PDA

View Full Version : Engine: WTB: deck oil restrictor

iTurbo
02-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Turns out I need another oil restrictor for my next build. Here is a picture of one. I don't think they are available at the parts counter any longer.

turismolover22
02-16-2014, 04:28 PM
I thought you could take a small freeze plug that fits in the hole and drill a small hole in it for the head oil feed restrictor. Or is this a different plug/different application?

iTurbo
02-16-2014, 04:32 PM
That probably could be done and I might even do that myself. It's for an '85 block (never came with one), but I'm going to be running a later head with a roller cam so I don't want too much oil getting up into the head. I've even heard of a guy that made one out of a 9mm shell casing. I do not know the oil hole size of the stock restrictor though.. so I'm hoping to find a stock restrictor first.

A used one would be fine, if somebody has the ability to pull one out of any random '86+ 2.2/2.5 block.

4 l-bodies
02-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Jeremy,
If you find a new one it will probably be around .140. Books say supposed to be .125 I just use used ones and braze shut hole and drill to whatever I want.
Todd

supercrackerbox
02-16-2014, 11:36 PM
I'd have to check the Speed Secrets book for the part number, but it lists an "un-restrictor" that is drilled slightly larger than the factory one. Don't know if that part might still be available.

GLHS60
02-17-2014, 01:55 AM
I'd have to check the Speed Secrets book for the part number, but it lists an "un-restrictor" that is drilled slightly larger than the factory one. Don't know if that part might still be available.

I "think" you might be referring to the threaded oil filter stand pipe that has no anti drain back valve. Early engines didn't have the check valve ball in the pipe and MP sold them as un restrictors.

Thanks
Randy

supercrackerbox
02-17-2014, 12:46 PM
No, it specifically was discussing the restrictors, and gave the hole size for the standard ones and the MP ones. I'll find the part numbers tonight.

4 l-bodies
02-17-2014, 01:50 PM

I "think" you might be referring to the threaded oil filter stand pipe that has no anti drain back valve. Early engines didn't have the check valve ball in the pipe and MP sold them as un restrictors.

Thanks
Randy

Yeah Randy when the word unrestrictor was mentioned, that was the first thing I thought of too. I remember buying one for my 85 GLHT. Still in there. Now my restrictor or check valve is my oil cooler (lol).
I do remember the factory ones being all over the map as far as size. From no restrictor to about .084. .125-.140 is common.
Todd

going4speed
02-17-2014, 03:22 PM
the one on my car is much smaller than 0.125. would that be a problem?

4 l-bodies
02-18-2014, 07:04 PM
the one on my car is much smaller than 0.125. would that be a problem?
Never seen a stock one smaller than about .084. That was for Masi DOHC. .125" isn't very big. 1/8" hole.
Todd