PDA

View Full Version : Consulier GTP eligible for TOP GUN ?

168glhs1986
01-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Dear SDAC Officials......is the Consulier eligible for TOP GUN award? If not I will probably bring the GLHS.

Please let me know well in advance.

Thank you.

MIke

Pat
01-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Bring it on!

168glhs1986
01-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Bring it on!

5 more months of bench racing. Love it. Pat you and i dont even have a running car and we are talking smack! Carroll, what ye say?

168glhs1986
01-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Back on topic. Consulier GTP eligible for Top Gun?

Lotashelbys
01-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Everyone but yours Mike! Muhahahaha!!!!

168glhs1986
02-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Everyone but yours Mike! Muhahahaha!!!!

Thats cold Jackson! Whats going on in that heated garage of yours anyway? Care to share?

cordes
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Isn't it tradition that they're allowed in for a year or so and then outlawed?

wheming
02-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Nice Brian! ;)
Then that can be added to the Consulier's resume!

168glhs1986
02-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Isn't it tradition that they're allowed in for a year or so and then outlawed?

I couldn't find the Top Gun rules on SDAC website. I know they were handed out last year but I found out all the rules aren't posted on the rules sheet......

At last years registration table I informed the officers of my intentions of leaving on Sunday and asked if I was eligible for Top Gun. They were unsure because this issue had never come up before and were going to think about it.

After winning the autorcross on Saturday, I handed off my car to Mike Marra and headed to South Florida to pickup the Consulier. Mike picked up the 86 GLHS 1st place award on Sunday, Competed in the road rally on Monday and Drags on Tuesday making quick 8 and of course the car would have scored the 4 point bonus awarded for competing in all four events. Only to find out on Wednesday that I had been disqualified due to the car having 2 drivers. Don't worry, no sour grapes here.....

So just wanted to plan in advance this time and wondering what cars are eligible for the Top Gun award ? Is it open to any make / model ? Open to any make as long as it's powered by a Chrysler motor ? Open to only Chryslers with Chryslers motors ?

For example if Brian Cordes came into sudden wealth and attended with his new Twin Turbo 1100 hp Lambo Aventador would he be eligible for Top Gun?

JT and Dave, thoughts ?

sdac guy
02-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I couldn't find the Top Gun rules on SDAC website. I know they were handed out last year but I found out all the rules aren't posted on the rules sheet......

At last years registration table I informed the officers of my intentions of leaving on Sunday and asked if I was eligible for Top Gun. They were unsure because this issue had never come up before and were going to think about it.

After winning the autorcross on Saturday, I handed off my car to Mike Marra and headed to South Florida to pickup the Consulier. Mike picked up the 86 GLHS 1st place award on Sunday, Competed in the road rally on Monday and Drags on Tuesday making quick 8 and of course the car would have scored the 4 point bonus awarded for competing in all four events. Only to find out on Wednesday that I had been disqualified due to the car having 2 drivers. Don't worry, no sour grapes here.....

So just wanted to plan in advance this time and wondering what cars are eligible for the Top Gun award ? Is it open to any make / model ? Open to any make as long as it's powered by a Chrysler motor ? Open to only Chryslers with Chryslers motors ?

For example if Brian Cordes came into sudden wealth and attended with his new Twin Turbo 1100 hp Lambo Aventador would he be eligible for Top Gun?

JT and Dave, thoughts ?

Top Gun is a driver event, not a car event. So, yes, only one driver per entry. The rule for cars competing at SDAC has been, if the driver is an SDAC member, they can enter any car they bring for the events (I suppose even Top Gun). Non-SDAC members may only enter SD or TM cars in events.

And as said, JT or Dave, comment?

Barry

168glhs1986
02-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Top Gun is a driver event, not a car event. So, yes, only one driver per entry. The rule for cars competing at SDAC has been, if the driver is an SDAC member, they can enter any car they bring for the events (I suppose even Top Gun). Non-SDAC members may only enter SD or TM cars in events.

Barry

Thanks Barry....if I could add one thing...Like SDAC members, Team Shelby members can also compete with the car of their choice.

