PDA

View Full Version : 98 jeep 5.9 limited fuel issue

clocktowersniper
01-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Has anyone ever had an issue with a cranking issue on cold start? Mine seems to need a double start so to speak. You have to crank it then stop. Then crank and it will fire right up. It only does this on a cold start. It wounds like the pump is priming fine. I was thinking pressure regulator may be bad or something allowing pressure to bleed down. Am I headed in the right direction on this?

contraption22
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
My 4.0 seems to take a while to fire. I've gotten into the habbit of turning the key to on for a few seconds before cranking.

clocktowersniper
01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah that doesn't work. For some reason it needs to be cranked for a few seconds then cranked again and she fires right up.

bigbarneycars
01-31-2014, 03:02 PM
Because of the temps. we've all been dealing with it might be just letting the fuel start vaporizing ah little and then TA-TAH!

shackwrrr
01-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Sounds like the pump is fine but the check valve in the pump isn't sealing. Put a gauge on it and see how fast it bleeds off. The regulator is on the pump so if the tank is coming down just get the whole thing with the regulator on it.

clocktowersniper
01-31-2014, 05:07 PM
That's what I suspected. I wasn't sure where the regulator was. So you answered both of my questions then. Thank you. Its actually been doing that since I owned it, Like 4 years. Another weird thing and may be coincidence. If I unhook the battery and reconnect it, It starts right up on the first shot.

turbodaytona87
01-31-2014, 05:55 PM
My 4.0 seems to take a while to fire. I've gotten into the habbit of turning the key to on for a few seconds before cranking.

For your issue, does the check engine light come on right away, have you ever taken a look at the capacitors in the ECU?

clocktowersniper
01-31-2014, 06:02 PM
No I never looked at the ECU but my check engine light is on all the time because I don't have a cat or o2.
Is the ECU the one on the firewall in the engine bay?
Does anyone have a fuse panel schematic for both fuse panels?
And also on the auto lighting feature, What are the components to that? You have the switch and a sensor right? I tested the switch as good. Is the sensor the one on the left top of dash?

clocktowersniper
01-31-2014, 07:07 PM
I figured out the lighting thing. I am actually working on 2 different Jeeps....

HSKR
02-01-2014, 03:58 AM
Next time you go to start it, turn the key to on and listen for the fuel pump. When the fuel pump stops running, turn the key off for a few seconds, then back on and listen for the pump again. When the pump shuts off the second time try starting it. If it starts right up after the second key cycle then your anti-bleedback valve is bad allowing the fuel to drain out of the rails back into the tank. It's part of the fuel pump/pressure regulator assembly.

clocktowersniper
02-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Fun stuff! I guess I will be doing a fuel pump in the future.