PDA

View Full Version : winter beater suspension lift

Fox
01-21-2014, 03:26 AM
just wondering here can the van struts and springs be used to raise a car , say i bolted a set in what would happen?

i heard about using cut jeep Cherokee coils for a stiffer spring rate i'm thinking i can lift the rear with those if i don't cut much off. what springs am i looking for exactly?

my goal would be slightly better ground clearance, not racecar handling or anything

contraption22
01-21-2014, 11:32 AM
I know people have used Gbody struts to lower a van. I would think using van struts on a car would do the opposite.

85boostbox
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
You could do air shocks in the back to raise the rear. I would imagine raising the front with van struts could be done with no ill effect.

Paul

Rrider
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
All the angles would still be ok?

shackwrrr
01-21-2014, 12:52 PM
The right axle shaft (if using unequal length) would hit the K frame at a very low lift. You could however put spacers between the K frame and body to fix the angles. This is what the mobility van companies do.

On the rear, longer shocks and springs would easily lift it.

A.J.
01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
just wondering here can the van struts and springs be used to raise a car , say i bolted a set in what would happen?

i heard about using cut jeep Cherokee coils for a stiffer spring rate i'm thinking i can lift the rear with those if i don't cut much off. what springs am i looking for exactly?

my goal would be slightly better ground clearance, not racecar handling or anything

Here's what I did/do: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?34333-Raising-a-FWD-Chrysler&highlight=

The right axle shaft (if using unequal length) would hit the K frame at a very low lift. You could however put spacers between the K frame and body to fix the angles. This is what the mobility van companies do.

On the rear, longer shocks and springs would easily lift it.

You are correct. You need equal length axles otherwise the right one will hit the K-frame but only when the suspension is fully extended. The shop that I worked for in NH serviced 2nd gen wheelchair Caravans that were lifted and they were fine until we raised them on a lift and the wheels hug all the way down.

Fox
01-21-2014, 11:45 PM
thanks for the info guys,i thought there might be some rubbing issues now i know what i'll need to do it. might be a project for over the summer

Aries_Turbo
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
i did this with a friend to a shadow years ago.

had to use the equal length axles.

had tires from someones cherokee on it. 235-70-15 i think lol.

it was HIGH.

it was AWESOME!! :)

yes the tires rubbed lol.

it needed the K frame dropped a little. also needed shock extensions or longer shocks and the rear panhard lengthened.

Brian

contraption22
01-22-2014, 09:51 PM
i did this with a friend to a shadow years ago.

had to use the equal length axles.

had tires from someones cherokee on it. 235-70-15 i think lol.

it was HIGH.

it was AWESOME!! :)

yes the tires rubbed lol.

it needed the K frame dropped a little. also needed shock extensions or longer shocks and the rear panhard lengthened.

Brian

That's freakin cool!!!

Fox
01-23-2014, 12:57 AM
cool thats exactly what i'm trying to do

Aries_Turbo
01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
cool thats exactly what i'm trying to do

well get ready to cut and trim various parts of the body/fenders/etc.

also, stretch the CV boots out some on the small end (slide the end further down the axle) so the CV parts dont cut the boot.

lower the k frame a bit will help too. the rear k frame mounting points have pegs integrated in the studs to locate the k frame. you would want to make some sort of spacer that has a peg integral to it to locate the k frame securely.

the front you can just use spacers and longer bolts.

we used 89 2wd s-10 front springs in the back. they were a little too stiff and the shocks would bottom out cause we didnt make spacers yet or use longer shocks yet.

a spacer and dynasty springs and shock tab spacers would have been pretty ideal.

Brian