PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Removal

Chris W
02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Apparently the alternator mounting bolt which goes through the bushings is pointed towards the drivers side. This requires you to remove the A/C bracket to remove the alternator due to the body of the car getting in the way. To save some time we suggest you cut off the bolt head and pull it through the drivers side. Just pick up another alternator bolt and place the nut on the passenger side instead.

Chris-TU

supercrackerbox
02-28-2014, 04:54 AM
All my cars have always had the nut on the passenger side.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was in the Consulier section.

player1up
02-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Mine also had the nut on the passenger side. My alternator locked up a couple of weeks ago, smoked the new belt and broke it.
I did the water pump, timing belt and tensioner as well. I figured if the bearings on the alt were done, so were the ones on the water pump.
I still ended up removing the A/C compressor bracket because I was doing all of that stuff it made getting to everything easier.

A.J.
02-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Once the bolt is facing the correct way, if you take it out the bottom you have to remove the lower radiator hose and the oil filter. Or, if you take it out the top the AC compressor has to come out (pushed to the side) and water hose from the remote coolant fill reservoir has to be disconnected. Either way sucks because you have to open the coolant system. It sucks more to adjust the AC belt so I'd probably opt to take it out from the bottom.