PDA

View Full Version : Remove exhaust manifold, engine in car

turbodaytona87
02-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Has anyone removed the exhaust manifold with the engine in the car? Would I need to replace the gasket if I do? I can pull my turbo out just fine in-car. I was attaching the turbo most recently with metal locking nuts that were not the right size, or maybe the stud threads were damaged, and I snapped a stud off. I also have coarse thread studs (didn't know any better at the time) and would like to take this opportunity to replace them with fine thread studs (turbo side, not manifold side)

83scamp
02-19-2014, 04:47 PM
The intake & exhaust share a gasket. It's a composite gasket, so you need to replace it. Truth is, it's easiest to pull the head to remove the manifolds.

Not saying it can't be done, but a couple of the bolts are near impossible to get out with it in the car... It's a few bucks more for a head gasket & valve cover gasket, but well worth the frustration saved...:)

tryingbe
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
I can, but I have a TBI exhaust manifold.

I'd remove the head in your case, since you have thread/stud problems as-is.

turbodaytona87
02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
I had also thought about just replacing the manifold with a tubular log. Mine is a mildly ported stock manifold that was redrilled for a T3 flange a few years ago. I was hoping the relative newishness of the studs and holes would mean not too much hassle with removing them.

Vader85
05-04-2014, 11:49 PM
PB Blaster is our friend during removal,..... Along with anti-sieze during installation!

Reaper1
05-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Try CRC Freeze Off. It actually has worked very well for me. I've used it on some pretty nasty stuff and all but the worst (which didn't even come loose with a torch).

Vigo
07-24-2014, 11:46 PM
You can take off the manifolds in the car but it is tedious and i would say fairly difficult. It can be EXTREMELY difficult if you have limited tool selection or have to deal with damaged fasteners. Since you already know you have damaged fasteners, i would just pull the head. If you clean up all the threads and put anti-seize on everything, it should be possible to take the manifolds off in the car in the future if you ever need to.

turbovanmanČ
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I tried in the car years ago, gave up, quicker and easier to pull the head.

turismolover22
08-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Try CRC Freeze Off. It actually has worked very well for me. I've used it on some pretty nasty stuff and all but the worst (which didn't even come loose with a torch).Best thing Ive found to date with the heat+wax method.

inplansight
08-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Just pull the head, you will thank me. Back in the day I pulled two sets and it was a time consuming project without 15 more years of rust piled on. Just pull the head and save five hours of you life. The head can be pulled off the car in about an hour.

Shadowv4l
08-16-2014, 01:00 PM
It depends on what style bolts you have, mine are hex head so I can use my swivel hex sockets to weasel my way in there.