Rrider
02-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Yes allow it until it wins then ban it. Perfect idea right there...

BadAssPerformance
02-01-2014, 03:08 PM

Barry

Thanks Barry.

Mike, We had some discussion behind the scenes about this as it was a first for us to consider. The decision was made that the driver needed to remain the same, and this is as Barry mentioned, it is a driver event, and so someone doesnt have Barry Miles Auto X their car and Reeves Drag Race it LOL...

I guess the way I see it, it is meant to be a driver/car event, so an entry would be for one specific driver/car combo. So for example, If I were to put my Z into the show and drag race, but then Auto X and fun rally my Shadow, I would not be elidgible for running all 4 event bonus and would have to pick the car I would like to use points for.

As for elidgible cars... Our roots are Shelby Dodges and inspired cars, which the GTP is.

Now, if it was a GTP with an LS1 in it or something that looked like a random Mosler creation, that probably wouldnt fly... well, I'm sure it would fly! but you know what I mean LOL!

168glhs1986
02-01-2014, 03:46 PM
^^ haha. Why would anyone make a car slower by removing the turbo dodge motor and adding an LS motor? Crazy talk.

Also well said on the one car / one driver combo. However Spiro has an identical twin........What if Peter subs for Spiro for the drags ? They have identical DNA so technically they are the same person just using a different name and leading separate lives.

Cool, thanks for giving the Consulier the thumbs up. Brian, the build is back on so please put the motor back in the car, lol.

Thanks JT.

fishcleaner
02-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Somebody needs to enter a Consulier or Omni at this event, Ultimate track car challenge

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/UTCC14/

Johnny
02-02-2014, 01:29 AM
I have read about those cars. A Consulier in near stock form would get it's assss kicked.
A hot rod version…..might be in the pack.

stewdaddy23
02-02-2014, 01:36 AM
No, someone needs to do this!!!!!
http://341challenge.com/about-341-challenge-hill-climb/
would love to see a 86 GLHS or a GTP do this event.

turboshad
02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I agree with the comments. Heck, the stiffer the Top Gun competition is the more rewarding it is to win. :thumb:

fishcleaner
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
^ that's the truth, anybody that wins top gun could compete with a modern performance car and do it with antique tags on it.

168glhs1986
02-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Somebody needs to enter a Consulier or Omni at this event, Ultimate track car challenge

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/UTCC14/

Working on my competitive license so I can join the fun.

Also is the Consulier Banned from One Lap still ? I'd like to compete in that as well.

Pat
02-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Working on my competitive license so I can join the fun.

Also is the Consulier Banned from One Lap still ? I'd like to compete in that as well.

Are you serious about UTCC? If so, we should talk. I have an idea. :-)

moparman76_69
02-02-2014, 06:45 PM
UTCC would be awesome. I'm sure you can email the one lap people to see about getting in.

168glhs1986
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Are you serious about UTCC? If so, we should talk. I have an idea. :-)

Takes 5 days and $7000 to get your competitive license.

168glhs1986
02-02-2014, 07:35 PM
No, someone needs to do this!!!!!
http://341challenge.com/about-341-challenge-hill-climb/
would love to see a 86 GLHS or a GTP do this event.

Was very excited to see this until i clicked and saw it was in Nevada :(.

Very cool event, but no burnouts allowed, lol

Turbodave
02-04-2014, 06:23 PM

JT and Dave, thoughts ?

For 2014 we will add a rule that gives an extra 1000 points if Cordes can fit in and drive an Aventador with a helmet on.

cordes
02-04-2014, 10:28 PM
For 2014 we will add a rule that gives an extra 1000 points if Cordes can fit in and drive an Aventador with a helmet on.

You bring one and I'll get into it. As my grandfather told me once, it's amazing what you can fit into under certain circumstances. IIRC he got into a Viper when they were brand new. Perhaps the largest guy to do so to date.

Turbodave
02-05-2014, 12:05 PM
You bring one and I'll get into it. As my grandfather told me once, it's amazing what you can fit into under certain circumstances. IIRC he got into a Viper when they were brand new. Perhaps the largest guy to do so to date.

When the vipers were new they didn't have roofs on them.