PDA

View Full Version : J body Lebaron convertable boot question

TopDollar69
08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I just got a used boot for my 89 GTC. I'm having troubles figuring out what holds the middle up along the rear edge. It looks like I'm missing a piece or something according to the owners manual. Is there a bracket or something thats supposed attached to the chrome molding that runs along the rear of the top well?

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

Whorse
08-31-2006, 12:00 AM
It's right on the rear seat. Shoud just clip to it. The very back side just flaps around in the wind a bit, but it's heavy so it's usually not a problem.

MoparN75
08-31-2006, 05:00 AM
I have an 88 Labaron and the rear of my boot has a lip that slides through a plastic piece just forward of the chrome trim. It runs nearly the length of the back side of the boot. Also two tabs are on the outside edges of the boot, they are to be tucked into this same piece of molding on the outer edges. I know...not explained very well...

TopDollar69
08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
I think Im missing the plastic piece that runs the length of the crome trim on the rear. I will have to look at a couple of convertables in the junk yard.

Thanks,

Ben Huebner

BIGBRUDDA
08-31-2006, 08:43 AM
If I remember correctly::confused: Ya hook the front lip then tug like hell to snap the rear in position.(or vice/versa)When it sagged I'd bump the top up button till it looked good.:o I'd bridge the topwell with a 2x6 when parading the prom queen around too:cheer2:

Reaper1
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
IIRC first you slide the front egde through the rear seat C-trim. Then there are two prongs that are supposed to slide in to the trim at the corners of the rear chrome trim along the back. After that you clip the two hold downs on each side that are on top of the b-pillars. I do know that there are two ways that these boots are held on. Some use chrome bunge clips in the back with a different kind of front holding mechanism. The other is this style I just oulined. I've never run in to the other kind of set-up to actually use it, but I know my '89 had it. I couldn't use the later boot I got for a '91-95. I had to go to the yard and get the propper trim peiced to work. Once I sis that it worked GREAT!