PDA

View Full Version : 400 Horse, 88 pound, 3 cylinder Nissan

johnl
01-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Also designed to be incorporated into a racing gas/electric hybrid.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/01/27/nissan-reveals-400-hp-three-cylinder-engine-for-lemans-racer/?intcmp=features

(http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/01/27/nissan-reveals-400-hp-three-cylinder-engine-for-lemans-racer/?intcmp=features)

fishcleaner
01-28-2014, 08:19 PM
you treed me,
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-unveils-revolutionary-engine-to-complement-electric-zeod-rc-powerplant

While American car companies are working hard at maximizing profits for the shareholders, it's nice to know others are working on problems. This engine has potential for anything, can't wait to see it at LeMons.

tryingbe
01-28-2014, 09:16 PM
I need one in a Elio, stat!

johnl
01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
How about swapping one into an Omni?

ShelGame
01-29-2014, 11:10 PM
If you look closely at the pics, I think you'll notice it's got several very unique design features.

1. From the looks of the water jacket in the head, I believe it has no head gasket, or at least an oil-only gasket.
2. The head bolts are in the crankcase. Look at the end of the head. The headbolt bosses are not open at the top.

With no headgasket to worry about, boost is pretty much only limited by what the piston/rod/crank can take. Cool stuff...

Reaper1
01-30-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm fairly certain Nissan is being sued for patent infringement because this is basically a copy of the Delta Wing car.

If you look closely at the pics, I think you'll notice it's got several very unique design features.

1. From the looks of the water jacket in the head, I believe it has no head gasket, or at least an oil-only gasket.
2. The head bolts are in the crankcase. Look at the end of the head. The headbolt bosses are not open at the top.

With no headgasket to worry about, boost is pretty much only limited by what the piston/rod/crank can take. Cool stuff...

Sounds similar to the old Offenhauser engines and some old Mercury Marine outboard engines ...hmmmm....

Dr. Johny Dodge
03-06-2014, 02:53 PM
all I can think is ... wicked motor for garden tractor raceing ..

or maybe a jet drive sea flea

Tbird232ci
03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Or on a motorcycle...

johnl
03-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Or on a motorcycle...

Yes, that was my first thought but it would have to be de-tuned.

Tbird232ci
03-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Yes, that was my first thought but it would have to be de-tuned.

Why??

bgbmxer
03-26-2014, 06:23 PM
This is the technology that I like to see. Does look like a copy of the delta wing. I'd like to see this class go far. Another cool thing I have seen is an air actuated valve train by one of the super car makers.

Reaper1
03-27-2014, 07:31 PM
You are thinking of Koeniggsegg. I saw the article that said that it is air actuated, but if you watch the videos that they have put out about it, it is described as being electric "solenoids". I think the confusion comes from that the F1 cars use Nitrogen filled "bags" for valve springs, so they are considered semi-pneumatic. The electrically controlled valve system was tried back in the early/mid '90's, but didn't get far due to technology limits at the time.

bgbmxer
03-28-2014, 04:08 AM
You are thinking of Koeniggsegg. I saw the article that said that it is air actuated, but if you watch the videos that they have put out about it, it is described as being electric "solenoids". I think the confusion comes from that the F1 cars use Nitrogen filled "bags" for valve springs, so they are considered semi-pneumatic. The electrically controlled valve system was tried back in the early/mid '90's, but didn't get far due to technology limits at the time.

In the vids I watched they had it running on an old Saab and they claimed some huge gains in power and fuel efficiency by being able to do whatever they wanted with the profile of the cam basically and also said the only thing limiting an engines rpm would be the bottom end holding together. Awsome stuff

Reaper1
04-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Yup, same car, same engine, and same video. This is a new video with a magazine editor in it (I think I got that right).