PDA

View Full Version : Lets not forget

Sgt Craig
02-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Its also the 25 yr Anniversay of the most fun vehicle to ever grace the road.Its brought smiles and tears to ricers and families everywhere.The 1989 Turbo Caravan and Voyager!Whos bringing them to SDAC 24!

2.216VTurbo
02-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Most fun or most *usefull*?? I cant bring em all but Woody and Whiteout and Bluewrench would certainly like to be there...

Turbodave
02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
My 89 will be there, heck, it's there already...lol

moparman76_69
02-18-2014, 12:00 AM
If the stars align, maybe.

BadAssPerformance
03-02-2014, 04:22 AM
So, are we going to have another go at "Top Van" this year!?

Sgt Craig
03-02-2014, 08:34 AM
So, are we going to have another go at "Top Van" this year!?

Im game but never had auto x before, kinda of scares me with a van.

wheming
03-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Well that's about perfect.
It doesn't look likely I'll make it. Will have to use alot of vacation time elsewhere in the year due to getting married. And need to try to find time to finish putting Mini back together. Not that she would be much competition for Joe's van anyway....

cordes
03-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Well that's about perfect.
It doesn't look likely I'll make it. Will have to use alot of vacation time elsewhere in the year due to getting married. And need to try to find time to finish putting Mini back together. Not that she would be much competition for Joe's van anyway....

Top gun is more than just the drag racing. A good score for the road rally and you've totally changed the points standings.

wheming
03-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Last year they didn't really seem thrilled to autox the vans. So it was the other 3 events that were the bread & butter. But if one had a van that could autox, they would have an advantage. Its important to try and particpate in all of the categories to get some points at least, but it certainly helps to be really good at a couple.

cordes
03-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Last year they didn't really seem thrilled to autox the vans. So it was the other 3 events that were the bread & butter. But if one had a van that could autox, they would have an advantage. Its important to try and particpate in all of the categories to get some points at least, but it certainly helps to be really good at a couple.

That's true. Technically speaking I don't think the SCCA allows autocrossing of vans, trucks or SUVs. IIRC someone on here was quoted as saying that the CSRT4 was the only "crossover" type vehicle allowed to join in the fun. That would be a pretty strict set of rules since I view the Caliber as firmly in car territory. I'm not sure if that has changed.

BadAssPerformance
03-02-2014, 04:30 PM
AutoXing vans will be a year to year thing depending on the SCCA (or other) club that we work with on hosting/insuring the event for us. Minivans are not necessarily banned from AutoX competition but they fall into the same category of other "high CG" vehicles. If we had some actual data of the CG of a production stock and lowered vans, that might help the cause.

Also, keep in mind, although Joe's van is quick, he did not win the inaugural Top Van last year

Ondonti
03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Gotta keep those turbo jeeps banned too :P

BadAssPerformance
03-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that, an XJ from the factory would not be allowed... wonder if they got out the scales and levers to confirm the CG was "safe" ?

ajakeski
03-02-2014, 11:29 PM
My 89 will be there, heck, it's there already...lol

All your cars are there already.

moparman76_69
03-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Just for the record a van won the road rally at 21

Turbodave
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Just for the record a van won the road rally at 21

And 15

Pat
03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that, an XJ from the factory would not be allowed... wonder if they got out the scales and levers to confirm the CG was "safe" ?

Looking at the Jeep in person, it's easy to see that it's safe to autox. It's much lower than you think. At this last years challenge, I watched fastasleep's stock CSX lean way more than the Jeep does!

Rrider
03-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Can you even get a stock height mini up on two wheels? It slides out before that happens.