PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a Filter on their BOV?

nomadman2001
08-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Who uses a Filter on their BOV? I have a Talon 1G and like the way it sounds open ....... but I'm told I should put a filter on it. Seems to me that there would always be a positive pressure there even under decal but maybe I'm wrong.

mcsvt
08-31-2006, 04:52 PM
RFL wide open currently :D

Old 1g bov had a screen on it but it didn't quiet it down any.

Boost_Virgin
08-31-2006, 04:52 PM
I always have a filter on anything that might suck in air. They are cheep insureance

MiniMopar
08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't really care about the sound that much...I've just been too lazy to put a filter on it. It had a sock tie-wrapped to it for a while, but it disappeared.

DBB mini
08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
K&N :eyebrows:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/af12e98d.jpg

nomadman2001
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
I was thinking of an AC drain utter like the ones used on late model 'Vettes ( my nephew & I work on them frequently). It would act like a check valve with little or no restriction. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Whorse
08-31-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a Talon BOV and I use a moroso filter on it (meant as a crankcase breather, but it has the right opening size. The Talon is open a bit under vacuum so I use the filter for that reason. I also have it on the lower IC pipe, which means crap could get into my IC.

nomadman2001
08-31-2006, 08:47 PM
I have a Talon BOV and I use a moroso filter on it (meant as a crankcase breather, but it has the right opening size. The Talon is open a bit under vacuum so I use the filter for that reason. I also have it on the lower IC pipe, which means crap could get into my IC.
Mine is right after the turbo so I have a similar set-up. Does the filter cancel the sound of it opening and releasing pressure?

DBB mini
08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Mine is right after the turbo so I have a similar set-up. Does the filter cancel the sound of it opening and releasing pressure?
Sheesh mine is very loud with the filter. I wish it were quieter, makes a better sleeper. Everyone knows it's turbo'd!

nomadman2001
08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Sheesh mine is very loud with the filter. I wish it were quieter, makes a better sleeper. Everyone knows it's turbo'd!
Ya, still a novelty for me I guess :eyebrows: .

Whorse
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM

I find it's fairly loud, louder than stock, but not RFL loud. Has a good whoosh sound with less whistle when opened at low boost. Mine's right up front so cars around me hear it.

DBB mini
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Ya, still a novelty for me I guess :eyebrows: .
Hey, whatever toots your BOV!:lol:

Ondonti
09-01-2006, 03:16 AM
I can hear my 1g making funny high pitched sounds during certain driving manuveurs (no boost) so its not always "closed". Putting a filter on it was the least of my concerns though.

Mopar_Nutz
09-01-2006, 04:42 AM
I ran my 1g talon BOV for 3 years with no filter. Always felt kinda bad about it, but not enough to spend money on a filter. Then I bought a filter, and a Greddy Type S 3 days after so never used it. hahaha

And mine never did whistle either. Always a good clean gush of air. I liked it, but the Type S certainly is an attention getter. It's got a wicked blast of air followed by a bit of a chirp at higher boost. Just the chirp at lower boost(less than 7 psi).

Dave
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I've never ran a filter on any BOV. Neither has anyone in my family. None of us have ever sucked any crap in that would destroy a motor.

Seeing everyone here running a DSM BOV, have any of you noticed after letting the BOV off, even in vaccum, it seems to squeal? I've noticed ours did it and so does OhioRob's.

MiniMopar
09-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Mine will squeal a bit under certain conditions. At least it doesn't hoot like the Bosch BOVs do. Had one of those in my Shadow for a while. The SAAB guys call them hooters.

86lance
09-01-2006, 12:20 PM
i had one of those bosch BOV's as well. Sounds stupid. hoothoot

MiniMopar
09-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, you could tune the hoot by putting a tube on the outlet, LOL. I hooked it up to my air box, which shut it up. However, if I removed the SMEC-to-airbox duct, it would aquire the unpleasant sound of typical beer flatulence.

Darkapollo
09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
stupid idea. useless. blinker fluid would do you more good. THEY DO NOT SUCK IN AIR! EVEN WHEN NOT UNDER BOOST THERE IS PRESSURE IN THE CHARGE PIPE! ugh so tired of this 'put a filter on the BOV' crap... there will NEVER E V E R be vaccumm in the charge pipe NEVER EVER. because the ENGINE is under vacc does NOT mean that the charge pipe is under vacc. AT IDLE the turbo is still spinning producing moving air, not enough to create massive pressure but you put your hand over the BOV when it is 'open under vacc' and see if you can feel it SUCKIN IN air.. .you WONT. :mad:

MiniMopar
09-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Sorry sir, but that is not the case.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78858#post78858

When you open the throttle, there will be some time before the turbo spins up to catch up with the engine's demand for air. During that time the piping is under some vacuum. If you are particularly unlucky, like a piece of junk lands in the BOV outlet, it could get sucked in. Chances are it will never happen...but still.

Whorse
09-01-2006, 07:29 PM
stupid idea. useless. blinker fluid would do you more good. THEY DO NOT SUCK IN AIR! EVEN WHEN NOT UNDER BOOST THERE IS PRESSURE IN THE CHARGE PIPE! ugh so tired of this 'put a filter on the BOV' crap... there will NEVER E V E R be vaccumm in the charge pipe NEVER EVER. because the ENGINE is under vacc does NOT mean that the charge pipe is under vacc. AT IDLE the turbo is still spinning producing moving air, not enough to create massive pressure but you put your hand over the BOV when it is 'open under vacc' and see if you can feel it SUCKIN IN air.. .you WONT. :mad:

When I put my hand over the BOV it sucks my hand tight against it, and get's much harder as I blip the throttle. Talon BOVs draw a bit of air under vacuum unless modified.

Ondonti
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Sorry sir, but that is not the case.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78858#post78858

When you open the throttle, there will be some time before the turbo spins up to catch up with the engine's demand for air. During that time the piping is under some vacuum. If you are particularly unlucky, like a piece of junk lands in the BOV outlet, it could get sucked in. Chances are it will never happen...but still. This is exactly when my 1G squeals like I posted about earlier.

contraption22
09-02-2006, 04:51 PM

Uh... mine does. So do most others. Yours may not.

87glhs232
09-03-2006, 04:26 AM
In have a Bosch mounted INSIDE the air box. No matter what its filtered AND its almost inaudible, the way I like it. The Rustangs' and ricers have no idea I'm coming and what exactly just dusted them off :evil:

As for them sucking air. Most do to some degree. I have a turbo technologies BOV that I run on occasion, and it sucks some too.

Devsdaytona
09-28-2006, 02:14 AM
I have a stock 89 T1 BOV with a piece of sock as the filter("temparary"). The BOV is mounted on the lower i/c hose and it has a steady sound, I love it.

Novelty hasn't worn of for me either.