PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head oil galley plug leaking

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Noticed this plug was leaking and so far haven't gotten it to seal up. Tried ordering a new one from Chris at TU but he said his supplier cannot get them anymore. I tried a mopar sealant with it the first go around and it still leaked. This time I tried red Loctite. Any other ideas. I'm about to tap the hole and put a plug in it but i don't want metal shavings down in the engine either.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/bgbmxer/Mobile%20Uploads/image-24.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/bgbmxer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-24.jpg.html)

zin
02-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Tap it, but dip the tap in some grease, go slowly, and almost all of the chips with get captured in /the grease on the tap, the rest can be carefully removed with a shop rag,

Sounds like there is damage to the sealing area, what you've tried should have worked.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Tap it, but dip the tap in some grease, go slowly, and almost all of the chips with get captured in /the grease on the tap, the rest can be carefully removed with a shop rag,

Sounds like there is damage to the sealing area, what you've tried should have worked.

Mike

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Mike

Yea gonna see if the Loctite works but I'm doubting it. Gonna have to get a plug. Pep boys might have an aluminum allen plug so it sits flush

turismolover22
02-16-2014, 01:23 PM
If you take your time, use a shop vac with a small crevice tool by the tap when you drive it in, it should pull almost all the shavings in.

2.216VTurbo
02-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Judging by the crud under your cam seal and the 'channel' that's 'clean' where the oil is running down, my money is on your cam seal as the culprit...

iTurbo
02-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Loctite makes a core cap and plug sealant just for those.

If the cam cap seal is not available, you can put a special reverse rotation cam seal there. I'll try to dig up the part number if you want.

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Judging by the crud under your cam seal and the 'channel' that's 'clean' where the oil is running down, my money is on your cam seal as the culprit...

No this has a stream coming out of it when the engine runs.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the cam seal lol not yet atleast

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Mike

the grease worked better than I thought. Now or go get an aluminum plug

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Loctite makes a core cap and plug sealant just for those.

If the cam cap seal is not available, you can put a special reverse rotation cam seal there. I'll try to dig up the part number if you want.

Napa still has them. 4 bucks and ill have it tomorrow

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Found the front cam seal leaking so I'm gonna replace both front and rear and do a valve cover gasket to.

4 l-bodies
02-16-2014, 07:47 PM
It is a common 5/8" core plug. They are like .50-.75 from most auto parts stores. Clean it good & use a sleeve & bearing anaerobic sealant and it won't leak. Sounds like you already tapped it. I'm assuming and hoping 3/8" NPT tap?
Todd

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 08:36 PM
It is a common 5/8" core plug. They are like .50-.75 from most auto parts stores. Clean it good & use a sleeve & bearing anaerobic sealant and it won't leak. Sounds like you already tapped it. I'm assuming and hoping 3/8" NPT tap?
Todd

yep 3/8 npt and its already sealed up.

- - - Updated - - -

One question tho. On the cam seals. I think this is an osj head. Are the cam seals the same for all the heads?

4 l-bodies
02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
yep 3/8 npt and its already sealed up.

- - - Updated - - -

One question tho. On the cam seals. I think this is an osj head. Are the cam seals the same for all the heads?
Cam seals will be the same. The old 85 rear cam seal was an actual seal and not a plug (like the 86+). This seal is slightly larger so it wouldn't be mistakenly used on the other side. It also spins in the other direction, so it was directional.
Todd

2.216VTurbo
02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Found the front cam seal leaking so I'm gonna replace both front and rear and do a valve cover gasket to.

Hmm, imagine that:D

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Hmm, imagine that:D
Yep always right :hail: main thing is I don't want oil on this new clutch.

135sohc
02-16-2014, 10:26 PM
chrysler version of free rustproofing.

bgbmxer
02-16-2014, 10:32 PM
I am unsure the seals were even leaking. I didn't find any sealer on the end cam caps tho so that could explain the seepage in that area tho.

bgbmxer
02-17-2014, 09:39 PM
On the cam seals. Push them in till they are flush with the outside of the cam cap or the whole way in?

86Shelby
02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
All the way in.

bgbmxer
02-17-2014, 10:02 PM
All the way in.

My book says flush. The rear has a groove to stop it from going the whole way in the from doesn't tho

bgbmxer
02-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Installed the pass side cam seal flush and not the whole way in like then 2.2 performance book said. Hope that's right

cordes
02-18-2014, 12:55 AM
I just do them flush.