into a fiero, then Im sure it can be done in a mini.
Werd. Also, check out this swap: http://www.cwstuning.com/gallery/coupe-degolf :D

as for the old motor, isn't that an aurora not a northstar?
The aurora engine (L47) is in the northstar family. They are usually referred to as aurora V8s.

Ground Rat
09-01-2006, 11:50 PM
That's a great idea. A 3.8L SC (L67) swap into my mini might be cheaper than the northstar.

DeckSetter
09-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Don't go for the Aurora 4.0L, they feel WEAK down low (friend had one, that thing was slow up until 40 or so) and I was told by a GM dealership mechanic, "They leak oil EVERYWHERE."

L67 could be cool, people have converted those to turbo with good results...

......but only do it if you just want to be unique. Remember, Ubmbass is about to break into the 11s with an 8 valve in a minivan. Pop a 2.4 in if you want to go FREAKING fast.

fleckster
09-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I always wanted to put a small block in a mini, but not in the front, in the back like the Little Red Wagon. Right behind the front seats, now that would be sweet! My parents had the perfect candidate too, an 89 tbi Voyager! To bad they gave it away a few years back.

Clay, wouldn't it be easier to just find and buy an old A-100 van? Then you would be all set.

Also, next time you find a nice bodied '89 Voyager or Caravan let me know! I have the harness and engine out of my rusted parts van to make it sweet!

Tony Fields
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Clay, wouldn't it be easier to just find and buy an old A-100 van? Then you would be all set.

Also, next time you find a nice bodied '89 Voyager or Caravan let me know! I have the harness and engine out of my rusted parts van to make it sweet!

Saw an A-100 today in a salvage yard...........it was like "The Little Red Wagon"

Had a /6 in it with a stick....all the tags inside the drivers door were intact.

Ground Rat
09-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't go for the Aurora 4.0L, they feel WEAK down low (friend had one, that thing was slow up until 40 or so) and I was told by a GM dealership mechanic, "They leak oil EVERYWHERE."
There's no way I'd swap in a stock motor, lol. I think stock 4 liters only make about 275hp. There are streetable turbo northstars making over 1000whp. :eyebrows: