PDA

View Full Version : What's the best suspension for an L body?

zin
08-30-2006, 08:25 PM
With such a tantalizing title, I should clarify what my goals are. To that point that are: 1. Keep as close to factory as possible. 2. Not spend much more than I paid for the car ($275.00). 3. have a suspension that will handle very well and deal with 300+ HP. The car is a solid, but pretty used up 86 GLHT with an auto conversion, so it needs the suspension rebuilt and if I'm going to do it, I'd like to do it right and only once (if I can get away with it). I've got the parts to do the 4-wheel disc upgrade (solid rears), so you can see I'm trying to keep with MOPAR factory parts for ease of replacement and cost effectiveness. Well, that’s about it, don’t be afraid to suggest something that might not quite keep to my financial goal, as a good enough idea could be worth the extra $$, and thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Mike

tryingbe
08-31-2006, 01:28 AM
You said BEST suspension.

http://www.polybushings.com/
Sway bars, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings, motor mount busings.

http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/Product.asp?IDCatalog=45&ProductID=762
Koni Coilover Kit for L-bodies

turbovanman²
08-31-2006, 01:48 AM
+1 but if you can't afford that, get the Koni struts and shocks.

zin
08-31-2006, 04:50 PM
+1 but if you can't afford that, get the Koni struts and shocks.

Well, I will agree the Coil overs would be very nice, but that's a bit out of the budget right now.

I will be getting some of Jonny's stuff for sure, but I'm also looking for info/advice about beefing up the A-arms, K-member and such. I've got the complete K-frame from a 89 CSX VNT car. I thought I read something about later cars having better A-arms. I'm also thinking about using the spings from that car (once I get them off the struts). I'm a little worried about the heavier front springs unbalancing the car though. I'm not above much, other than spending a load of cash right now.

tryingbe
08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
You can't use the springs, contorl arms, or struts from your CSX for the Omni. L-bodies' stuff are unique.

You could use the mini van contorl arm, reweld the K-frame.

Read below.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91330

zin
08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
You can't use the springs, contorl arms, or struts from your CSX for the Omni. L-bodies' stuff are unique.

You could use the mini van contorl arm, reweld the K-frame.

Read below.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91330
Thanks for the link, lots of good info there, but they actually mention swapping in mini arms and that they would be an upgrade for most TD, including the L bodies, which makes me believe that most of the arms are the same regardless of body(?). There was mention of a need to mill the knuckle from the mini because of a requirement to use 13" wheels, but I don't think you could pay me enough to run 13s!. I just don't know if I want to use the ones I've got or go get a set of mini arms. I'll have to see if they are braced or not.

Simon, since you are the resident mini expert, do you know if the bolt pattern used on the minis are the same 5 x 100 as the Omni? I'm thinking it might be cool to get the larger pattern so the bigger wheels from the later/larger cars might fit. Of course that's only 1/2 the program, if the rear stub axles won't go it's a no-go.

Thanks for the input guys, the links are helpful and any advice is welcome. Like I've said, I'd like to get it as close to perfect as I can the 1st time. Not that it will be, but that just means that fewer revisions later. (like swapping to the coil overs once everything else is done and my money tree starts to produce!).

Mike

4cefedomni
09-01-2006, 01:08 AM
all early control arms have the same dimensions, on my omni i put mini ones on it. i used kyb gr2 shocks and struts and a coilover kit off ebay for a first gen mitsubishi eclipse i got a dropzone brand kit and it seems to be of decent quality. as for the bolt pattern minivans came with two possibilities the standard 5x100 on the 15 inch rims and for the 16 inch rims they used 5x114.3 (4.5 inches) on my omni i used the knuckles from a 92 mini with 16 inch rims so i got the 11.25 inch rotors (beware it will affect your camber alot and you might have to get a camber plate) i used a swaybar from a lancer turbo its 1 1/8 inch and because the lancer is wider i had to trim the ends a little. as for the k member they are specific to l-bodies and the l-bodies were not in production when the cast control arms came about so no dice there. and use polyurethane bushings. because my car now has 2 different bolt patterns i had to get aftermarket rims with both those sizes. 17 inch rims will fit on l-bodies and you need to measure your rims to find what backspace you need i believe mine are 5.5 inch backspace on 7 inch wide so they have a 40mm offset.

travis_k
09-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Its going to cost alot more than $275 to rebuild the suspension on your car. Really, one good strut will cost that much or more. But, without spending alot of money, the best thing to do would be to just rebuild everything with new stock parts. (that doesnt mean you cant add minivan control arms, etc) but dont start changing springs and swaybars before you fix all the worn out parts that you have now. I put a set of minivan control arms on my car, and honestly they make no difference at all. Im actually going to take them off and put the stock ones back on because they are so much lighter. For the price raange you are looking for, i would say just replace all of the rubber bushings with either new rubber or poly, and get some new stock replacement struts and upper spring perches, replace the ball joints and tie rod ends, and get some decent tires. Once you do that, you can go back later and add bigger swaybars, better springs and struts, etc. There is no reason to replace the knuckles in the front, just keep the stock ones. Just keep the stock rims for now, or get some lighter 15x7s, 17s are too big for a little car like that. Id also skip the rear disc brake swap, all it does it just add extra weight and make it eaiser to service them. IMO its not really worth the trouble of swapping them.